So why would you want to be Bus operator

RTS4Life

I'm asking this question to see how many people on here want to and why. Also if your a Bus Operator could you please explain how you felt when you were training. When I was training Day 1 was very Scary they had me take the bus onto the express way and do 55mph in the bronx. calling out over pass 10'6'' 14' or better and they didn't want me to stop only if I really had to. it was crazy. Also the EL Pillars and Acute Angle turns very Scary it was fun after day 4.

Good Luck to all who wants to be B/o

Nothing surprised me, since I've been through that training at Coach USA (no El pillars but cones instead). Driving on the H'way did that for 5 and 1/2 years as a OTR coach driver.

Why did I want to be a B/O? I loved buses growing up, and always wanted to drive one. That passion has crashed and burned like the Hindenburg. I hate even knowing I have to come HERE anymore. Can't wait for the change. It will be a blessing.

I wouldn't mind being a B/O. I grew up taking buses all my life. I really like to get to drive a Flxible one day, especially a Flx Metro-D. OHHHHHH MANNNNNN! But ya, wouldn't mind driving an MCI or Nova once in a while either. And also, have more open contact with people. Not a great thing, neither a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind being a B/O. I grew up taking buses all my life. I really like to get to drive a Flxible one day, especially a Flx Metro-D. OHHHHHH MANNNNNN! But ya, wouldn't mind driving an MCI or Nova once in a while either. And also, have more open contact with people. Not a great thing, neither a bad thing.

Pablo so did I, that is why I became one. Driving them isn't bad. It's the stress that comes with driving them, and there is stress that comes with driving a bus for a living. That's a fact of a B/Os job. Other motorist act as if you are invisible, and do real dumb things around larger vehicles, whether 18 wheeler or bus. It's FAR from easy to do. Loved the fact I became a B/O, then learned to hate it, now well trained to just give up, drive safe, and not give a flying F anymore about the job. Blood money it truly is, here. Other agencies might be better, but I don't know. I am only speaking about being a B/O here at the MTA. You don't want to have contact with this public the MTA deals with (no offense to the bus/train riders here). Here, the less the better. That is why senior guys pick lines with low ridership at MTA.

Yeah an express run would be awsome driving on the highway it better than a local run which you will be sitting in traffic all day but i wouldnt mind driving an local route like the B2 or the B11.

If you think about it, you're basically sitting in traffic with almost any express route you choose especially at rush hours.

If you think about it, you're basically sitting in traffic with almost any express route you choose especially at rush hours.

Driving charter buses is almost the same as driving express buses. I have sat PLENTY of times in traffic. The STI Expressway, Lincoln Tunnel approach in and out bound, Holland Tunnel approach in and out bound, GWB approach in and out bound, and of course the good old LIE, and BQE. Friday at 2p.m and after, look for sitting for a LONG time.

If I became a bus driver, I would love to drive for LIB. Traffic in Long Island moves very well, and the timetables for LIB's routes reflect it (compare the timetable of the N72 with say, the timetable of the M4). The passengers in Nassau also do not seem as bad as those who ride the bus in the city although a lot of the passengers do not speak English, which can be annoying sometimes when it comes to giving information. I'm also a huge fan of the Orion V CNG and it just so happens that those buses make all of LIB's fleet. Lastly, I like a lot of LIB's routes and where they end, like Roosevelt Field and the Long Beach LIRR station, along with the amount of the routes it has to one depot.

Archived