Medical Guidelines for T/O

LexAveExp5

Medical Requirement: Medical guidelines have been established for the position of Train Operator.

You will be examined to determine whether you can perform the essential functions of the position of

Train Operator. Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with

a disability to enable him or her to take the examination, and/or to perform the essential functions of

the job.

so my story is i can never see the 20/20 line on that eye chart. usually i can see the 20/30 line and always the 20/40 line. since they dont tell us WTF THE GUIDELINES ARE, i wanted to know if im safe. lets say for some reason that 20/40 is the vision i end up with and it doesnt meet their special "guidelines", does this paragraph mean that "a reasonable accomodation" would be provided for me in the form of glasses?

does anyone know what "up to par" is? cuz i can see EVERYTHING. i have no problems with my eyesight whatsoever, but that damn 20/20 line is so small to me from the required distance. so if i knew what the guidelines are for this position i would feel a lot better. why dont they put the guidelines on the Notice of Examination?

does anyone know what "up to par" is? cuz i can see EVERYTHING. i have no problems with my eyesight whatsoever, but that damn 20/20 line is so small to me from the required distance. so if i knew what the guidelines are for this position i would feel a lot better. why dont they put the guidelines on the Notice of Examination?

They will just put "restrictive lenses" on your employee pass meaning you must wear glasses while working.

Your eyes get checked once a year by the authority's quack "doctors".

They will just put "restrictive lenses" on your employee pass meaning you must wear glasses while working.

Your eyes get checked once a year by the authority's quack "doctors".

Would it be possible to avoid that by wearing contacts all the time and never telling them you have them?

Would it be possible to avoid that by wearing contacts all the time and never telling them you have them?

You are allowed to wear contacts now. This was just changed about 2 years ago. I would let them know, it doesn't pay not to.

Your vision must be correctable to a minimum of 20/40.

My uncorrected vision is equivalent to 20/450 with up-down double vision. As I long as I wore my glasses, I never had a problem with a vision test.

There are tons of T/O's who are obese.

I read an article on one of the sites about an obese T/O who sued the MTA and won the right to work as a T/O. If I can remember where I read about it, I will post the link.

I never heard of that story it was an interesting read. There are many many T/O's who are morbidly obese especially the females. You work crazy hours with little to no time to eat a decent meal in most cases and there are fast food joints right upstairs at most terminals.

I never heard of that story it was an interesting read. There are many many T/O's who are morbidly obese especially the females. You work crazy hours with little to no time to eat a decent meal in most cases and there are fast food joints right upstairs at most terminals.
Really? I was thinking that it would have an opposite effect with most people not eating much or bringing something from home.

Still you spend more time off the job that on it. One has to be disciplined and find the time to exercise daily,it is a must especially for older workers. Even if it is just a 20-30 minute walk,a little something is better than nothing.

I looked up Mr.Richardson and he is a property protection agent making about $29.00hr. He was the only one with that name listed so I assume it was him. I don't think he retired since he is only in his early 40's.

Still you spend more time off the job that on it. One has to be disciplined and find the time to exercise daily,it is a must especially for older workers. Even if it is just a 20-30 minute walk,a little something is better than nothing.

I looked up Mr.Richardson and he is a property protection agent making about $29.00hr. He was the only one with that name listed so I assume it was him. I don't think he retired since he is only in his early 40's.

If you include travel time alot of T/O's spend more time working/ travelling than at home.

If its the T/O's I'm thinking about he is not a T/O any more he is currently a Property Protection Agent. Someone jumped in front of his train and didn't recover from it.

Ah,good memory Dave,wasn't sure if that was him or not. That has to be the worst thing for a T/O to go through on the job. So he is making a little bit less than a T/O now.

• 2 weeks later...

He was probably re-assigned for a medical reason since he kept his rate of pay..

If its the T/O's I'm thinking about he is not a T/O any more he is currently a Property Protection Agent. Someone jumped in front of his train and didn't recover from it.

That was James Plocica. He was in my large TO group, but not in my class. He saw the jumper at 47-50, near the edge, as he pulled in to the station, but then he moved back into the crowd. So, James released & continued pulling the train in.. The jumper ran & leapt just ahead of the train so there was no way to stop in time. James was really distraught over it & didn't feel comfortable going back to the road, He was told, because he had no seniority, he had to work the road. He was then advised to resign voluntarily by the TA, so he wouldn't be fired, and could take another TA tests in the future. He resigned. The problem was, the Ta never advised him, under civil service law, he had a year to decide if could not work in title. He lawyered up, & got a position back as a station agent. Then the next thing I hear was about the murder.. Real shame..

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=070320-HQ12

Archived