(MTA) Proposes Elimination of Q74 service

Guest Charles

Guest Charles

There was an article published in Queens Chronicle Central Edition this past Thursday that, part of the (MTA)'s "doomsday" plan, the entire Q74 bus line will be cut. The link was unavailable to me online; though I do have the hard copy. Queens Chronicle, free, is found at libraries and other community centers.

This is a very bad idea IMO. In the mornings and afternoons, the Q74 acts like a school bus, shuttling students from Queens College and the Townsend Harris High School on Melbourne Avenue to Main Street, Kew Gardens, and the Union Turnpike (E)(F) station. It also serves the Pomonok Houses, the Pomonok Senior Center, and the residential area of Kew Gardens Hills. I used to live near the Q74 on Vleigh Place, and it was quite crowded in the morning with people heading towards the Union Turnpike Station.

Though the Q74 may not have many passengers during the midday hours and no weekend service, it is still an indispensible route in terms of passenger efficiency and convenience, especially during rush hours. Furthermore, it is one of the only routes to find the Suburban Orion Vs on a daily basis. On the overall, I think it would be a bad idea to eliminate Q74 service.

Which brings me:

1) What do you guys think?

2) Are there any bus routes (NYCT or (MTA) Bus) that deserve to be eliminated/merged?

in response to ur 2nd Question...

id say please keep the Weekend B16 service. alot of people use that line to travel between Prospect Park and Bay Ridge. everytime i take that bus between Prospect Park and Bay Ridge, it gets pretty full.

i still think they should make it a 24/7 bus.

I've heard some rumors here about slashing the Q74 bus.

I don't really have an opinion b/c I've never driven it...all I know is that it serves the elderly & students.

In response to your second question, there are no buses I can think of that should be merged/eliminated, but there are a lot of buses that need more service!

Q31 service is horrible on Utopia Pkwy! 10 AM for the first bus on Sundays?!

I really like the Q28.

There was an article published in Queens Chronicle Central Edition this past Thursday that, part of the (MTA)'s "doomsday" plan, the entire Q74 bus line will be cut. The link was unavailable to me online; though I do have the hard copy. Queens Chronicle, free, is found at libraries and other community centers.

This is a very bad idea IMO. In the mornings and afternoons, the Q74 acts like a school bus, shuttling students from Queens College and the Townsend Harris High School on Melbourne Avenue to Main Street, Kew Gardens, and the Union Turnpike (E)(F) station. It also serves the Pomonok Houses, the Pomonok Senior Center, and the residential area of Kew Gardens Hills. I used to live near the Q74 on Vleigh Place, and it was quite crowded in the morning with people heading towards the Union Turnpike Station.

Though the Q74 may not have many passengers during the midday hours and no weekend service, it is still an indispensible route in terms of passenger efficiency and convenience, especially during rush hours. Furthermore, it is one of the only routes to find the Suburban Orion Vs on a daily basis. On the overall, I think it would be a bad idea to eliminate Q74 service.

Which brings me:

1) What do you guys think?

2) Are there any bus routes (NYCT or (MTA) Bus) that deserve to be eliminated/merged?

Similar to my proposal on making the (W)line a rush hour only line, the same should be done for the Q74. Just run it weekday mornings 6am-1030am and from 3pm-7pm. It help cuts costs for the MTA but prevents overcrowding on other lines like the Q46 and Q64.

Archived