Amtrak borrowing equipment to provide capacity.

metsfan

On jan 20 2009, a new president will be sworn in. Wherever your political stance may be, there is a rare bonus for railfans. Amtrak officials i've spoken to have confirmed that they will be drawing on several transit agencies to provide enough equipment to furnish several extra trains on jan 20. This means that you may see MBTA, NJ transit, SEPTA, and other rail equipment on the northeast corridor and other agencies along other routes. For me, the thrill of seeing mundane commuter equipment called hundreds or thousands of miles away from their home territory is an extra bonus as i will be traveling to Washington D.C. for the events that day.

Even if you don't support the incoming administration, you have to admit there probably would not be nearly the same amount of interest if mccain won. Mccain himself is not keen on trains or mass transit, and his supporters would likely have use air or road vs rail to arrive.

All the political stuff aside, i want everyone out that day along the northeast corridor to catch these very rare extra trains in action. This is truly going to be a date to remember. Anyone who can get shots of sunnyside yard, should do so on jan 20th.

Please check in to amtrak's site for additional information. Extra trains do not have a route demarkation (vermonter, carolinian, keystone etc) and will start with 4 numbers vs 2 or 3 for regular non-acela service. Trains that do have a demarkation will be longer than usual, so nothing will be ordinary this day.

You will have a chance to see alp-46 used to their full potential as they will be allowed to travel full speed from new york to D.C.. You will see double headed trains, hhp8's will be pulling a full load (their design capacity), and you may even see some vintage equipment such as heritage fleet for amtrak personnel, and work & unused pax diesels moving into standby position on sidings just in case.

This will be an epic day for railfanning, so don't miss it!

- A

I would like to see the NJ Transit Bilevel's on Amtrak.

My train will likely be multilevel or comet 5.

This is fascinating. Something so huge is requiring a unity of rail companies, in a sense. I think it's a good indicator of things to come.

It is good. Very good. The more inter-operation the better!

- A

Well this is THE day for pictures to be taken on the NEC.

That's why its news. :rolleyes::D

Seriously though, this will be EPIC. I can't believe i'm lucky enough to have the ability to be on one of the trains! I'll be all tired as hell, but be all giddy & excited about riding something that isnt an amcan or heritage SOUTH FROM PHILADELPHIA!!!!

- A

That is a sign the Amtrak is getting more ridership due to economy crisis, people may not want to ride jets... Amtrak ^ | Airlines v ...

No... this is only for a one day event... we can't make generalisations. It could be the case that Amtrak ridership is up, however we need actual figures over a specified amount of time in order to point out the fact that there is a positive correlation between the economic crisis and rail ridership. In addition, this is only for the Northeast Corridor, except for Boston, there are few individuals who would pick the plane rather than the train. Most of the individuals living around the Northeast Corridor would usually prefer to ride the train.

Now... I wonder will the trains retain their original livery (say for Septa, NJT, MBTA... LIRR...)? Or will they have some special treatment for the event?

No... this is only for a one day event... we can't make generalisations. It could be the case that Amtrak ridership is up, however we need actual figures over a specified amount of time in order to point out the fact that there is a positive correlation between the economic crisis and rail ridership. In addition, this is only for the Northeast Corridor, except for Boston, there are few individuals who would pick the plane rather than the train. Most of the individuals living around the Northeast Corridor would usually prefer to ride the train.

Now... I wonder will the trains retain their original livery (say for Septa, NJT, MBTA... LIRR...)? Or will they have some special treatment for the event?

Actually in the past people have taken bus, drive, or plane. Amtrak is up year over year for the last 8 years in a row. The ARC project is desperately needed to add capacity to the NEC. They didnt just add extra trains, they are skirting the carrying capacity for the entire NEC to meet demand. Adding cars from MBTA, NJT, and SEPTA to regularly scheduled trains, and the one train i'm riding on coming back is 100% borrowed equipment. By the 20th everything aside maybe acela 1st class and trains which arrive too late or leave too early will be sold out. -_-

Everything will retain original livery.

- A

I have no clue but would be surprised to see a LIRR Dual-Deck with their Diesels on a Amtrak trip...

Oh yes, in my knowledge. I have seen an Acela just depart, and a NJT train coming in and after that another NJT train departed... I was like, will the trains see each other at Newark? I can tell it is a Yes!

They will have to.... You can't get to new york with an electric train without going through newark.... :rolleyes:

I would suggest people catch this train at newark, trenton, new brunswick, secacus junction, and between philly & trenton especially if possible!

- A

Actually in the past people have taken bus, drive, or plane. Amtrak is up year over year for the last 8 years in a row. The ARC project is desperately needed to add capacity to the NEC. They didnt just add extra trains, they are skirting the carrying capacity for the entire NEC to meet demand. Adding cars from MBTA, NJT, and SEPTA to regularly scheduled trains, and the one train i'm riding on coming back is 100% borrowed equipment. By the 20th everything aside maybe acela 1st class and trains which arrive too late or leave too early will be sold out. :rolleyes:

Everything will retain original livery.

- A

Amazing... yeah most likely they will retain original livery. That would be weird though... seeing a SEPTA logo in Boston or the NJT logo in say Connecticut or the MBTA logo in New York. Interesting!

The ARC project is really needed... I hope Obama includes this in his list of priorities.

Trains coming back are sold out on the 21st, useful trains going both ways are sold out on the 20th. Only the 20th will see extras. Don't be shocked to see an ACES multilevel tacked on the back of an amfleet consist. They started arriving at MMC.

- A

Oh, good point... And you mean Acela right?

Nope. Acela isnt borrowed equipment. Acela stand-in service is provided by HHP8 locomotives and 7-8 amfleet cars because that combination balances speed & passenger capacity.

The train i'm talking about is borrowed equipment from nj transit that amtrak employees will be operating as an extra.

- A

If Acela is borrowing equipment it won't be Acela, eh?

In terms of the speed levels offered.

The HHP8 can go 130 in the high speed zones. It actually has better braking than the acela power car. Acela power car has only 6000 hp even if it has 2 that's a lot of extra weight.

In any case it will be very cool along the :nec: that day, so get your cameras ready!

- A

The HHP8 can go 130 in the high speed zones. It actually has better braking than the acela power car. Acela power car has only 6000 hp even if it has 2 that's a lot of extra weight.

In any case it will be very cool along the :nec: that day, so get your cameras ready!

- A

Ah.. thanks for the info

I will be waiting for the pictures!

Archived