School Has Been Canceled In The Big Apple!!

Sea Beach

There was no need to close down schools. Was there a major blizzard, no.

CUNY hasn't had a "snow day" since the Blizzard of '96. Forest Glen, I still remember the Bilzzard of '96 vividly. For me, it sucked because I had a two inch sewing needle inside my right foot for 6 days.

I'm glad schools will be open today.

Yes,there was a need,we had more then a foot of snow and it was very dangerous to travel outside. Was it a major blizzard,well we've seen worse but this was still bad.

I'm not glad schools will be open today.

Oh, it wasn't that much snow!

The city had bigger snows in the past (when I was growing up in the '80s and early '90s), and there still was school!!

The Superstorm of March 1993 dumped 18" of snow on a Sunday, and there was school the next day.

I'm happy to say I was in Brooklyn for the snow yesterday. Went to Nathan's, and played on the beach. The first time I've ever seen with my eyes snow on the beach. And the hot dogs were good too.

Great point. I was in school in NYC in same period 1980's/early '90's graduated HS in 1991 and there was bigger snowstorms. The 1996 Blizzard is among the biggest in modern NYC history(since 1900)and yet if i remember school was only closed for about '2' days.

Chancellor Klein stated that the dangerous winds(guts at 50 MPH at storms peak) along with the snow was main reason he decied to close the schools on Monday 3/2/09.

Great point. I was in school in NYC in same period 1980's/early '90's graduated HS in 1991 and there was bigger snowstorms. The 1996 Blizzard is among the biggest in modern NYC history(since 1900)and yet if i remember school was only closed for about '2' days.

Chancellor Klein stated that the dangerous winds(guts at 50 MPH at storms peak) along with the snow was main reason he decied to close the schools on Monday 3/2/09.

yet he was fine with his employees having to go out into those "dangerous" winds? nice.

Archived