Are "Shuttle Bus" Routes; B42, B74, S60, & Q74 needed?

Shortline Bus

A simple question during these tough ecomonic times. I am not saying to cut off these routes but wondering if these routes should be merged with another nearby line? The routes in question are current shuttle bus routes the B74(Coney Island) B42(Canarise) the Q74(Queens College/Kew Gardens) and S52 (St George's). Also the S60(Wagner College) and BX29(City Island-Pelham Bay)also.

Again which of these lines should be mereged and which of these should remain 'shuttle buses?" I offer my takes later just wanted you guys takes?

I can only speak for the B42, but that line is beyond crowded during rush hours even with 4-6 minute headways and an all RTS fleet (I have yet to see an ENY hybrid on it). It needs to stay, it once was a rail line of some sort down to Canarsie Pier. I don't think it can handle passengers from something like the B17.

A simple question during these tough ecomonic times. I am not saying to cut off these routes but wondering if these routes should be merged with another nearby line? The routes in question are current shuttle bus routes the B74(Coney Island) B42(Canarise) the Q74(Queens College/Kew Gardens) and S52 (St George's). Also the S60(Wagner College) and BX29(City Island-Pelham Bay)also.

Again which of these lines should be mereged and which of these should remain 'shuttle buses?" I offer my takes later just wanted you guys takes?

These buses MUST Stay:

B42 Serves Canarsie 24/7

B74 Backs up the B36 during rush hours

Bx29 Serves City Island

S52 serves St. George and Staten Island Hospital

These buses have options to either get cut or remain in the system:

Q74 because its only a small route that have alternates

S60 is only a Loop Bus. They can use the nearby S53 or S62 routes.

Q74 because its only a small route that have alternates.

The alternates for the Q74 to the subway and the Q10/Q37 at Kew Gardens would mean an extra fare each way. Plus the Q46 is no alternate, it's over capacity as it is.

These buses MUST Stay:

B42 Serves Canarsie 24/7

B74 Backs up the B36 during rush hours

Bx29 Serves City Island

S52 serves St. George and Staten Island Hospital

These buses have options to either get cut or remain in the system:

Q74 because its only a small route that have alternates

S60 is only a Loop Bus. They can use the nearby S53 or S62 routes.

No guys i think you misunderstood the thread. I mean should routes like the B42 etc be merged with another nearby route? I never said to elimante the current shuttle buses lol.

Example

B42=merges with the B60.

B74=merges with either the B64 or B68.

Bx29=merges with the Bx5.

Q74=merges with the Q16 to run between Ft Totten and Kew Gardens.

That what i meant to ask? What you guys think now?

Don't merge the B42 with the B60, it'll become WAY too long of a route, and the B42's reliability and the reason people use it so much is because it is such a short route. It's guaranteed to show up, no doubt. If it now goes to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, then there is more room for tie-ups and bunching and the like. Plus, I don't know what would happen to the B60's eastern portion serving Williams Av.

Don't merge the B42 with the B60, it'll become WAY too long of a route, and the B42's reliability and the reason people use it so much is because it is such a short route. It's guaranteed to show up, no doubt. If it now goes to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, then there is more room for tie-ups and bunching and the like. Plus, I don't know what would happen to the B60's eastern portion serving Williams Av.

Good point. Does notthe B6 limited also serve the housing projects at Williams Ave area that curently the B60 serves?

Good point. Does notthe B6 limited also serve the housing projects at Williams Ave area that curently the B60 serves?

Oh, it does. Ok, then there's no total loss of bus service there. But I stand by my previous point.

The BX29 can't be combined with the 5 as the latter runs artics which won't be able to turn around @ the dead end on city island.

The only line the 29 could be combined with is the Bx14. You extend the Bx4 to Pelham Bay Park either via Westchester or the current 14 route and cut the 29 from Co-op City and send it to Country Club via PBP.

Only route that isn't exactly a shuttle but could and should be extended somewhere is the Q26.

The Q74 isn't anywhere near the Q16. I wonder how many students and faculty actually live in Kew Gardens? The majority of the people I see come from or go to the subway. If that's the case they can take the train to 71st and take the Q64 or the train to the Jamaica LIRR and take the Q25 or Q34. Unless of course they live along main st or vleigh place, then the Q20 or 44 are reasonable alternatives.

heh...

