Extending the (R) to Jamaica-179th St

blkfire765

I really doubt that the MTA is going to expand the (E) past Archer Avenue because there is not enough demand for it. If people wanted it, then the MTA would proudly give it to them, butt hey couldn't back in the 1980s because they ran out of funds for the project. People don't really complain about the line as of now so there's no need to expand it at present.

Bollocks!

Ask the people who take the Q5/Q85 from Rosedale if they would rather have the (E) running to Rosedale.

Also, there is huge demand for SAS: where is it?

It's been needed ever since the El was torn down. The El was torn down quite some time ago.

Sadly that is the truth. Lexington has been handling all the crowds ever since because it is the only East Side line; the West Side has two. SAS has been needed for over half a century now. We don't even know when it will be finished, but it won't even open to passengers for another decade at most, and won't be finished for another two at least.

If you haven't noticed, it being built as I speak.

It's been planned since the 1930's by the IND, parts were built during the 70's and intill it is opened the current construction means nothing.

If you haven't noticed, it being built as I speak.

And if you were alive 35 years ago and had said the same thing then, it also would have been true. But it's still not here yet so "I'll believe it when I see it" - at a minimum they NEED to finish phase I...

And if you were alive 35 years ago and had said the same thing then, it also would have been true. But it's still not here yet so "I'll believe it when I see it" - at a minimum they NEED to finish phase I...

...which won't be completed for another decade or so....

It's not fully funded. Out of a $4 billion project (probably 5-6 billion now), only 2-3.5 billion has been funded. Unless you can give me a link for the funding thing because I haven't heard any updates on funding in a while...

BTW, having the (E) extended (at least to Springfield - minimum Linden) down Merrick Blvd. would be a great idea as it would add capacity to the line. There's no money for it though.

It was supposed to capture the branch of the LIRR and run to Rosedale.

(Another problem would be moving the LIRR trains off of that to the other branch).

That would have been great, too bad the money ran dry. I've taken buses out to Rosedale and the dollar vans the ride is long and the buses are pretty crowded. The (E) to Rosedale would really have been appreciated and the ridership would have been very high. But if the tracks do run as far Merrick wouldn't extending the (E) one stop and building a proper terminal be more of a benefit.

BTW the Instead of extending the (R) to 179 how about the (V). The (R) is a pretty long haul as a local thru Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens .

i know this will never happen or probably even work, but how about bringing back the (Q6) and extending it to jamaica 179th st?

(Q6) weekday rush hour service only

Jamaica 179th st (QNS)- Coney Island-Stillwell Av (Brooklyn)

Queens blvd EXP

i know this will never happen or probably even work, but how about bringing back the (Q6) and extending it to jamaica 179th st?

Queens blvd EXP

I proposed something like that, but not with the Sixth Avenue (Q6), the Broadway (Q) rather. And Queens Boulevard, as per what everyone else is saying, cannot handle three express lines, especially with construction going on right now where (E) and (F) trains are running less frequently during the rush hour.

That would have been great, too bad the money ran dry. I've taken buses out to Rosedale and the dollar vans the ride is long and the buses are pretty crowded. The (E) to Rosedale would really have been appreciated and the ridership would have been very high. But if the tracks do run as far Merrick wouldn't extending the (E) one stop and building a proper terminal be more of a benefit.
That would be great. The (J) would be easier, because it was the one intended to go straight, and just ends right there. The (E) tunnel curves to the right towards the LIRR alignment, and is used for layups. To extend that straight, you would have to build a grade crossing, and cut through facilities that lie straight ahead.

If they did that, I would merge the two levels leading to the new terminal, adding a connection for added flexibility.

Then, I would build a connection passage (perhaps a shop-lined concourse) to the lower level of the 165th bus terminal (There is a lower level, and you can even see the stairway leading to it, but I don't know what it is used for!). Perhaps even dig up the bus lot and build a lower level of boarding areas. All the buses that terminate at the Parsons strip would now be moved to this new level, so you would have a major, consolidated transportation terminal, like a miniature Port Authority. (Maybe even add a monorail shuttle to the Sutphi LIRR terminal!)

That would be great. The (J) would be easier, because it was the one intended to go straight, and just ends right there. The (E) tunnel curves to the right towards the LIRR alignment, and is used for layups. To extend that straight, you would have to build a grade crossing, and cut through facilities that lie straight ahead.

If they did that, I would merge the two levels leading to the new terminal, adding a connection for added flexibility.

Then, I would build a connection passage (perhaps a shop-lined concourse) to the lower level of the 165th bus terminal (There is a lower level, and you can even see the stairway leading to it, but I don't know what it is used for!). Perhaps even dig up the bus lot and build a lower level of boarding areas. All the buses that terminate at the Parsons strip would now be moved to this new level, so you would have a major, consolidated transportation terminal, like a miniature Port Authority. (Maybe even add a monorail shuttle to the Sutphi LIRR terminal!)

My thoughts exactly extending the line to Merrick gives you a connection to the 165th Street Bus Terminal....But I was always aware the (E) was supposed towards Southeast Queens but I didn't know about the (J) to Hollis. I just looked it up on Wiki. With the tracks extending so far south the ground work for a the (E) Rosedale extension is there anyway. It's too bad the money ran dry.

how about expanding the (E) line futher down merrick blvd and make a better terminal, one to let (R) trains run down there.... good idea or no?

The (R) is long enough, the (E) alone is fine.

Queens blvd EXP

Queens Blvd. can't handle another express line as it already operates 30TPH.

IIRC the Archer Ave line wasn't supposed to end at Parsons but was supposed to continue eastward and southeastward. The present terminal was only a waystation. If the line continued on a lot of the southeastern Queens bus routes and the Nassau county bus routes wouldn't have to terminate there and a lot of the congestion would be removed from the area.

IIRC the Archer Ave line wasn't supposed to end at Parsons but was supposed to continue eastward and southeastward. The present terminal was only a waystation. If the line continued on a lot of the southeastern Queens bus routes and the Nassau county bus routes wouldn't have to terminate there and a lot of the congestion would be removed from the area.

if the (MTA) some how managed or had the money in the future to extend the archer av line how about extending the (E) down merrick blvd to south jamaica?

Archived