Weekend Service Disruptions on the 1 to wrap up New SF work

MTR Admiralty

1 Subway Service Suspensions in November

As construction work winds down at the South Ferry subway terminal, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) will suspend 1-train service downtown on the weekend of November and 29. Every Saturday night at 12:01 a.m. through Monday at 5 a.m. service will terminate at 14th Street. Free shuttle buses will run between Chambers Street and South Ferry during the outages, which allow crews to test the new station’s electrical systems and subway tracks. The terminal is expected to open by late December 2008.

Original Text

This interruption will allow crews to test the new signalling system. According to the site's South Ferry page, train crews are being trained for that station. The elevator/escalator is in place. The Dept of Parks and the MTA is in the process of designing a new bus loop outside Whitehall Ferry Terminal. Final utility work on Whitehall St in winter 2008/early 2009.

South Ferry Page

Pretty exciting!

No (1) at SF during the weekends is gonna suck for all those people getting off the ferry.

Guess they're gonna have to hit the (4)(5) at BG.

Yea I have to sympathise with the Staten Islanders. However, they could get the (Q) at Whitehall (remember this G.O weekend: (N) Broadway Express, (Q) Broadway Local via Whitehall (R) 6th Ave via Bridge).

And by the way, they have new entrances as well as the mezzanine-street level lift. Work is going pretty fast there.

Yea I have to sympathise with the Staten Islanders. However, they could get the (Q) at Whitehall (remember this G.O weekend: (N) Broadway Express, (Q) Broadway Local via Whitehall (R) 6th Ave via Bridge).

And by the way, they have new entrances as well as the mezzanine-street level lift. Work is going pretty fast there.

Yup...I'm told it might be ready to open by December 19...

subject to change of course...

the exact day of opening is 12/21/08.

Makes sense... they usually open something up on a Sunday. Examples include the 2002 opening of the IRT tunnel in Lower Manhattan (the restoration of 3 service in Brooklyn and 1 service to SF), the 2004 Manhattan Bridge changes and I believe both the Manhattan Bridge Reroute with the <Q>(Q)(W) and the 63rd Street Tunnel Connector service began on Sundays.

There is possibly bugs on my other computer which tend to randomly post my post on another thread... Goodness, I am going to reinstall my OS!!!

And yes, I hate how the MTA is having so much disruption but I like how the MTA is updating it's infrstracture to meet the needs of the 21st century...

-I don't see how bugs could do that... I mean, you could look at where it says THREAD.

-If the MTA wants to update its ageing infrastructure, it has to mess up the service. I mean I know the weekend service disruptions are a real pain in the ass, but I know that they are trying to fix some things up. Honestly, I could do away with normal service for 2 days for a couple weeks rather than to wait for something to go awry in the future and mess it all up.

Read it in the Downtown Express; supposedly the Port isn't finish with the 1 underpinning. They have to dig well below the "tunnel" in order to get the machines from one side of The Pit to the other. The Port built a wall on Silverstein's Tower 4 footprint, and Silverstein needs the area to be clear so he could begin building, however the Port said the wall is needed because the underpinning is not done yet.

Oh wow, more disruptions.

Archived