Queens Woman Struck, Killed By City Bus

eli

A young woman died after falling underneath an MTA bus in Queens.

Police say it happened around 10 p.m. last night at the intersection of Myrtle and Wyckoff Avenues in Ridgewood.

The 26-year old woman was crossing the street when she fell underneath the back tires of the bus, which appears to have been out of service at the time, according to authorities.

She was taken to Wyckoff Heights Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

One witness says he tried to help the woman after he saw her lying on the ground.

"The bus was turning, when it was turning, it hit her first on the left and she stumbled and she fell on the floor, and it ran over both her legs," he said.

No charges have been filed against the driver.

NY 1

That's wrong. The driver should be charged for not looking where he was going. I feel really sorry for that woman.:)

Absolutely not. A standard bus is 40ft long. There is about 30-35 ft of turning bus in front of those rear tires. When you have that much vehicle, you stay on the sidewalk, and wait as the bus is in its turn already. I could see if the bus hopped the curb. But this story says nothing about that. The driver is done with driving, I'll tell you that much. The MTA will determine how fast he was turning (those buses have CPU's in them, so they can download that info). After a fatality like this, they will try to fire the driver 1st, and if they can't find a reason too (after sending them through the ringer), they will be cleaning the depot for the remainder of their career. Why? Because if they let them back on he road and it happens again, then a lawsuit will stick, as a lawyer will say "it happened twice, so it's a bad driver, and MTA let them back out. If they didn't this probably wouldn't have happened again". Lawsuits determine alot.......

As someone who drove a bus for MTA, I'll tell you some of those who get ran over by the rear tires, need to be ticketed for not looking at where they are going, and what is going on in front of them. It does add insult to injury, but that big bus, isn't something I would play around with. You stay on the sidewalk when a bus is in to far of its turn for you to safely make it across.......

Anyways she slipped on ice into the path of the bus and no matter what speed you cant stop a bus if something flies under it while doing turn. It's tragic yes, but not the B/O's fault. I've had a guy walk into the side of my bus while stopped in a turn expecting him to do what he did, while I was in training for Academy. I anticipated the hazard while turning below 5 MPH off of 46 St onto 7 Av in Times Square. I saw him in the r/s traffic & convex mirrors told instructor as I stopped. The d@#k was so interested in his CELL PHONE like the (young lady that was killed, allegedly) That he walked full force into the side of my DL3 and acted like I hit him, even though the bus was at full and complete stop with the light against him. So IMO a number of pedestrains seal their own fate by being hapless(NYCT)

Okay, I'm officially confused. Was the fatality in Queens or was it in Brooklyn? In the Queens article it says that she was struck in Bushwick. Was it a 12 year old child or a 26 year old woman? Daily news error? :confused:

Apparantly they're one in the same based on accident and route description. The only problem is that one is based on witness accounts of the vic. and the actual data is the discrepancy. Seeing the pic. the victim could pass for a teenager IMO(NYCT)

That's wrong. The driver should be charged for not looking where he was going. I feel really sorry for that woman.:)

Doesn't meet the standard for criminal charges. That would reek of a double standard; such charges are normally made only when the motorist or operator should reasonably have known that an object was struck, and continues on anyway.

As for the driver, in cases like this, will the MTA prevent a resignation until the investigation is complete (to prevent the driver from taking a position with another operator)?

(Admin, please move this to New York City Bus; it was a B52 bus.)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I was comming off of the (L) train from work and got off at my usual stop at Myrtle-Wyckoff. When I got outside, which was around 11:05, I saw the bus there and Myrtle Avenue northbound was blocked off. I even remember the bus number (6523). The bus itself was on Myrtle Avenue. People were saying that the bus turned right from Wyckoff Avenue onto Myrtle Avenue, so I'm assuming that it was a Q58 that was o/o/s. They say that she was on her phone and she slipped on ice and into the path of the back rear wheel of the bus.

the driver was not making a full right turn it was a curve to the right and as a bus operator from that depot i no the operator will have to deal with this for the rest of his life and of course we all feel bad for the young lady as well as the bus operator and this is something for all us bus operators to learn from. so please be careful when walking around a car bus truck whatever please pay attention stop look listen

:tup:(MTA)

With accidents like this, the driver will most likely be demoted to a cleaner. When making any right turns or any turns near sidewalks, its the operators job to scan those mirrors making sure the wheel doesn't skip a curb or run over anyone.

True, but you have to think about the turn itself. The turn from Wyckoff av WB to Myrtle av NB is a very sharp turn, and its more than a regular 90 degerr turn.

Archived