Delays on the NEC [WIL and PHL] April 29

Paul P

I was planning a smooth commute with Amtrak from Wilmington to Philadelphia yesterday, but when I arrived at the station every single train was delayed because of the water main break in downtown Baltimore. So I just waited for my #86 Regional at 10:04, unfortunately I never took it because I had to switch to the #56 Vermonter at 9:35, which was 1 hour late, so I took it. When I got to 30th St station still most trains were delayed heavily or canceled. The situation got better after noon. I was also told by an engineer there is an online radio scanner for the Wilmington area, which also extends all the way to Harrington, DE that is served by Norfolk Southern, and some major interlockings used by CSX. It's quite interesting to listen to the dispatcher and engineers. You can also hear Amtrak and SEPTA trains between Philly, Wilmington and Newark, DE. Check it out! Anyway, that's my story, I won't be going up there for a while now, so enjoy the pics! :tup:

Sorry for the poor quality, but if you can see every train is delayed on the timetable in Wilmington station.

P1120075.jpg

Acela #2109 terminating in Baltimore

P1120073.jpg

My #56 Vermonter pulling in 1 hour late.

P1120081.jpg

Timetable in Philadelphia with delays and cancellations.

P1120087.jpg

P1120100.jpg

A genesis and 2 AEM7s

P1120101.jpg

P1120102.jpg

P1120105.jpg

A wired (NJT) NJT train viewed from the parking lot.

P1120108.jpg

:septa:Septa R2 train #9241 to Newark, DE waiting for clearance of signal and Acela #2170 to Boston on Track 2.

P1120110.jpg

Acela in the station viewed from the DART bus on my way back home.

P1120116.jpg

Great stuff!

Thanks! B)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Nice pics....

Thaaanks.

Great Stuff!!:tup::tup:

Thank you! B)

Epic.

Great stuff. The (NJT) train is a :ac: line related consist probably chilling for the day.

- A

Yea, I thought so too. Thanks Andy!

Nice stuff you got there. Meh, it must been a hesitating day for travelers.

Cool, now I can get the main idea of how 30th Street is in Philly, B)!

By the tracks leading into the station, I think you see it's pretty big. Thanks for the comment! :)

Wonderful pics and vid!

Thanks Curtis! :cool:

Looks like the 90 day pantograph test is over and the Acelas are using their rear pantographs that push against the wire. If Amtrak wants to save wear on carbon strip and prevent a pantograph failure from affecting the other pantograph, they should build their next generation of locomotive with the rear pantographs pushing against the wire like a RENFE S252 instead of sliding in the direction of travel like the AEM7s and HHP8s.

Yes, I actually noticed that too in some of the pictures. But as far as the test goes, what were they trying to find out?

I think these were the factors tested:

1. Amount of wear on the carbon strips

2. Tendency to snag wire (whether the only the pantograph gets destroyed, or would it pull down the wire and destroy the pantograph as well)

3. Should an incident happen (snagging), would it wreck or save the other pantograph

*I acknowledge the fact that pantographs can run in any direction regardless if it's pushing or sliding along the wire, but there advantages/disadvantages in these moves.

For the most part, I think they were testing for the tendency to snag the wire since there were many Acela incidents in which the pantographs snagged and pulled down the wire along with destroying the pantograph. The test seemed to have gone well since there were no Acela incidents, but the other concerns are that running the front can destroy the other pantograph in an incident regardless of direction and that a pantograph sliding in the direction of travel have the tendency of wearing out the carbon strips more easily. That was why SEPTA mandates their Electric Locos to use their front pantographs since they push against the wire, but created less carbon strip wear. For the most part, I think the Amtrak incidents in the last month were primarily caused by the Keystones since they can run either pantograph in either direction.

I recently saw a keystone with the loco on the wrong end.

- A

There is no wrong or right end for Keystone trains, unless of course there is no cab car in which case you have a problem. They Keystone trains are allowed to operate with which ever pantograph the engineer feels like using.

That can be done, there is nothing wrong with it, you can have a two cab cars on a train, is it ideal no as you lose a door from which boarding can be done. NJT is a perfect example of this they have trains with Cabs buried in the set.

I mean the loco was mated to the cab car!:eek:

- A

I think that would be a Regional actually. Sometimes during car shortages or expanded services, they use the Metroliners as extras in the train consist.

Archived