Conductor Exam 8094

3052 replies to this topic

#2711 trife86

trife86
    • Pip
    • 138 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

Only Conductor and Tower Operator can promote to Assistant Train Dispatcher or Train Operator.

https://www.nyc.gov/...00808562000.pdf

Read that again it includes bus operator to promote to train operator .

This was last promotional exam i think

#2712 RTOPRO

RTOPRO
    • Pip
    • 333 posts
    • LocationNew York

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

https://www.nyc.gov/...00808562000.pdf

Read that again it includes bus operator to promote to train operator .

This was last promotional exam i think

I was only making a reference point to those already working in the Department of Subways and/or Rapid Transit Operations.  Bus Operators have to complete a union course in order to qualify being hired from the promotional list pending passing score.

#2713 WorldsGreatestSorter

WorldsGreatestSorter
    • Pip
    • 47 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

I know for Orientation, i have to wear a light blue button down shirt, does it matter if it's Short Sleeve or Long Sleeve?

#2714 NYTech2000

NYTech2000
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 87 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

I know for Orientation, i have to wear a light blue button down shirt, does it matter if it's Short Sleeve or Long Sleeve?

Actually I would like to know that too. What are we supposed to wear for orientation an how long till we get uniforms. I might need to actually buy the clothes needed for orientation before that point. Any other suggestions on what to get to start with? For instance I remember reading here possibly a leather belt and a large backpack...

#2715 WorldsGreatestSorter

WorldsGreatestSorter
    • Pip
    • 47 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Actually I would like to know that too. What are we supposed to wear for orientation an how long till we get uniforms. I might need to actually buy the clothes needed for orientation before that point. Any other suggestions on what to get to start with? For instance I remember reading here possibly a leather belt and a large backpack...

They give you a paper that tells you where to report and what to wear. 

Shoes - Sturdy, closed, dark solid color; no sneakers or sandals

Pants - Long, dark, blue or black; solid without prints, no jeans

Shirts - Plain, button down, light blue with collar; no designs

#2716 Snowblock

Snowblock
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,542 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

You are permitted to wear short sleeve shirts at any time of the year. You must always have long pants. From Oct 1-April 30 you also must wear a hat and tie, but that usually isn't enforced during schoolcar (except when posting). Until you get your uniforms delivered, you must wear your vest if any non-TA clothing is showing. Just get light blue dress shirts, and dark blue or black dress pants. Don't worry about the shoes, you'll get TA-issued shoes in the second week so just wear anything that's black or dark brown. You'll also want to get yourself a good quality backpack dedicated to work. Get one with lots of pockets and sections. You'll be required to carry a gasmask, which will be the biggest tool in your bag -- some people have tied it to the outside of their bags, mine sits at the bottom of a pocket with my flashlight and vest. I have two little pockets on the sides where I keep my keys and rollsign changer.

During the second half of the first week of orientation, you will be warned to bring an extra bag that day. You'll want to bring a medium-sized suitcase with you that day, as you'll be getting all of your tools as well as about 20 lb of textbooks.

#2717 Xentor

Xentor
    • Pip
    • 432 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

You are permitted to wear short sleeve shirts at any time of the year. You must always have long pants. From Oct 1-April 30 you also must wear a hat and tie, but that usually isn't enforced during schoolcar (except when posting). Until you get your uniforms delivered, you must wear your vest if any non-TA clothing is showing. Just get light blue dress shirts, and dark blue or black dress pants. Don't worry about the shoes, you'll get TA-issued shoes in the second week so just wear anything that's black or dark brown. You'll also want to get yourself a good quality backpack dedicated to work. Get one with lots of pockets and sections. You'll be required to carry a gasmask, which will be the biggest tool in your bag -- some people have tied it to the outside of their bags, mine sits at the bottom of a pocket with my flashlight and vest. I have two little pockets on the sides where I keep my keys and rollsign changer.

During the second half of the first week of orientation, you will be warned to bring an extra bag that day. You'll want to bring a medium-sized suitcase with you that day, as you'll be getting all of your tools as well as about 20 lb of textbooks.

No harm in using a suitcase to carry the books and paperwork. I personally used the backpack I ferry around all day, a tough Swissgear with a bunch of sections and pockets. Like Snowblock said, its important to use a very functional bag or backpack. The mask, rulebook and flashlight are going to be the heaviest things you carry while on the road, not to mention maybe extra clothes, food and a bunch of extra things you're going to find useful. In schoolcar you're going to carry all those things plus the bulletin book, a large textbook and a smaller one (a BUNCH of heavy induction/orientation stuff for a while) and other material such as papers and pamphlets. Some people use a gym bag, I find it a pain but it's up to you.

#2718 straphanger

straphanger
    • Pip
    • 39 posts
    • Locationnew york

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

What are you suppose to do if you working on the train and suddenly have to take a dump? shyt? or better yet if you have diarrhea? If your breakfast or lunch runs through your stomach I guess that tiny cab is gonna be victimized.

#2719 Vee

Vee
    • Pip
    • 135 posts
    • Locationnyc

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi,
    Spoke to Ms.Shivers today, and she is up to #2160....she told me about another month before I get called in...my list number is in 2340-2350 range...so just wanted to give everyone a heads up who is waiting as well.

#2720 straphanger

straphanger
    • Pip
    • 39 posts
    • Locationnew york

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

respect for getting back to the topic of where they are at in hiring. but who has the answer for the dump question that already works for the mta? surely somebody has had a run in with the aww shyt!

Legal Disclaimer: The NYC Transit Forums website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes.
    This website is no way connected or affiliated with the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) or any other related transportation agency.
    It also claims no rights to the trademarks of MTA, NJT, Amtrak and any other listed transportation agency logo on this website.