NYC Subway WMATA Style!

Maserati7200

I was lucky enough to visit Washington DC 4 times so far and 3 of those times taking the subway around town. Besides the cool stations, the trains are amazing! Their propulsion systems (The Rohr, CAF, and un-rehabbed Bredas) sound wonderful! They also have great acceleration!

Why can't NYC have trains like that? Our past NTT orders have only been from Bombardier, Kawasaki, and Alstom. What about CAF, Rohr and Breda? I'm sure everyone noticed how the 75 footers in the NYC subway system are very slow. Well, WMATA's cars are 75 feet long and accelerate better than our IRT cars!

Why does the (MTA) order cars that have amazing propulsion systems and great acceleration? Imagine if our cars were as fast as DC's?

I was lucky enough to visit Washington DC 4 times so far and 3 of those times taking the subway around town. Besides the cool stations, the trains are amazing! Their propulsion systems (The Rohr, CAF, and un-rehabbed Bredas) sound wonderful! They also have great acceleration!

Why can't NYC have trains like that? Our past NTT orders have only been from Bombardier, Kawasaki, and Alstom. What about CAF, Rohr and Breda? I'm sure everyone noticed how the 75 footers in the NYC subway system are very slow. Well, WMATA's cars are 75 feet long and accelerate better than our IRT cars!

Why does the (MTA) order cars that have amazing propulsion systems and great acceleration? Imagine if our cars were as fast as DC's?

Even if our cars are designed to be as fast as the ones in DC, they will be slow due to our crappy antiquated signalling system. The fixed block system won't allow for higher speeds. A moving block system could and that is what they are trying to do with the CBTC (if it ever works without bugs).

Let me guess... So you can be an actual T/O?

:P Yes. I would rather operate the train than just stare at screen. Plus with CBTC it would eliminate C/Rs from the trains as well which not only is against the Union contracts but would put passengers at risk.

i think kawashitti ( i mean kawasaki =D ) and MTA has some sort of secret deal..all of our NTT orders they had some part of building it, and i remember reading somewhere the next NTT order will be built by them too

Kawasaki has the rights of the designs.

i think kawashitti ( i mean kawasaki =D ) and MTA has some sort of secret deal..all of our NTT orders they had some part of building it, and i remember reading somewhere the next NTT order will be built by them too

The R179s? Possibly, but I can't buy every cent of it.

Where you got this from? Subchat?

Also, remember Maserati, the way the MTA gets things built is by putting out a bidding contract. The company that can offer the lowest price and meet the MTA's needs wins the contract. So who knows if the companies that build the rolling stock for WMATA put a bid that was higher compared to bids put in by Kawasaki, Alstom and Bombardier.

Also, remember Maserati, the way the MTA gets things built is by putting out a bidding contract. The company that can offer the lowest price and meet the MTA's needs wins the contract. So who knows if the companies that build the rolling stock for WMATA put a bid that was higher compared to bids put in by Kawasaki, Alstom and Bombardier.

That's what happened to the R32 order. Budd was the lowest bidder.

Washington Metro>NYC Subway

The IND system is a very basic one, but as originaly built was over built. On the (A) in Brooklyn there are about 2 or 3 places to lay-up trains. Also the IND built interlockings everywhere to facilitate sevice changes. You dont see things like that on the WMATA. A

I know people maybe stongly oppose me on this. I been to Washington, San Fransico/Oakland(Bart) Chicago, Toronto and London subways. I dont see why the hate of 'no conductors' in NYC.

The cost of running a mass transit is very high. Yes MTA exces can and should take a fare cut and they are too many managers. However do we really need station agents at all 400-plus subway stations in NYC? Or Conductors. That money saved for old chool Union jobs can go towards a CBTC system and hiring staff at High Tech centers that can montior all 400 stations in NYC and send NYPD Transit cops to crime scene asap.

Washington is a great system that NY could learn from.

Station agents are important because there needs to be someone around to go to who can get on a radio when an emergency happens in a station. As for a "monitoring center" it takes time to dispatch police officers, often the crime will have been completed and the person leave the system, not to mention the inefficiencies of "highly educated" people sitting in front of computers (because average Joe can't do this...) making higher salaries because they are considered white collar, and sitting in an expensive new surveillence center.

Conductor's are needed because when a woman with a baby in a stroller who isn't following the rules has the stroller between the doors, a conductor will not close down and crush the stroller. A computer might. Conductors also provide a second layer of safety if a T/O is operating poorly, he'll take the train out of service.

When you cut out those positions you reduce the safety of the system...computers are better than humans at a lot of things but NOT at judgment calls and safety.

Station agents are important because there needs to be someone around to go to who can get on a radio when an emergency happens in a station. As for a "monitoring center" it takes time to dispatch police officers, often the crime will have been completed and the person leave the system, not to mention the inefficiencies of "highly educated" people sitting in front of computers (because average Joe can't do this...) making higher salaries because they are considered white collar, and sitting in an expensive new surveillence center.

Conductor's are needed because when a woman with a baby in a stroller who isn't following the rules has the stroller between the doors, a conductor will not close down and crush the stroller. A computer might. Conductors also provide a second layer of safety if a T/O is operating poorly, he'll take the train out of service.

When you cut out those positions you reduce the safety of the system...computers are better than humans at a lot of things but NOT at judgment calls and safety.

IAWTP 100% :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

While station agents are rarely in action, they can provide the necessary help a tourist needs. Sure, you can say ASK ANYONE or READ THE BLOODY MAP. But still, will it provide the needs for the tourists?

The C/R could give valuable information to confused passengers about reroutes or general route information. You think the T/O or the computer could do this? Plus the Union is not happy with OPTO.

Archived