Dunkin Donuts replaced by Horton as offical donut shop at Penn Station/MSG

Shortline Bus

Any one hear the news effective Monday 7/13/09 that Dunkin Donuts is gone as the offical donut/coffee shop provider at New York-Penn Station/Madison Square Garden? Replaced by Tim Hortons. Prior to DD, Krise Kream was the Donut/coffee shop of Penn Station area.

Personally i know Hortons well as they have a few stores in Western New York state mainly the Buffalo area when i attended SUNY Buffalo College for a year in mid 1990's. They also have a few more US stores mainly in border area like Buffalo, Detroit and Seattle as well. Horton is named after as you would suspect a former NHL 'journeymen' hockey player. Here story.

Dunkin' Donuts loses out to Canadian invaders Tim Hortons in war of donuts at Penn Station

By Kenny Porpora and Corky Siemaszko

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Thursday, July 9th 2009

An international donut war is breaking out in Penn Station, and the first casualty is American - Dunkin' Donuts.

The munchkin maker has been ousted by Tim Hortons, a caloric colossus from Canada famous for its maple-glazed donuts and "double double" coffee (two sugars, two creams), which is opening shop in Penn on Monday morning.

Hortons also has a few US stores mainly in border town of Buffalo and Detroit as well and trying to expand into the lucrative multi-billion Dollar American fast food donut/snack industry as well.

Word of the Canadian invasion fell like a belly bomb among Dunkin' devotees Thursday and left some crying in their crullers.

"I wish they'd replace them with an American company," said Pat Smith, who was sipping his Dunkin' coffee and waiting for the train home to Ronkonkoma when he got the word.

"I love Dunkin' Donuts," said Larry Hines, 35, an Amtrak worker clutching a brown bag containing his coconut donut. "I've been coming here since the '70s and to this particular one for the eight years I've worked here."

One of New York's Finest, who asked to be identified just as "Keith," said, "I'm a cop. Take away Dunkin' Donuts and what's my stereotype going to be?"

Well Keith, you can always radio your supervisors and tell them you're heading to the "Tango Hotel." That's Canadian cop speak for Tim Hortons, according to NY1 anchor Pat Kiernan, who grew up in Calgary.

"It's a glorious day for Canadians in the city," Kiernan cheered. "My favorite is the apple fritter. I import a bagful every time I come back from Canada."

Kimberly McLeod, a Brooklyn expat now living in Ottawa, said New Yorkers will gobble up the Timbits.

"They're like munchkins," she said. "They have different maple flavors. Maple, that's the thing up here."

McLeod also predicted Tim Hortons will be a hit "because they offer a lot of different and healthy sandwiches."

That, strangely enough, is why the Riese Organization gave Dunkin' Donuts the heave ho from Penn Station and a dozen other locations in Manhattan.

"We have had problems making a profit with Dunkin' Donuts in midtown," said Chairman Dennis Riese. "Dunkin gives you donuts in the morning, and it's not too strong the rest of the day."

Riese also turned his nose up at Dixie-based Krispy Kreme, which has, since 1996, slaked the sweet tooth of many a Yankee commuter.

"Without me knocking our Southern brethren, I always thought their donuts were terrible," said Riese.

For Beth Flowers of Birmingham, Ala., that kind of talk borders on blasphemy.

"They can bring in any company they want," said Flowers, 32. "It'll never be better than Krispy Kreme. Their original glaze recipe is light and just superior to anybody else's."

c)2009 NY Daily News?

Feel free to comment or discuss your favorite donut/fast food bakery chain? Kreme, Hortons or (D) (D)?

I like both Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Hortons, the latter of which has some extremely good sandwiches. It's always good to see more Tim Hortons in this country (there are a few in New England and other areas, but they're not very common.)

Tim Horton sandwichs especially their tuna is pretty good. I been to Hortons in both Toronto and Buffalo.

What the heck?! This is an outrage, i've been getting donuts & hot cocoa at DD penn station for nearly 10 years! I don't want some pseudo-cafe to replace them! :mad:

- A

Tim Horton donuts is not that bad imo. Plus Hortons sandwichs is pretty good as well.

Is this an anti Canada thing lol? :cool:Joking.

Looks like I am going to have to give Tim Hortons a try seeing that Dunkin donuts is only good for their coffee and donuts, I love their coffee but what other food / sandwhiches they do have is gross and smells like rotten feet.

It's just stupid.

