Flushing Line Improvements

Chris89292

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

So is it true that <7> service will remain in its curtailed state till 2025 or 2026?  I saw that posted on Reddit recently and that would be a tremendous change if it were true compared to what they sold the public last year.

As of now there’s lack of official information, especially with the whole temporary platforms that are supposed to be installed at 46th, 40th, and 33rd street stations, with trains stopping at the middle track during station closures at 52nd and 69th street, the project at 61st street has been delayed as well, extending the suspension of express service from Queensboro to 74th street

Right now at the Grand central 42nd St Station, the contractors have installed new steel structures above the station, seems like they are using advantage of the GO on the (7) to complete work at the station

On 12/28/2023 at 9:07 AM, 7-express said:

The last time they tried dropping the names in the late 90s, local Sunnyside folks opposed and restored the old names.  Demographics of the area have changed a bit in the last 20ish years so an attempt now may not see as much opposition.  Especially since there wasn't a peep when the Astoria stations dropped the alternate old names.

25 years ago you still had many more people born before WW II living there and they were used to the old names.  Many of them have since passed away and have been replaced by those who were not even born when those names were changed, and most likely well after they were changed.  

14 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

25 years ago you still had many more people born before WW II living there and they were used to the old names.  Many of them have since passed away and have been replaced by those who were not even born when those names were changed, and most likely well after they were changed.  

The problem is the community boards are ran by old farts.

46 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

The problem is the community boards are ran by old farts.

They are probably run by “ old farts “ because the young people don’t vote because they’re too busy worrying about new trains and buses. A man whom I was taught by and respected 40 years ago said that people were getting dumber instead of smarter as each new generation took over. He was a former USMC drill instructor before he became a Transit instructor and he saw it firsthand. I personally think he was correct. With all of the daily problems on the subways and railroads these days for someone to worry about station signage is beyond comprehension to me. My opinion. Yours may vary. Carry on .

On 1/27/2024 at 4:05 PM, Chris89292 said:

Right now at the Grand central 42nd St Station, the contractors have installed new steel structures above the station, seems like they are using advantage of the GO on the (7) to complete work at the station

Good.  Those who complain that there is no shuttle service from 34th to Hunters Point can stick that in their pipe and smoke it, LOL!  Obviously piggy backing GO's is a beautiful thing!

As of today at 111 street, the crews have installed new lighting at the end of the west end of the platform, and the barricades have been taken down completely, this week there will be a GO where the (7) will run express from Main St to 74th Street this weekend for station improvements, hopefully lots is done by the end of February, both 82nd and 111 Street could reopen by February or March

• 2 weeks later...

As of now, the 82nd Street station canopy has been completely installed, and at 111 Street all the blue barricades have been taken down and ready for platform reconstruction on certain areas. Both stations have been covered in white sheets. Hopefully both stations are opened by Early March, work at 61st Street has been delayed as well (casual MTA shenanigans during these type of projects) 

35 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can't they just shut the whole line down for a week when ridership is at it's lowest to accelerate these changes?

There is no such thing as a "low ridership week" on the (7). A lot of construction workers throughout the city come from Corona, Flushing is as much of a destination as Manhattan at this point, also there aren't many alternatives for (7) train riders should the (7) get taken out for a whole week. QBL is already operating reduced service and The LIRR only effectively serves 2 stops in Queens. Parts of Corona between 82nd St and 111th St don't even have a bus paralleling the (7) so even when there's a disruption it's chaos as it's the only east-west route in the area. The nearest alternative bus route is the Q66 which is already swamped on a daily basis. The (7) train is too important for them to do a full closure. The current closures to 74th St are already insane and put immense pressure on QBL. I don't even think QBL can even handle a school closed weekday if the (7) is shut down.

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

It appears the MTA updated their Flushing Line Improvements page earlier this month but it doesn't seem to give any more details into the timeline of what to expect.  Looks like pretty crappy project management to me...par for the course with Transit.

https://new.mta.info/project/flushing-line

It seems like both the Jamaica and Flushing station improvements got bad management, there is also no update into when the 61st Street express track is reopening, no schedule at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Can't they just shut the whole line down for a week when ridership is at its lowest to accelerate these changes?

