Unnecessary Local/Express Bus Routes

R32 3348

I was just looking at a Queens Bus Map on http://www.mta.info. I live in Jackson Heights, and recently my friend told me that I could try to take the QM22 bus when I had any free time. Now I've never rode an express bus before, so I was interested.

I checked the timetable for the bus line, and found that it's one of the most BS bus routes ever. Not only is it half a mile from my house, there are four trips a day, two in each direction. I can hardly imagine a QM22 getting crowded with only two trips that only benefit typical nine-to-fivers (is this route getting cut?).

Anyway, that leads me to my next question. Do you believe there are other local/express bus routes that are heavily underused or do not make enough trips to justify keeping during these times?

Here are some that I've noticed are unnecessary (what do you think?):

QM22 and QM23 entirely

BM4 and BM5 weekend

BxM18 entirely (not sure, I'm not good with the Bronx)

like 95% of all express routes are unnecessary. i see those express buses go down queens blvd, and their empty most of the time (sometimes youll see like 1 or 2 ppl on thats it)

express buses should be rush hours only, they should allocate those express buses on local service during other times

as of july 1 this is what will happen:

Eliminated: M6, 8, 10, 18, 27, 30, and X25

Eliminated: weekend service on M21, 22, and 50

Eliminated: overnight service on M1, 2, 16, 22, 23, 42, 50, 66, 79, 96, 102, 103, and 104 Reduced hours or rerouted: M1, M9, M11, M15, M20, M21 m100 m116, and m104

Eliminated: B23, 25, 37, 39, 51, and 75

Eliminated: B2, 4, 7, 16, 24, 48, 57, 65, 69, 71, X27, and X28

Eliminated: overnight service on B7, 14, 31, 45, 48, 57, 64, 65, 67, and 77.

Reduced hours on B2, 4, 9, 11, 13, 16, 69, 70, and 71 Eliminate part of the B13 route

Eliminated: all service on the Bx4, 14, 20, 34, BxM7B, and the Barretto Park Pool Shuttle

Eliminated: weekend service on Bx8, 18, 30, and 33

Eliminated: overnight service on Bx10

Reduced operating hours or routes on Bx33, Bx26, 28, and 30

Eliminated: Q26, 56, 74, 75, 84, QM22, QM23, and X32

Eliminated: weekend service on Q14, 31, 76, and 79

Eliminated: overnight service on Q30

Reduced operating hours or cut parts of Q42, Q48, Q79, Q24

Eliminated: weekend service on S42, 54, 57, 60, and 76 --Reduced weekday service on S54, 57, 60, and 66

I was just looking at a Queens Bus Map on http://www.mta.info. I live in Jackson Heights, and recently my friend told me that I could try to take the QM22 bus when I had any free time. Now I've never rode an express bus before, so I was interested.

I rode QM22 long time when it had 10am departure from Jackson Heights. I not sure if I rode at middle or first stops because I made mistake when I was taking M60 to catch bus, and made to 10am.

No one was on 10 o`clock bus. I was only one. Only other B/O took short distance ride along 21st St.

Q48 Reducing Sunday Service which currently operate from 5 to 1:15am will be proposal 5 to 12am, which means there will be no late night service bet. 12 and 5am. How will Flushing residents goes to LGA Airport? Will they have to take taxi, car service or take subway all the way to 125th St for M60?

Q48 Reducing Sunday Service which currently operate from 5 to 1:15am will be proposal 5 to 12am, which means there will be no late night service bet. 12 and 5am. How will Flushing residents goes to LGA Airport? Will they have to take taxi, car service or take subway all the way to 125th St for M60?

Surprisingly, there are residents using the bus. They ride the bus from Flushing to Corona.

like 95% of all express routes are unnecessary. i see those express buses go down queens blvd, and their empty most of the time (sometimes youll see like 1 or 2 ppl on thats it)

express buses should be rush hours only, they should allocate those express buses on local service during other times

False statement. The QM1A, X63, and X68 all carry decent sized crowds during rush hour. The QM4 and X64 are less crowded. Still, most express routes deserve to exist.

My folks might kill me for saying this, but the X32 really isn't needed. It only serves East Queens and Bronx Science. Most of the patrons are students from my school. We already have a school bus service between East Queens and the school. Worse yet, the bus runs only twice a day, one in, one out, IINM.

My folks might kill me for saying this, but the X32 really isn't needed. It only serves East Queens and Bronx Science. Most of the patrons are students from my school. We already have a school bus service between East Queens and the school. Worse yet, the bus runs only twice a day, one in, one out, IINM.

It's easy to get to Manhattan from Bronx Science. It's close to impossible to get to Queens from Bronx Science. Out of all the elite schools in the city Bronx Science is the hardest to reach by public transportation. Why make it even harder?

It's easy to get to Manhattan from Bronx Science. It's close to impossible to get to Queens from Bronx Science. Out of all the elite schools in the city Bronx Science is the hardest to reach by public transportation. Why make it even harder?

Most of the East Queens population of Bronx Science usually ride the private school buses. That's a hefty 60% of the population. Only a few handful ride (about 5% of the school's population) the X32 habitually. Folks from Flushing and Whitestone could take the Q44 or QBx1 into the Bronx as an alternative if they do not want to deal with the cost.

Archived