I like canada, a lot of :septa:, (NJT) and (MTA) equipment is made or assembled partially there too.

I'm upset because i like dunkin donuts, i don't want a sandwich i want a donut and hot cocoa for $3.45.

- A

I like both Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Hortons, the latter of which has some extremely good sandwiches. It's always good to see more Tim Hortons in this country (there are a few in New England and other areas, but they're not very common.)

Same here. I'm content as long as no more starbucks pop up. DD's or Tim Horton's are fine with me...

I personally think Dunkin Donuts is the best institution known to man. I love their donuts, breakfast sandwiches, muffins, drinks, pastries etc. It's my one stop place for good stuff. Their bagels are ok, but I've had much better

got that rights it was better then TwinDount and a LOT cheaper then Starbuck's coffee, I went wants to the 125th -Lenox Starbucks and a small coffee cost $4 there. While at DK its from 60 cent to $1. Not a coffee fan but ive seen, Im more of Hot chocolate person

There is a starbucks by my school and I used to get a frapichino (spring/fall) or hot chocolate (winter) but I stopped because they were so damn expensive. I hate starbucks yuppies, but dammit I love their hot chocolate and fraps. Their hot cocoa was more chocolatey than sweet, and I loved that. Ever have one their Moca fapichino or hot chocolate... heaven.

There is a starbucks by my school and I used to get a frapichino (spring/fall) or hot chocolate (winter) but I stopped because they were so damn expensive. I hate starbucks yuppies, but dammit I love their hot chocolate and fraps. Their hot cocoa was more chocolatey than sweet, and I loved that. Ever have one their Moca fapichino or hot chocolate... heaven.

The frapuucino's you can buy in a convenience store refrigerator are $1.50 or so and way better than the ones in the actual starbucks.

Plus Dunkin Donuts Coolata's > fraps

Don't get me wrong, but if you are a coffee liker, then you definitely know Starbucks is the place to go, despite the money, they give some of the best blends around... Their coffee is also a lot stronger, than the "brown water" served in other fast food places!

i am a diabetic now but before i was i used to love crispy creme donuts they in my opinion were better than dunkin donuts when i use to go south all u would see would be crispy creme the horton chain never tried last year i took my daughter to penn station and gave her a crispy creme donut and she said these are better than dunkin donuts

Don't get me wrong, but if you are a coffee liker, then you definitely know Starbucks is the place to go, despite the money, they give some of the best blends around... Their coffee is also a lot stronger, than the "brown water" served in other fast food places!

Their coffee tastes horrid to me like they burn the beans or something.

The best tasting coffee is at McDonalds. Some group did a study on what coffee is the best and it concluded that the majority of Americans prefer McDonald's coffee over any brand.

To me Dunkin Donuts or McDonald's are both fine. I remember hearing about that study though.

Personally I Can't stand starbucks coffee because the few times I have had it, its always been bitter and burnt. Seems no amount of milk or sugar can fix it. Plus the overpricing, plus the fact that I ask for a "medium" and they are incapable of understanding what that means. Also can't stand the pretentiousness and the stupid part where I have to stand on line for 15 minutes because the 10 people in front of me all want to "customize" their coffee.

Give me a cup of Joe and on my way I go. Dunkin D's or Golden Arches FTW. :( Tim Horton's isn't bad but aside from this new one I don't really know of any in the city. When I was up in Providence I used to go to one every so often though and never was disappointed.

The best tasting coffee is at McDonalds. Some group did a study on what coffee is the best and it concluded that the majority of Americans prefer McDonald's coffee over any brand.

Hot coffee, a definite yes. Ice coffee, complete garbage.

At least Tim Horton has good coffee!

Hot coffee, a definite yes. Ice coffee, complete garbage.

At least Tim Horton has good coffee!

Again for those of you who are unhappy about DD leaving Penn/MSG, give Tim Hortons a try. I enjoyed them myself. Hortons is basically part Dunkins/7-11 and those of you in NJ/PA/Del areas "Wawa' as well.

Again for those of you who are unhappy about DD leaving Penn/MSG, give Tim Hortons a try. I enjoyed them myself. Hortons is basically part Dunkins/7-11 and those of you in NJ/PA/Del areas "Wawa' as well.

I often compare Tim Horton's coffee to that of Starbucks' Coffee. In Canada, they label Starbucks as "Fivebucks" and prefer Tim Hortons over them. Then again, Canadians are kind of cheap no offense to anyone.

Archived