Slants

BSmith

the (G)(R) never used R40s and there was a photo of an R40 marked for the (V), but it never actually ran in revenue service. how can R40s run on the (J) if they were never maintained at ENY. R40s were maintained at Rockaway Yard for the (L).

The R40 slant ran on the (G)/® line before but back in the oldest when it was RR and GG.

there are some images on nycsubway.org

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?36258

the r40s are da best.. idk what your talking about rest in peace r-40s:cry: (B)(Q)<Q>(A)(L)(W)

i rank them the best of all the St Louis cars (R38s-R44s), but they are certainly not that great compared to the R32s and post-R46 cars. i already explained my opinion for those cars in this thread already

Don't forget, they also ran on the (C), (F) and the (N)

the (F) has not used R40s in our generation.

You have to regard its importance. These cars first debuted on the F. This fact can't be missed.

You have that right, R40 slant cars made their debut on the (F). They also appeared on the (E) from time to time, I believe.

You have that right, R40 slant cars made their debut on the (F). They also appeared on the (E) from time to time, I believe.

They appeared on the (E) a lot after debuting on the (F). I think about 4 or 5 weeks after the (F), they were commonly found on both lines.

the R40s did run on the Canarsie Line until 2001. i remember in 2003, i saw a lone R40 car at the Avenue X yard with (L) destination signs waiting to be scrapped (i do not remember the number). the only lines R40s did not run on were the (G)(J)(R)(V)(Z).

R40s are ugly in appearance, but they are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to speed, air-conditoning, and view. i commonly refer to them as "speed-demons." i miss them on the (;) a lot. like i said before, the (B) should have kept its R40s while R68/68As should have gone to the (A). that way, everyone wins.

i do agree with one thing R40's belong on the (B) R68's on the (A)? nah chill....they should be on the (D)(N)(Q)and (W) they look so goofy on the (B) and i dunno about u guys but i love the R40's for one reason, the in-between car ride is awesome

Generally, I love almost everything about the R-40s. I ride them almost everyday, as I take the (A) frequently to and from school/home. The only thing I don't like is the rust, and the amount of it. Unlike the R-42, this rust is not a fine brown coating. It actually penetrates the carbody, and is a very dark coffee color. I saw a rust hole the size of my head on the roof of a slant this past Thursday.It poses a hazard and threat to passengers, such as myself. As for the traction motor sound, it can be thrilling, but at times it can also be overbearing. But that IS the best way to non-visually recognize an R-40. But otherwise, the slant is a truly lovable subway car. It is like a caricature of a subway car built by the Soviet Union, especially with its outlandish front end and motor sound. I remember the days when they use to rumble along on the (;)(C)(D)(N)(Q) and (W) lines. Those were the days...:cool:

Archived