Vibe Magazine To Close Down Immediately

Messino

By Richard Perez-Pena

Vibe, one of the nation’s leading popular music magazines, is closing immediately, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Word was broken early this afternoon by the Web site dailyfinance.com and spread to other music and media news sites. The spokeswoman, Tracy Nguyen, said the Vibe staff would be formally notified in a meeting at 2 p.m. She said she did not know how many people would be laid off as a result of the closure.

Vibe’s closure leaves just one large-circulation magazine, The Source, focusing on hip-hop and R&B. The Source has had its own troubles, going through a bankruptcy and emerging under new ownership last year. A rock-focused magazine, Blender, folded last year.

In a memo to the staff announcing the closure, Steve Aaron, CEO of Vibe Media Group, wrote that for months, the company tried in vain to either find new investors or “to restructure the huge debt on our small company.”

“The print advertising collapse hit Vibe hard, especially as key ad categories like automotive and fashion, which represented the bulk of our top 10 advertisers, have stopped advertising or gone out of business,” he wrote.

The musician Quincy Jones and the company then called Time Warner created Vibe in 1992. The Wicks Group, a private equity firm, bought it in 2006. Vibe reported circulation of 818,000 in the second half of last year, a healthy figure, but like most magazines it suffered from falling advertising. It announced in February that in July, it would cut its rate base - the circulation promised to advertisers - from 800,000 to 600,000.

I was watchin this show on BCAT, where this broad (a president of some local urban magazine I never heard of) was mentioning that the magazine industry wasn't doin well....

Well this is proof of it... The Source isn't doin that well, King magazine bit the dust a couple months ago, now Vibe is goin suffer the same fate....

this brings back painful memories of the death of CosmoGIRL! :cry: i completely fell apart when i learned of its folding because it was my favorite magazine for years. now receive Seventeen as a replacement and though it does have its juicy stuff, is not as good as CosmoGIRL!. i hope they do not fold Seventeen or any of the other magazines i read, including Glamour, Teen Vogue, and Cosmopolitan.

this brings back painful memories of the death of CosmoGIRL! :cry: i completely fell apart when i learned of its folding because it was my favorite magazine for years. now receive Seventeen as a replacement and though it does have its juicy stuff, is not as good as CosmoGIRL!. i hope they do not fold Seventeen or any of the other magazines i read, including Glamour, Teen Vogue, and Cosmopolitan.

Errrr..........ummm.........okay.

Errrr..........ummm.........okay.

HAHAHAHAHAH my reaction as well.

I can see how the print industry is doing bad, there are way too many magazines around and the content they have is not up to par the way it used to be in the past. It has all become so mediocre and at a time when they need to compete with online publications they are not stepping up the quality of their content when they need to the most.

Magazines, I feel, are a bit too expensive for something that you dispose of in a month. Therefore, I don't buy them, or I'll just read them at the news stand and leave. It's sad to see the industry falter, though.

Magazines, I feel, are a bit too expensive for something that you dispose of in a month. Therefore, I don't buy them, or I'll just read them at the news stand and leave. It's sad to see the industry falter, though.

I have to agree. The magazines should have lowered their prices in last few years. That way they would be better able to compete with online publications which for many are low cost or free.

In the end, only the biggies in magazines biz like "Time" "Sports Illustratred" "Playboy' and few others will survive.

Ditto for newspapers. In Denver about a month or two ago which should have gotten more media attention, a major paper in that city went out of business that been publishing for over 100 years.

In Boston, the internationally known "Boston Globe" almost went out of business and the entire company from reporters/writers to machinsts had to take pay cuts to keep their jobs.

I am surprised here in NYC, none of the '4' major dailies yet in this recession, have went under or be in financial troubles.

This is the huge downside of the online revolution. People will lose jobs in the magazine and newspaper biz.

I have to agree. The magazines should have lowered their prices in last few years. That way they would be better able to compete with online publications which for many are low cost or free.

In the end, only the biggies in magazines biz like "Time" "Sports Illustratred" "Playboy' and few others will survive.

Ditto for newspapers. In Denver about a month or two ago which should have gotten more media attention, a major paper in that city went out of business that been publishing for over 100 years.

In Boston, the internationally known "Boston Globe" almost went out of business and the entire company from reporters/writers to machinsts had to take pay cuts to keep their jobs.

I am surprised here in NYC, none of the '4' major dailies yet in this recession, have went under or be in financial troubles.

This is the huge downside of the online revolution. People will lose jobs in the magazine and newspaper biz.

Well, the New York Times has had alot of financial problems recently. People rarely read print anymore. The Internet gives you all the news you need, faster, and you can comment on stories on certain news sites.

Well, the New York Times has had alot of financial problems recently. People rarely read print anymore. The Internet gives you all the news you need, faster, and you can comment on stories on certain news sites.

That why big city papers like NYC's 'big 4' English Language papers needs a new game plan. If it were up to me one idea is this. Maybe expand on their 24-7 online edition and make the 'daily' print versions 'free' like AM New York and Metro. Unless it a big news stories like last week with the passing of Micheal Jackson and Farrah Fawcett there no need any more for 50-page plus daily newspapers like the NY Times. Also trees worldwide are being cut to make papers but that another topic altogether. There room for daily papers but it needs to be shortened.

You can just put the headlines in 20-page papers maxium and if the reader 'wants more' articles than go online for the columinsts.

It may seems stupid but i just a common sense thought.

this is exactly why my beloved CosmoGIRL! folded. most people went to their website, which is still running, rather than read the actual magazine. the last few issues barely had any real life stories or funny bloopers, just ads.

It all boils down to magazine cover prices being way too expensive and people losing interest. This is what others have mentioned and its pretty straight on. Why pay when you can get it for free online?

Some sites like the NY Times and the men'(adult)publications like Playboy,etc. are not free.

this is exactly why my beloved CosmoGIRL! folded. most people went to their website, which is still running, rather than read the actual magazine. the last few issues barely had any real life stories or funny bloopers, just ads.

Oh,ok, you so mainly read CosmoGIRL for the articles..;)

Your beloved Cosmo Girl?

Your beloved Cosmo Girl?

I don't know about some of the other members here, but I think you're a little too obsessed with that mag.

LOL reminds me of when many of the "railfans" get their panties all in a bunch (panties? in a vibe/cosmogirl thread??) when someone gently reminds them that "their" SMEEs will someday be swimming.

"oh ma gawd no not my R__'s!!!"

;):P:P:p:p:p:p:p:p

LOL reminds me of when many of the "railfans" get their panties all in a bunch (panties? in a vibe/cosmogirl thread??) when someone gently reminds them that "their" SMEEs will someday be swimming.

"oh ma gawd no not my R__'s!!!"

:D:P:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

People are nuts. B)

Archived