Are "Shuttle Bus" Routes; B42, B74, S60, & Q74 needed?

Shortline Bus

IMO forget about mergeing for moment, the B74 weekend service IMO should be canned. Weekdays on the B74 especially pre and after school & also rush hours is often SRO. Also the B42 should be IMO extended to/from Seaview/East 108th St the B17 Southern Terminal. Extending the B42 to/from East 108th/Seaview also giving Remsen Village a 24/7 access to the (L) train.

lol... In your opinion forget about merging?

You just asked us if any of the lines should be merged.... I mean, let's be a little consistent here...

lol... In your opinion forget about merging?

You just asked us if any of the lines should be merged.... I mean, let's be a little consistent here...

good points.

Maybe the Bx29 could replace the QBX1 Coop City section while the QBX1 starts/ends at Bay Plaza.

Late nights only the Bx29 runs between Pelham Bay and all of Coop City.

Take notice at how NO Staten Island was chosen for elimination for the service cuts. It's because they're all needed!

Just because you looked at the SI map and saw another route nearby doesn't mean it isn't necessary. The S52 is very important, the S42 has high ridership even though it's a simple route and the S60 serves Wagner College, St. Johns University and the neighborhood of Grymes Hills all of which are not served by the S53 or S62 as mentioned by someone.

Take notice at how NO Staten Island was chosen for elimination for the service cuts. It's because they're all needed!

Just because you looked at the SI map and saw another route nearby doesn't mean it isn't necessary. The S52 is very important, the S42 has high ridership even though it's a simple route and the S60 serves Wagner College, St. Johns University and the neighborhood of Grymes Hills all of which are not served by the S53 or S62 as mentioned by someone.

Actually the S57 and S54 was choosen to be reduceded to losing weekend service. Also i blieve cuts on the S76 and ending overnight service on the S40 too.

Actually the S57 and S54 was choosen to be reduceded to losing weekend service. Also i blieve cuts on the S76 and ending overnight service on the S40 too.

I know the S76 will lose weekend service, but I never heard anything about the S40 losing overnight service.

The best thing to do with the B39 is to extended the Manhattan portion. Perhaps the B39 could be extened to 14th Street-Union Square to help out the L line.

Actually extending it to Union Sq is an excellent idea:tup:. It wont happen for a while if ever due to the budget crisis.

More realsitic if the B39 stays i can picture the B39 being merged with another near North Brooklyn line as a compromise to the community.. If that happens, IMO merge(B39) it with the Q59 or proposed B44 SBS.(The other 'willie b terminal' brooklyn bus routes such as the B46 B60 and Q54 is way too long and cause terrible bus bunching & congestion-delays.)

Assuming no changes to the B39 (it needed like the B51 due to lack of ADA wheelchair stations in lower manhattan)iMO the MTA should only lend ate night service.

How about another "Brooklyn-Lower Manahhatan' shuttle bus that could be merged is the B51?

How about mereging the B51 with the B37 and canning weekend X-27/28 service? It takes riders living in most of Bay Ridge and nearby Dyker Heights/bensonhurst via B64 transfer direct to Manhattan.

How about another "Brooklyn-Lower Manahhatan' shuttle bus that could be merged is the B51?

How about mereging the B51 with the B37 and canning weekend X-27/28 service? It takes riders living in most of Bay Ridge and nearby Dyker Heights/bensonhurst via B64 transfer direct to Manhattan.

I think that's a great idea! It won't happen, but it'd be nice if it did.

I think that's a great idea! It won't happen, but it'd be nice if it did.

Personally i think the X27/28 should stay but reduce the opearting hours on Saturdays from 7am-9pm and Sundays 8am-6pm with 1-hour headways both lines on weekends.

If the X27/28 is too expensive and not saved by the bailout, a possible merger of the B37 and B51 makes some sense. To prevent delays, i would send only every other B37/51 bus past Court St to Lower Manahattan. Meaning every 30 minutes most of the time weekends and every hour from 9-11pm.(last bus leaving City Hall)

A simple question during these tough ecomonic times. I am not saying to cut off these routes but wondering if these routes should be merged with another nearby line? The routes in question are current shuttle bus routes the B74(Coney Island) B42(Canarise) the Q74(Queens College/Kew Gardens) and S52 (St George's). Also the S60(Wagner College) and BX29(City Island-Pelham Bay)also.

