Flushing Line Improvements

Chris89292

40 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Once again the project to renovate 82nd and 111 street has been delayed again for 4 weeks, this is getting ridiculous, these stations will never open, the contractors are horrible

Better to do that than open pre-maturely and have an accident that gets more negative PR than this. I do get the complaints about the time it’s taken to complete one side of the renovation.

The biggest April fools joke is when the MTA planned service changes always pushes the (7) project for weeks….. hopefully the date doesn’t get changed again, pretty sure the community has the right to complain, 10-11 months of renovations is unacceptable, they can force the contractors to do their jobs quickly 

The contractors is finally installing the first pair of windscreens at 111 Street, and the white sheets have finally been removed to see the ongoing work, Also there is still work happening at 61st Street, not sure what they’re doing, but there’s been activity going on behind those blue walls

On 4/1/2024 at 1:30 PM, Chris89292 said:

The biggest April fools joke is when the MTA planned service changes always pushes the (7) project for weeks….. hopefully the date doesn’t get changed again, pretty sure the community has the right to complain, 10-11 months of renovations is unacceptable, they can force the contractors to do their jobs quickly 

They should have included a penalty for delays, like they did for the (L) project

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

When they finish the Manhattan bound side of 82nd, will the Flushing bound side immediately close down ?

Yes, with this ridiculous 5 month delay, they’ll most likely close it down immediately. There is already construction scaffolding ready beneath the flushing bound platforms and behind the windscreens/walls of the station. 

It seems like work is beginning to happen fast at both 82nd and 111 street stations, the new windscreens are beginning to see shape, for the first time the (7) is seeing actual station renewals rather than the project being part of ADA accessible improvements renovation, which were seen in the past when Court Square and 74th Street were renovated. It took exactly 9 years for this project to see light, with each year passing, it seems like no contract was set at all.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:28 PM, Chris89292 said:

It seems like work is beginning to happen fast at both 82nd and 111 street stations, the new windscreens are beginning to see shape, for the first time the (7) is seeing actual station renewals rather than the project being part of ADA accessible improvements renovation, which were seen in the past when Court Square and 74th Street were renovated. It took exactly 9 years for this project to see light, with each year passing, it seems like no contract was set at all.

I've been using the railroad more for the past couple of weeks for convenience, but I'll try to check it out over the weekend or something cause I'm curious to see how it's taking shape.

18 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Here is a quick useless fact: The Court Square Station on the (7) was renovated in just 4 months, meanwhile it’s taking 11 months to renovate both 82nd and 111 Street stations. 

The (7) platform was closed for 4 months yes but I’m sure work was being done beforehand, AND the (7) ran only on weekdays during the closure. There was no night or weekend (7) train service through the area. But yes 11 months is way too long for a station rehab in ONE direction. Even the ESI stations in Astoria finished faster 

Sad news everyone, 34th Street Hudson yards will receive platform barriers, I just saw the marks on the floor, this is a terrible idea since the station will look so off, and there is no reason to add barriers there at all😒

5 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

"In Queens, Manhattan-bound  (7) skips 111 St and 82 St-Jackson Hts Through early 2024"

It's April 11th and there is no sign work is about to be completed. 

Supposedly it’s going to reopen by April 19th, 82nd Street almost looks complete, but 111 Street still lacks on completion, im more worried about the mezzanine level, since the area isn’t completed for both stations. This is what happens when they only close one platform at a time, they should’ve closed both platforms without passengers around to disrupt work.

With the redevelopment of the neighborhood Willets Point in Queens, the MTA should start planning to make the Mets Willets point station ADA accessible, and a full station renewal work before the redevelopment work is done, before 2026

Today at 82nd Street, the new windscreens/walls are 100% compete, they’re just awaiting to install the Green frames that are always added on every renovated station, it seems like the MTA will add art work on certain areas, similar to the ones on the (F) and (D) stations. Sadly the huge “82” sign won’t return to the station.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:17 PM, Chris89292 said:

Sad news everyone, 34th Street Hudson yards will receive platform barriers, I just saw the marks on the floor, this is a terrible idea since the station will look so off, and there is no reason to add barriers there at all😒

Even with the slow speeds, people can be hit and/or killed by a heavy slow moving train. Some people are stupid enough to push a person onto the tracks at random even if its at a terminal.

Any plans to put up any platform barrier at Grand Central ? 

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I remember such barriers near the east end of the platform since the 1970's since it appears to be able to handle almost 12 cars. 

5 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

Any plans to put up any platform barrier at Grand Central ? 

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I remember such barriers near the east end of the platform since the 1970's since it appears to be able to handle almost 12 cars. 

Seems like there is yellow marks on the floor, indicating future “pilot” platform barriers, which in this case it makes sense, there is enough space to add them there. 

So as of today, April 19th will be the official opening date for 82nd Street and 111 Street stations, hopefully this time it stays like that, 82nd street looks 85% complete, The contractors have installed new steel benches, the PA system is fully installed, the help point’s are installed, and other utilities have been done, 111 Street still lacks on this, but hopefully it’s done by then.

New stairs at 82nd Street Left corner of Roosevelt Avenue, it’s not fully completed as of now, by the way I don’t think the mezzanine will be fully completed anytime soon, I believe once the other stairs are finished they will repair the mezzanine area. The MTA is hiring anyone right now to do these projects, where are the old contractors😒

Finally the first signs are being installed on both stations, sadly 111 Street won’t be fully completed by tomorrow, that’s why I think the contractors covered the area in green walls, but at least the station is partially renovated, new platforms, new stairs, they’re the most important parts of the project 

Posted (edited)

Today the stations are opening at 5 PM, they’re not entirely complete, but it’ll finally reopen after 11 months of delays

The first Manhattan bound (7) will stop at 111 Street at exactly 5:03 PM

Edited by Chris89292