Good Afternoon from Aussie84

Aussie84

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are visiting from Australia and are currently staying in Jamaica, NY. we've been travelling all over the west coast and decided it was time to do the east coast! after having troubles getting around and not booking a hire car in advance. we jumped in early and got a hire car for the week that we're here.. now that we are here, we've been searching forums and found that hiring a car was a silly idea as free or cheap parking seems to be a myth in New York. The closest train station to get into the city seems to be the one at JFK airport above the budget hirecar depot.. looking at the routes, it seems we would have to get on the airtran line to the howard beach airport stop and transfer onto the A-line to get into the city so we can use these new york passes to check out all the tourist-y stuff! ive found a ticket that would allow us unlimited stops for a whole day for $7.50 with a metrocard.

would this be available from the first station mentioned? can we use that for the airtran line? before getting on the main lines?

Thanks in advance!

ps: any questions about Australia are most welcome! ;)

Hi and welcome to the forums, hope you guys are enjoying your visit of NYC. The 1-Day Fun Pass cannot be used to pay for your fare on the AirTrain since it's a additional fare on top of the regular $2.00 fare. If you're in Jamaica, NY it might be better to take the (E) from Sutphin Boulevard to Manhattan, it will save you more money and you'll be able to use the 1-Day Fun Pass. The (E) runs express in Queens so it wouldn't be adding more time to go into Manhattan compared to paying extra for the AirTrain and taking the (A) from Howard Beach into Manhattan.

Welcome to New York City Transit Forums and the Big Apple....pls enjoy your stay on here. I don't know where in Jamaica, Queens you and your girlfriend are staying at, but you are better of with the (E) train to/from Jamaica, Queens and/or the (F) train as well. You can purchase a 1-day Fun Pass or 1-week, if your planning traveling within the City for a day or week. As of the AirTrain its $5 plus to entire the Howard Beach-JFK (A) subway station is $2 with a Pay-per-Ride Metro-Card, so you better off taking the a bus to the (E) train. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

wow, you guys are quick to reply, this is a great start :)

thanks for all the info so far.

We're staying at the Best Western hotel on S Conduit Ave, i guess the closest cross street would be rockaway blvd. As i said before, we have a car so we Can drive somewhere close to a station or bus stop provided theres gonna be free parking.. and a ticket booth as we havent bought the passes yet.

Again, thankyou so much for your help!

lol i wasnt even aware of the new proposed lines in syd.. http://www.cityrail.info is about as much as i know.. rarely use the public transport in aus anymore since i got a car a few years back. free parking is still wildly available pretty much everywhere..

ps: i thought those car boots for fines were a myth.. ive seen a handful already just driving around jamaica.. the worst you get in AUS is a fine(as far as i know)

we live in newcastle which is a 1.5h drive (except during rush hour) or 2.5h train ride. (150odd km ...100ish miles?) the fair has gone up from $15 to $20 i believe now.. so about $12US or $15US with the current conversion :mad:

Greetings!

AirTrain, like PATH is a Port Authority of NY and NJ operation.

Not to toot my own horn but i actually just started my own tour biz and you'd be welcome to a half price tour. PM me if interested.

Back on topic. If you're staying for a week, get the weekly pass.

The (A) in brooklyn (and the parts of it that are in queens) can be very crowded because it's out there basically by itself similar to the (L) and (7) lines. Going back out to the airport make sure you get the right (A), or you'll end up wasting a bunch of time. It has 2 terminals, and typically if you're waiting manhattan for the "outbound" (A) you will get 2, one to far rockaway, the other to lefferts blvd in ozone park alternating one then the other.

If you have any other questions about the city and navigating it post it here or PM me. I get email alerts when i get a PM so if i'm around the computer i can respond right away. :)

Have fun and thanks for visiting the usa! :tup:

- A

lol i wasnt even aware of the new proposed lines in syd.. http://www.cityrail.info is about as much as i know.. rarely use the public transport in aus anymore since i got a car a few years back. free parking is still wildly available pretty much everywhere..

ps: i thought those car boots for fines were a myth.. ive seen a handful already just driving around jamaica.. the worst you get in AUS is a fine(as far as i know)

we live in newcastle which is a 1.5h drive (except during rush hour) or 2.5h train ride. (150odd km ...100ish miles?) the fair has gone up from $15 to $20 i believe now.. so about $12US or $15US with the current conversion :mad:

CityRail has some cool rolling stock. I believe the Newcastle line now has the H-sets (also called OSCARs). My favourite is the Hunter railcar. It runs in Newcastle, if I'm not mistaken.

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are visiting from Australia and are currently staying in Jamaica, NY. we've been travelling all over the west coast and decided it was time to do the east coast! after having troubles getting around and not booking a hire car in advance. we jumped in early and got a hire car for the week that we're here.. now that we are here, we've been searching forums and found that hiring a car was a silly idea as free or cheap parking seems to be a myth in New York. The closest train station to get into the city seems to be the one at JFK airport above the budget hirecar depot.. looking at the routes, it seems we would have to get on the airtran line to the howard beach airport stop and transfer onto the A-line to get into the city so we can use these new york passes to check out all the tourist-y stuff! ive found a ticket that would allow us unlimited stops for a whole day for $7.50 with a metrocard.

would this be available from the first station mentioned? can we use that for the airtran line? before getting on the main lines?

Thanks in advance!

ps: any questions about Australia are most welcome! ;)

G'ood Day and Howdy mate. Crockdile Hudson Here:cool:

Archived