Again which of these lines should be merged and which of these should remain 'shuttle buses?" I offer my takes later just wanted you guys takes?

The s52 is not a shuttle bus. It runs from the St George Ferry to the other side of the island, ending at Staten Island University Hospital- North. Yes you need that bus. Back when that line was the s104, it combined the old R5 and R104 lines. You may make a case for the S42 being a shuttle line. It is a small trip but I think maybe a bit longer to be considered a shuttle route. You make the call.

I think the S61 should cover the s60 instead of going to the ferry. Eliminate the s60 and have the s61 go to the Dist. 31 offices and end on Arlo Road. If you do this, then maybe the s66 would run on the weekends. Then you will have the S62 and S66 go to the ferry everyday. You will have a route from the Hill to the Mall.

I would like to see the (MTA) bring back the Great Kills Park shuttle bus back (S103S.) It would be nice to make that run not only to the beach, but create a new line to serve the South Shore communities.

The s52 is not a shuttle bus. It runs from the St George Ferry to the other side of the island, ending at Staten Island University Hospital- North. Yes you need that bus. Back when that line was the s104, it combined the old R5 and R104 lines. You may make a case for the S42 being a shuttle line. It is a small trip but I think maybe a bit longer to be considered a shuttle route. You make the call.

I think the S61 should cover the s60 instead of going to the ferry. Eliminate the s60 and have the s61 go to the Dist. 31 offices and end on Arlo Road. If you do this, then maybe the s66 would run on the weekends. Then you will have the S62 and S66 go to the ferry everyday. You will have a route from the Hill to the Mall.

I would like to see the (MTA) bring back the Great Kills Park shuttle bus back (S103S.) It would be nice to make that run not only to the beach, but create a new line to serve the South Shore communities.

Anthony my bad sorry.:) You right about the S52 as I meant to type the S42 as a 'shuttle.' Most of your suggestions i agree with about except for the S61. If the Great Kills shuttle bus returns does it run summer holiday season only or year round?

Maybe the S66 could merge with the S50 and end on Arlo Road. Plus Victory Blvd should have a 'through bus' end-end 24/7 from Travis-Ferry. Under your plan Victory Blvd goes back to complex plan along Victory Blvd.

The Q74 isn't anywhere near the Q16. I wonder how many students and faculty actually live in Kew Gardens? The majority of the people I see come from or go to the subway. If that's the case they can take the train to 71st and take the Q64 or the train to the Jamaica LIRR and take the Q25 or Q34. Unless of course they live along main st or vleigh place, then the Q20 or 44 are reasonable alternatives.

It's not just Queens College, you also got the CUNY Law School as well as 2 high schools in the area.

The ones that would be impacted the hardest is those that need to go south of Queens Blvd in need of the Q10 and Q37 buses. Those people would be require to make an extra transfer and a extra fare. It won't do the Q46 any good as that bus is already packed as it is as well as the Q20 and Q44 buses as well. The Q25/Q34 can sort of handle a extra load as the bus should empty out a little bit like 3 stops after Union heading north (RFK Community High School) or get on a Limited. The Q60 can be used as a 2nd bus in a 3 bus ride if you are heading for the Q20 or Q44 buses however it might not do any good in the event the Q60 gets jammed up.

Everybody else have other ways they can use w/o paying a extra fare.

It's not just Queens College, you also got the CUNY Law School as well as 2 high schools in the area.

The ones that would be impacted the hardest is those that need to go south of Queens Blvd in need of the Q10 and Q37 buses. Those people would be require to make an extra transfer and a extra fare. It won't do the Q46 any good as that bus is already packed as it is as well as the Q20 and Q44 buses as well. The Q25/Q34 can sort of handle a extra load as the bus should empty out a little bit like 3 stops after Union heading north (RFK Community High School) or get on a Limited. The Q60 can be used as a 2nd bus in a 3 bus ride if you are heading for the Q20 or Q44 buses however it might not do any good in the event the Q60 gets jammed up.

Everybody else have other ways they can use w/o paying a extra fare.

good point.

Archived