(A) Line Super Express Question

trainspot12

I feel the (A) should run as usual to Far Rockaway and Lefferts Blvd. while the (C) should be extended to Rockaway Park to remove the shuttle. Since the (MTA) has two other shuttles already, also minimizing confusion...

You're insane. Like what others said, how are 3 shuttles confusing??

And how about this, look at the distance from Euclid to Rockaway Park, you really want train crews to do that long distance? And how about the number of trains you will have to assign?

Guest Charles

And sadly, this is yet another thread that has accomplished virtually nothing. Nothing.

1. There is no need for (A) Super Express...you only have so many stops between Far Rockaway and Euclid Avenue! Plus it already goes pretty fast in the Rockaways.

2. (C) service is fine the way it is, no need for changes.

3. It's not too big of a task to remember 3 Shuttles! They all travel a short distance between two points, "shuttling" people back and forth, hence the name "shuttle!" It would be pointless to give lettered/numbered names for the three shuttles.

3. It's not too big of a task to remember 3 Shuttles! They all travel a short distance between two points, "shuttling" people back and forth, hence the name "shuttle!" It would be pointless to give lettered/numbered names for the three shuttles.

I mean... gee... it's not that hard.

If you want to specify, just call them by name, like Rockaway Park Shuttle, Franklin Avenue Shuttle or 42nd Street Shuttle... or like what the RTO does, call the Rockaway one the H and the Times Square one the 8.

Adding length to the (C) would create forced overtime for T/Os and C/Rs since it would take longer for the crew to finish it's trips. Cheaper the away it is.

Exactly. My god would that be a long run. A 3 tripper on that would be downright hell if not impossible (and would contain some serious OT). That would be more than 2 hours (closer to 2 1/2) each direction, all local stops...

no way.

Hey calm it down thar. If you feel yourself getting upset by reading a post, simply log out & go get some fresh air and enjoy life for a bit & don't come back till you're at peace. B)

Till (MTA) sorts out its budget issues, has a full NTT fleet, and other changes are made that fundamentally improve services across the entire system, making new trains with new functions is just going to hit the same old stumbling blocks.

(MTA) has a hugely unique system and maing changes such as this (A) super express would complicate an all ready under pressure system even further.

Maybe one day, but not now. B)

- A

I just don't like people bring back something I don't want to talk about or already disagreed on... And Super Express wouldn't work in the Rockaways and vicinity.. Only, IIRC, Queens Blvd. Line is designed for one...

Via the LIRR ROW?

Anywho, the topic is about the Rockaway Line, not the QBL.

And based on my trips, I do not see the point in having a super express service. I mean, sure, the trip is long, but come on, that's the fastest it can get now.

STOP BRINGING BACK TO CONFUSING THING!!!

I feel the crews could handle it, even if they do a highger speed if the rails can be upgraded to 50-60 MPH...

They can't. End of story. The rails have nothing to do with how fast a train can run. It's the signals and the trains.

They can't. End of story. The rails have nothing to do with how fast a train can run. It's the signals and the trains.

Actually, the rails have A LOT to do with how fast a train can run over them. Tracks that have been welded together to make one seamless pair of tracks will allow trains to run at faster speeds. When trains run on tracks that are only bolted together with nuts and bolts can't have trains running over them at high speeds.

If the rails are in poor shape, are jointed vs continuously welded, it makes a difference, as does the shape of the rail head, if it's flat you'll have heat issues on the wheels... Track condition is a prime reason for derailments and yes it does affect the speed, and not just on the subway either.

- A

Actually, the rails have A LOT to do with how fast a train can run over them. Tracks that have been welded together to make one seamless pair of tracks will allow trains to run at faster speeds. When trains run on tracks that are only bolted together with nuts and bolts can't have trains running over them at high speeds.

Exactly. ALL of the things mentined in the past few posts afffect safe operating speed. From joints to track condition, to curvature, to superelevation (if any) along curves, to the signal spacing and the constraints they need to adhere to, ALL of this affects safe speed.

A train at 60mph takes more than twice as long to stop (in terms of distance) than a train at 30mph, it's just a fact of physics. All signals must be able to stop trains prior to entering occupied blocks (at least without CBTC). If that isn't the case you have to lengthen signal blocks, which increases headways and decreases track capacity. So like everything, increasing speed is a trade off, it's not an automatic "just engineer it better" type thing.

as does the shape of the rail head, if it's flat you'll have heat issues on the wheels...

Is this why NYCT's rails tend to have a larger shiny/smooth spot on them than LIRR's rails, which tend to have a centralized "line" of shiny/smooth down the center of the rail head?

Is this why NYCT's rails tend to have a larger shiny/smooth spot on them than LIRR's rails, which tend to have a centralized "line" of shiny/smooth down the center of the rail head?

Let me see if i can find what i'm talking about & post it in a moment.

- A

Well, rails are some part of it... Also, trains engine would burn out...

I know... But, I was referring that the QBL is the only part of (MTA) that is designed for a Super Express... Rockaways would need a like design so the Super Express can run through... The (S) would also need to be removed to reduce congestion and minimalize accident...

How can the (S)huttle cause an accident? And it doesn't cause any congestion....so what are you talking about?

Well, rails are some part of it... Also, trains engine would burn out...

Um, how would rails affect the performance of the train motors? And this part of the discussion is getting way off topic.

I know... But, I was referring that the QBL is the only part of (MTA) that is designed for a Super Express... Rockaways would need a like design so the Super Express can run through... The (S) would also need to be removed to reduce congestion and minimalize accident...

The QBL is NOT designed for a super express. What you're talking about is people talking about super express tracks under the current line, but there is no provision for that currently.

And I'm going to ask the same thing CurAke asked... how would a shuttle cause an accident? The shuttle runs on tracks that the (A) only runs part-time. They're not at capacity at all.

Well, there is only two tracks along the Rockaways so the (S) may cause congestion and may cause an accident if the tracks aren't switched back immediatly...

Ok the (A) goes to the left from the Hammel Wyes and (S)huttle goes to the right....with all these switches and timers you still think its goes to cause an accident and/or congestion. how about no....once a train leaves the station all the timers are red then its goes from red to yellow to green or red to yellow depending on the station. Since the Broad Channel is the last stop on the (S)huttle...it gets a clearance to leave and the switch will return to the orginial place it in 1st place and 2nd there double timers are red to red until the (A) train comes then the timer changes....so therefore that can't cause an accident nor congestion. Clearly you don't pay attention to the stations, timers or switches I see!

Well, the Super Express is fast, you would need an extra signal to make the Super Express stop, and better tracks to reduces speed more smoothly...

Dude you wake the hell up and drink a dose of reality check.....the Rockaways is not getting a super express....the (C) will not go past Euclid Avenue....so in terms its not going to ever ever ever ever happen @ all!

Archived