Maybe a midday shutdown could work, (7) runs express during midday, the contractors can get work done much faster this way, they get track access which is crucial for a project like this 

It’s seems like the MTA has stopped adding (7) service skipping 82nd and 111 street on their planned service changes for the week of March 18-22, my speculation is that the stations are expected to reopen my Monday March 18th, it is subject to change

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 2:03 PM, Chris89292 said:

It’s seems like the MTA has stopped adding (7) service skipping 82nd and 111 street on their planned service changes for the week of March 18-22, my speculation is that the stations are expected to reopen my Monday March 18th, it is subject to change

In Queens, Flushing-bound 7 skips 82 St-Jackson Hts, 90 St-Elmhurst Av, 103 St-Corona Plaza and 111 St

Mar 18 - 22, Mon to Fri, 10:15 AM to 3:00 PM

For service to these stations, take the 7 to Junction Blvd or Mets-Willets Point and transfer to a Manhattan-bound 7.

For service from these stations, take the 7 to Junction Blvd or 74 St-Broadway and transfer to a Flushing-bound 7.

It seems like that may be the case, trains will be skipping stops going eastbound, but only mid-days for now.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

It seems like that may be the case, trains will be skipping stops going eastbound, but only mid-days for now.

Yes, and it also means 69th street (Manhattan bound platform) will be closed very soon, equipment has been installed behind the windscreens

Update at 82nd Street Jackson Heights station: New windscreens are beginning to see shape, there is a whole stack of them on the platform, ready to be installed, all though the work is being hidden behind, but there is a few sneak peaks

111 Street: New platforms 100% complete, the rest of the work is just repainting

Woodside 61st Street: It seems like the contractors are ready to renovate the Manhattan bound platform once the platforms reopen at 82nd and 111 Street, Still no updates on when express service is returning 

By the way, the MTA has updated their “7 line improvements” page, March 6th: The only obvious change I see is at the “33,40th and 46th street station” tab, seems like they won’t have temporary platforms after all, no scheduled changes will occur on these stations

Here is a few planned service changes on the (7)

1.  Flushing bound (7) will skip Queensboro plaza starting on March 11th till March 15th for platform replacements, it also includes installation of new LED advertisements, Replacing stairs, and elevator installation 

2.  Flushing bound (7) Skips 82nd, 90th, 103rd, 111th Street stations because of station improvements 

3.  Manhattan bound (7) skips 111th, 103rd, 90th, 82nd Street stations because of station improvements, this is the last time this GO will be used unless track repairs happen, by that time 82nd and 111th Street platforms would reopen, March 18th speculated 

So the station renewal projects have been pushed again for 2 weeks….. also (7) will skip 5th avenue in both directions from March 22-24, I guess cheaper contractors equals longer delays, MTA should stop doing contracts in bids, it’s not worth it

23 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

5th avenue is closing for station improvements by the way, don’t know what the MTA will be working on there, probably repairs on sections of the station

North End of 5th Avenue. The ceiling and Drainage System around there could use a fix. Every time it rains, the ceiling on the North end of 5th Avenue is dripping water.

Alright so here is a few changes I saw today while riding the (7) between Mets willets and 74th street, 111 street is lacking on certain stuff, nothing new installed, just painting, while at 82nd street, new windscreens are being installed, they are the traditional ones seen on other renovated stations, something I found interesting is that the MTA hasn’t reused the fences on the outer part of the station like the (6) or (F) stations

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Alright so here is a few changes I saw today while riding the (7) between Mets willets and 74th street, 111 street is lacking on certain stuff, nothing new installed, just painting, while at 82nd street, new windscreens are being installed, they are the traditional ones seen on other renovated stations, something I found interesting is that the MTA hasn’t reused the fences on the outer part of the station like the (6) or (F) stations

That's too bad. I always felt that those type of fences/railings added some characteristics to the the elevated stations.  Either way, it's good to see the Flushing line elevated stations are FINALLY getting fixed as time goes on.

Edited by jon2305

At Queensboro Plaza, the crews are replacing each stair, replacing the old 1990 renovated stair design, the platforms at the upper level were deteriorated before, now they’ve been replaced with brand new concrete platforms, one thing I dislike here is that they haven’t painted the structural support beams