Easiest way to tell if someone is a tourist in NYC?

duelingdragons

The people that wait religiously for the walk/don't walk signs to change before crossing the streets. Mainly talking about Manhattan here.

God bless 'em.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll look twice before I walk across, but sheesh... imagine waiting diligently at every corner? It would take forever.

The ones who look at the INFO centers in the city and the one who says: "Can you take me a shot with the building in the back" lol or: How do you get to Musuem of Natrual History?

Ya take the (;)(C) to 81st Street or (1) to 79th , if u in east side but uptown, (6) to 77th and walk to the m79 lol

Easiest way to pick out a tourist they always have a NYCTA Subway Map! or on weekends its even easier because they wait for the train that doesn't operate on weekends. I just laugh but make an announcement that the train won't come until Monday @ 6am. So take the next train... So much fun to make people look silly because they never read the signs and I'm talking about the ones that can read English..... hahahahaha!

The people who look hopelessly lost when they get out of a cab

The people who bury their faces in street maps of the city

The people who do not understand the subway map

The people who do not know how to buy a MetroCard and would require a station attendant's help

The people trying to ask passerby where the nearest hotel is

The people who walk hopelessly slow

A quote from one of my favourite books (The WPA Guide to New York City):

"Let us conclude with a look at the most elemental of New York's attractions- the life of its streets. Visitors of every era have remarked on this but never has the street life been more vigorous. The pace is set by New York's pedestrians and it is fast, now averaging about three hundred feet per minute. They are skilful, too, using hand and eye signals, feints and sidesteps to clear the traffic ahead. They are natural jaywalkers, streaking across on the diagonal while tourists wait docilely on the corner for the light. It is the tourists, moreover, who are vexing, with their ambiguous moves and their maddening slow gait. They put New Yorkers off their game."

Easiest way to pick out a tourist they always have a NYCTA Subway Map! or on weekends its even easier because they wait for the train that doesn't operate on weekends. I just laugh but make an announcement that the train won't come until Monday @ 6am. So take the next train... So much fun to make people look silly because they never read the signs and I'm talking about the ones that can read English..... hahahahaha!

That's exact what happened before I enjoyed here.

Everytime when I get on (C) on weekends, properly tourist asked, "Is this the (:) train?" and passenger replied no. They did not answer (B) does not ran on weekends.

Same

On 6th Av tracks between 2nd Av & 47th-50th Sts, I always heard question,

"Is this (V) train?"

When G.O sends (E) to 2nd Av, tourists always seem to go to subway map, and trying to figure how to travel through G.O.

Same thing with (D) G.O. in past weekends.

The ones who walk around pointing upward with their mouths hanging open ready to catch flies. I once had a bunch of tourists looking up at the sky in wonder because there was sky writing up for a beer company. They(like 10 of them) all just stopped in the middle of the side walk, blocking my way and I had to get back to work from break. I shoved past them and told them to get the hell out of the way.

The ones who walk around pointing upward with their mouths hanging open ready to catch flies. I once had a bunch of tourists looking up at the sky in wonder because there was sky writing up for a beer company. They(like 10 of them) all just stopped in the middle of the side walk, blocking my way and I had to get back to work from break. I shoved past them and told them to get the hell out of the way.

Now those imbeciles are annoying... especially when hundreds of others are trying to move down a kerb blocked by these human impediments.

Now those imbeciles are annoying... especially when hundreds of others are trying to move down a kerb blocked by these human impediments.

I agree also.

It not only on sidewalk, even at Metropolitan Museum of Art, they stop in middle of hallway trying to figure out floor plan while employees are trying to get past them.

The ones that are afraid of everyone in the subway because they think it's still the 80s

The ones that won't touch anything in the subway because it's "too dirty" (will it kill you to carry purell?)

The ones that don't hold on to any poles, then fall down the second the train starts

The ones that wait for trains that don't run on weekends, on weekends

The ones that still wait for trains that don't run on weekends even after you tell them they don't run on weekends

The ones that STILL wait even after you've given them the finger

The ones that stop in the middle of the street to take a picture

The ones that try to take a picture of you for a "souvenir", with flash on

The ones that think Manhattan traffic is dangerous

The ones that walk slower than the old women in Flushing

The ones that are afraid of everyone in the subway because they think it's still the 80s

The ones that won't touch anything in the subway because it's "too dirty" (will it kill you to carry purell?)

The ones that don't hold on to any poles, then fall down the second the train starts

The ones that still wait for trains that don't run on weekends even after you tell them they don't run on weekends

I love when they fall down when the train stops or slows down, is that wrong?B) Also, i love how no one listens to you when you're trying to help & often treat you like some freak weirdo just for talking to them. The other day i was trying to tell a couple that (E) chambers is closed, and other lines may not be running to nearby alternates and to get to times sq just take HBLR to newport & hop PATH from there, the guy kept saying that "i was there yesterday and it was running". I was saying in my head "what do you not understand about weekend service changes, do you need a news reel to understand?!?:mad:" Heh.

- A

I love when they fall down when the train stops or slows down, is that wrong?B) Also, i love how no one listens to you when you're trying to help & often treat you like some freak weirdo just for talking to them. The other day i was trying to tell a couple that (E) chambers is closed, and other lines may not be running to nearby alternates and to get to times sq just take HBLR to newport & hop PATH from there, the guy kept saying that "i was there yesterday and it was running". I was saying in my head "what do you not understand about weekend service changes, do you need a news reel to understand?!?:mad:" Heh.

- A

They can wait until 5AM Monday or later, when the first E pulls in after the GO.

Tourists often wait for M1 South Ferry bus on weekends, but South Ferry does not run on Weekends.

One time properly when I was ridding on X1 in Lower Manhattan, female tourist waiting for M1 boarded the X1 bus by mistake but good thing that B/O was nice or other wise, she have to stay on bus through Staten Island.

Well, easiest way is obviously that they're always holding a map.

As for on the subway... they're the only ones that tries to listen to every single announcement they make, only to find it impossible to understand and mostly useless.

And then they obviously ask stupid questions...

If you see someone riding the bull at Bowling Green with an entire family standing around, you know what they are.

Hey! I rode the bull the first time I saw it. I just had to climb on that sexy copper beast. My hands smelled like pennies afterwards it freaked me out though.

I'm guilty of being with a tourist group, in Washington DC. My family, and another family who are friends of ours, traditionally go on vacations together every year. If some of you don't know, WMATA is very far below the ground, the escalators are long. Me (I was 9, 11, and 12 [i went there 3 times]) my older brother (12, 14, and 15) and a the kid one year older than me in the other family would actually walk down the escalator. The rest -- didn't. It was a group of 8 people just standing there on the escalator not moving, while people on their way to work had to wait until the escalator reached the bottom because there was no way of getting around them. Me

my brother, and m friend form the other family would make a joke saying "After three time of being on D.C,, 200 people lost their jobs because of us (because they would be late for work)"

Archived