Medical Guidelines for T/O

LexAveExp5

My wife is new to America and she has recently been taking the trains to Manhattan. When I told her how I was going to be taking the test for TO in June she told me that I am going to get very obese as all of the TOs she has seen are usually obese. I laughed at her because I am 137 lbs and 5'7 and have a hard time keeping weight on as it is but who knows with all the sitting.

My wife is new to America and she has recently been taking the trains to Manhattan. When I told her how I was going to be taking the test for TO in June she told me that I am going to get very obese as all of the TOs she has seen are usually obese. I laughed at her because I am 137 lbs and 5'7 and have a hard time keeping weight on as it is but who knows with all the sitting.

137lbs? you must be under 21. Your weight will go up as you get older,no question about it. I wonder if these obese T/O's were like that before they got hired? I highly doubt it, same thing with B/O's.

You really need to exercise daily no matter what,even if it is 30 minutes only.

Are there any medical conditions that automatically exclude you from becoming a T/O.? Asthma or High Blood pressure or something like that.

A buddy of mine got laid off last year and is taking the test in June. I know he has been Asthmatic for years and his wife told me he has pressure problems. He has his heart set on this job and I'm afraid that he will get

depressed if he can't pass the physical.

Any condition requiring Coumadin therapy is a dis-qualifier for a newb operator. Officially, you cannot work in passenger service on it, and you will be reassigned after a year of not being able to go full work. Some senior TOs wind up on it, but usually they can pick non-road jobs so its not a problem. Never say you snore. They will require a sleep apnea test if you admit it, and most people have some form of it. As far as the mental question, there was a psyche test when I came on, after the open competitive test list was generated.. It asks the same questions in different ways, multiple times throughout the test.. Answer questions consistently.. whether true answers or not.. I recommend saying you sporaticly, almost never drink, because one guy of the class actually had to go though a program before schoolcar when he answered he like to dink on the weekends!! If you consume drink/drugs frequently/too much now, I'd get working on lowering your alcohol usage & stop the other stuff. :)

• 8 months later...

I should be the poster boy for the medical guidelines for the TA.Anyone reading this who is still on the list for T/O OC 2085,or will be on the next list please do the following.

I am now in the 2nd week of B division schoolcar and I LOVE it,but it took me a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to get here because of medical crap.

1.GO to YOUR doctor!! As soon as possible.IF your blood pressure is even marginally high,Have him put you on MEDICATION!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!!!

Another thing,VERY IMPORTANT!!! DONT EAT ANYTHING 12-18 HOURS BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GO TO 180 LIVINGSTON!!!!!!! Eating anything before hand is going to result in a higher reading of blood pressure.

2.Get an EKG by your OWN Cardiologist,I dont care how much it costs!!

3.PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRATICE,PRACTICE!!! walking toe to heel fowards and backwards.ANYTHING the doctor sees that makes them suspect you have a balance problem is going to result in a trip to a Neurologist,Ear,Nose and Throat doctor,and God knows what else!!!I have slight cerebal palsy,so I could not do the walk the right way the first time and had to go through hell with doctors and tests!!!

I seriously hope that NOBODY has to go through the hell I endured just to PASS the medical exam.LIsten to what I tell you,I believe everyone here will agree with me!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I should be the poster boy for the medical guidelines for the TA.Anyone reading this who is still on the list for T/O OC 2085,or will be on the next list please do the following.

I am now in the 2nd week of B division schoolcar and I LOVE it,but it took me a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to get here because of medical crap.

1.GO to YOUR doctor!! As soon as possible.IF your blood pressure is even marginally high,Have him put you on MEDICATION!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!!!

Another thing,VERY IMPORTANT!!! DONT EAT ANYTHING 12-18 HOURS BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GO TO 180 LIVINGSTON!!!!!!! Eating anything before hand is going to result in a higher reading of blood pressure.

2.Get an EKG by your OWN Cardiologist,I dont care how much it costs!!

3.PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRATICE,PRACTICE!!! walking toe to heel fowards and backwards.ANYTHING the doctor sees that makes them suspect you have a balance problem is going to result in a trip to a Neurologist,Ear,Nose and Throat doctor,and God knows what else!!!I have slight cerebal palsy,so I could not do the walk the right way the first time and had to go through hell with doctors and tests!!!

I seriously hope that NOBODY has to go through the hell I endured just to PASS the medical exam.LIsten to what I tell you,I believe everyone here will agree with me!!!!

Yeah, i'd pre-do all of this if i were anyone in this predicament. I was, and everything went wrong. I lost my health insurance while i was hospitalized (knocked out for 3 days) and i had to start all over which took wayyyyy too long. Then when i got it back, i had a coverage problem. When i had everything in order...the list EXPIRED! I would've done everything out of my own pocket but i was dead broke. Today, i was supposed to be a conductor. (G)O(D) (D)(A)(M)(M)(1)(T)

(NYCT)(A)

Yeah, i'd pre-do all of this if i were anyone in this predicament. I was, and everything went wrong. I lost my health insurance while i was hospitalized (knocked out for 3 days) and i had to start all over which took wayyyyy too long. Then when i got it back, i had a coverage problem. When i had everything in order...the list EXPIRED! I would've done everything out of my own pocket but i was dead broke. Today, i was supposed to be a conductor. (G)O(D) (D)(A)(M)(M)(1)(T)

(NYCT)(A)

Now that i've seen what HACKS the TA docs are, i'm going to have my own doctor give me a physical before they put the call out for T/O medical...that's right, everything TA does i'm gonna have my doctor do to me so when they try to put me through the gambit of bullshit again i'll be ready to refute everything they "think". (NYCT)(A)

(NYCT)(A)

Sheeeeeeeeez That really sucks that you had to go through that.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived