•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    * * * * * 1 votes

T/O Exam # 7604 (Open-Competitive)

news

156 replies to this topic

#1 ren

ren
    • Pip
    • 70 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

The application for this position begins December 9, 2016. 

http://web.mta.info/.../hr/appexam.htm

It also says on the bottom of the page to look through their exam archives for previous Notices of Examination for that job. I couldn't find it there, but I found an old one from 2009 here:

http://www.nyc.gov/h...00808098000.pdf

Question to anyone who can advise me:

What EXACTLY do they ask you on the Education and Experience form? Does anyone have a blank sample they might be willing to share? I ask this because I found on another forum that applicants for T/O filled it out seemingly correctly and still got DQ'd: 

http://www.city-data...xam-got-14.html

Do you need pay stubs? What DO you need? Has anyone been through this before? Does college work sudy count?

Also, what does it mean when they say part-time work experience will be "pro-rated"? What is that?

#2 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,861 posts
    • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

What EXACTLY do they ask you on the Education and Experience form? Does anyone have a blank sample they might be willing to share? I ask this because I found on another forum that applicants for T/O filled it out seemingly correctly and still got DQ'd: 

http://www.city-data...xam-got-14.html

Do you need pay stubs? What DO you need? Has anyone been through this before? Does college work sudy count?

Also, what does it mean when they say part-time work experience will be "pro-rated"? What is that?

First, calm down. The filing period is not for another four [4] months and things can change by then (hopefully not).

I've been through it. On the online education and experience form, they will just ask you for your work history and/or what college you went to. As far as work-study, if you got paid with taxes taken out, then it counts. If you did not get paid, then it does not count. You do not need to provide pay stubs.

As far as "pro-rated", let me explain:

They say you need either 5 years of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week). If you have a part-time job in which you've been working 20 hours per week for 10 years, that will also be acceptable.

Now, the old Notice of Examination does say that a baccalaureate (or a bachelor's degree) can substitute for four [4] years of work experience, in which the candidate would still need one [1] year of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week).

So say for example the candidate has a bachelor's degree and two [2] years of part-time work experience (20 hours per week), that would also be acceptable.

Got it? If not, just post what you specifically do not understand.

w-tt5.gif

R.I.P. Transit Transit News Magazine, 1994 - 2014 (https://www.youtube....?v=-sF89sIqzVQ)

Thank you for forming my forming my invaluable love, hobby & passion for (MTA) NYC Transit.

#3 jon2305

jon2305
    • PipPip
    • 572 posts
    • LocationThe Freakshow

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

First, calm down. The filing period is not for another four [4] months and things can change by then (hopefully not).

I've been through it. On the online education and experience form, they will just ask you for your work history and/or what college you went to. As far as work-study, if you got paid with taxes taken out, then it counts. If you did not get paid, then it does not count. You do not need to provide pay stubs.

As far as "pro-rated", let me explain:

They say you need either 5 years of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week). If you have a part-time job in which you've been working 20 hours per week for 10 years, that will also be acceptable.

Now, the old Notice of Examination does say that a baccalaureate (or a bachelor's degree) can substitute for four [4] years of work experience, in which the candidate would still need one [1] year of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week).

So say for example the candidate has a bachelor's degree and two [2] years of part-time work experience (20 hours per week), that would also be acceptable.

Got it? If not, just post what you specifically do not understand.

Thanks so much for the information. This truly helps out my understanding.

#4 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,861 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

Thanks so much for the information. This truly helps out my understanding.

No problem. That's why we're here (not only me, but other members as well).

w-tt5.gif

R.I.P. Transit Transit News Magazine, 1994 - 2014 (https://www.youtube....?v=-sF89sIqzVQ)

Thank you for forming my forming my invaluable love, hobby & passion for (MTA) NYC Transit.

#5 ren

ren
    • Pip
    • 70 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

Are they strict on that employment/educational history? Say you have 76 credits, and four years of work-study, but only 1 year of which was paid.That would be about three years, two short of the five. So that would DQ me. But what if I accumulated 120 credits after the exam was given but before I got called up. Could that be acceptable? Or do you need the 120 credits the day you apply for the exam?

#6 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,861 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

Are they strict on that employment/educational history? Say you have 76 credits, and four years of work-study, but only 1 year of which was paid.That would be about three years, two short of the five. So that would DQ me. But what if I accumulated 120 credits after the exam was given but before I got called up. Could that be acceptable? Or do you need the 120 credits the day you apply for the exam?

I would say "yes" based on the huge number of people that are going to apply (and this is only for the Open-Competitive portion). As far as accumulating college credits after the exam, if you look at the old "Notice of Examination," it clearly says that "By the Last Day of the Application Period you must have..." And, from what I remember during my college days, those work-study programs are part-time.

Therefore, I hate to admit it, but I think you're out of luck. Sorry...

w-tt5.gif

#7 ren

ren
    • Pip
    • 70 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

can the part-time work study be pro-rated?

#8 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,861 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

can the part-time work study be pro-rated?

You can try, but the Notice of Examination says "paid satisfactory work experience."

w-tt5.gif

#9 ren

ren
    • Pip
    • 70 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:54 PM

I see. Are those requirements always the same every time they test for T/O? I wonder if they would relax them a bit...?

#10 elantra06

elantra06
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 249 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

I see. Are those requirements always the same every time they test for T/O? I wonder if they would relax them a bit...?

I don't see them relaxing the requirements to get the job. Even since I've came out of schoolcar 3yrs ago they have actually raised the requirements in schoolcar.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news