* like I said on RD, the B74 can be made into another branch of the B36... or as another member suggested from there, merge it w/ the B64 (which I don't necessarily agree with).....

--------

* B42 does get jampacked... but I don't think it should be it's own separate line.... I don't know what would be the best route to merge it with, but it's sure as hell not the B60... out of all the aforementioned routes, I think the B42 should remain over all the others....

* Bx29, I just about given up w/ thinking of what to do w/ that route... but I don't think it should remain as is.... What I will say is, None of the current co-op routes should be extended to city island... iono, maybe send every other Bx14's up there, after serving country club? (every other 14 would go from parkchester, to country club... not stopping in co-op)... I can't see artics running full time, to city island....

Eliminating the Q74 would be a nuisance but not quite a disaster.

'Nuff said.

* Not to be merged w/ anything, but I think the S60 should either serve more of the North shore (maybe terminate w/ the x16, to pt richmond), or sent somewhere south serving some SIR station....

^ {talk about alliteration... lol}

* You're probably talking about the S42... I'm not sure what else can actually be done with that route... Then again, I'm also not sure how much of an uproar would be raised if that route were to be cut....

Await any & all replies....

heh...

* like I said on RD, the B74 can be made into another branch of the B36... or as another member suggested from there, merge it w/ the B64 (which I don't necessarily agree with).....

--------

* B42 does get jampacked... but I don't think it should be it's own separate line.... I don't know what would be the best route to merge it with, but it's sure as hell not the B60... out of all the aforementioned routes, I think the B42 should remain over all the others....

* Bx29, I just about given up w/ thinking of what to do w/ that route... but I don't think it should remain as is.... What I will say is, None of the current co-op routes should be extended to city island... iono, maybe send every other Bx14's up there, after serving country club? (every other 14 would go from parkchester, to country club... not stopping in co-op)... I can't see artics running full time, to city island....

'Nuff said.

* Not to be merged w/ anything, but I think the S60 should either serve more of the North shore (maybe terminate w/ the x16, to pt richmond), or sent somewhere south serving some SIR station....

^ {talk about alliteration... lol}

* You're probably talking about the S42... I'm not sure what else can actually be done with that route... Then again, I'm also not sure how much of an uproar would be raised if that route were to be cut....

Await any & all replies....

IMO forget about mergeing for moment, the B74 weekend service IMO should be canned. Weekdays on the B74 especially pre and after school & also rush hours is often SRO. Also the B42 should be IMO extended to/from Seaview/East 108th St the B17 Southern Terminal. Extending the B42 to/from East 108th/Seaview also giving Remsen Village a 24/7 access to the (L) train.

i just wanna say.......what about the M35? thats a Loop as well!

Personally i can care less about it but that route sould have been mentioned in this forum as well...

Truthfully, i just wanna see what yall say about this route!!!! lol

Honestly I never rode the M35, but I don't see anything wrong about it!

What about the B39? I think it could easily be joined with one of the Williamsburg Plaza routes, maybe the B46 (or some B46's, like every 1 of 2 buses goes over the bridge).

at night The B39 is combined with the B44, B46, and Q54. different buses come into williamsbridge plaza and switch to the B39 and come back and switch to whatever route it is (B44, B46, Q54)

The B74 is needed, that route needs artics its THAT crowded. Even on saturday nights it SRO like its rush hour.

The M35 is basically a shuttle for the mens homeless shelter on Ward Island. If you cut that route they won't have any way of getting on the mainland. Not to mention that this route has a lot of wheelchair custmers so that route is needed.

The B74 is needed, that route needs artics its THAT crowded. Even on saturday nights it SRO like its rush hour.

The M35 is basically a shuttle for the mens homeless shelter on Ward Island. If you cut that route they won't have any way of getting on the mainland. Not to mention that this route has a lot of wheelchair custmers so that route is needed.

oh yeah... i knew that... that bus stop be packed on 125 and Lex in the evening!!! CRAZY!!!!!

Archived