R62/A and R142/A lengths

Bracamonte

Well, what happened about the R-62 at Coney Island Yard?

I get that concept but still, read my reply for CurAke79 above!

They're there only temporarily, for repairs and such probably. IRT stock can physically run on IND/BMT tracks, but cannot run in revenue service there because of safety reasons.

They're there only temporarily, for repairs and such probably. IRT stock can physically run on IND/BMT tracks, but cannot run in revenue service there because of safety reasons.

Ah I c....it just thought it can't run on BMT and IND tracks @ all. Thanks for the explaination 7LineFan:tup:

Hmmmm IRT subway cars cannot run on the IND and BMT lines.....I believe we've talked about this b4

They can and they have. Also, the MTA's non-revenue equipment is built to IRT specs so that it can be used system wide.

IRT yards are no way near any BMT and IND trackage!

The concourse yard is used for IRT and BMT/IND service.

The last IRT width cars which ran on a BMT-IND width line in service were the Q's which ran on the MJ until 1969.

the R33WFs and a number of R62A singles have been outfitted with tripcocks on the BMT-IND side as well as the standard IRT trips. (These lead on runs of A division cars through the B division.)

On at least two instances in the past, there have been IRT width cars widened for use in the B division. All C types were like this for use on the Fulton El, and a few Low Vs were given such modifications for use on the culver shuttle. I had heard of some rumblings in the late 1990s in which they were considering giving a few R33s such a treatment for use in the eastern division, but wiser thoughts prevailed and the R143 fleet was ordered.

Now, the most entertaining of these stories are the ones where B division cars have ended up on the A division. On at least two occasions R10s and R16s ended up on the Jerome El, banging up the cars and platforms a bit. Perhaps the best such incident was after an astoria el accident in the 1970s, an R30 was shipped to the nearest yard by truck. This yard happenned to be Corona, and they were never able to remove the car til they eventually had it scrapped. (Its mate is in the Transit Museum)

And another thing, can the R142/A run on every IRT lines despite its length? It makes wonder since I think that because of its length, it may not run on some IRT lines.

they kinda do already.

For Example:

(2) runs via 7 Ave Local Late Nights using R142's

(2) trains ran on the (1) line to South Ferry during a G.O. and they used R142's.

(4) trains run on the (3) line to New Lots Av late nights using R142/R142A's.

(7)<7> still uses R62A's but i bet that if they placed R142/R142's on the (7)<7> line, they'd fit.

Archived