NFL 2009 Season

Shortline Bus

Thought i create new topic on the last Sunday in July 2009, as summer is starting to fade away and turn our thoughts to fall. While i love baseball, and to certain degree NBA, my #1 passion/love is the NFL.

It was too early to make picks and wont do so until few days before week #1 of regular season.

Only question for now? Will Bret Favre come out of retirment to play for the Vikings?

To get you in mood for NFL season, here a clip of the first '2' modern NFL TV Theme. The first used by NBC-TV in early 1970's when they were the TV home of the AFC. This theme was also used for serveral years on their MLB Baseball coverage as well when NBC-TV had the MLB Saturday "game of the week.'

Also enclosed is the oringal Monday Night TV theme when the games were on ABC-TV. Enjoy the old school.

1)Oringal NFL on NBC TV Theme. Used circa 1973-1982.

2)Oringal Monday Night Football theme on ABC-TV. Revised version now used on ESPN NFL games.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmmesEgKw3U

Well as a big (J)(E)(T)(S) fans ..I smell a willd card this year....he have the wild card....cuz t.o can't win in buffalo him self..I'm gonna say jets 10 6....miami 9-7 buffalo 9-7 and I hate new england but I think they will go 12 - 4....

Without going too much into my picks for the new season until around labor day weekend, i say this. If Brady is healthy as he seems so far this summer, they are at least a super bowl contender. The Big Ben legal problems (ie accused rape charges) might be a huge cloud for the defending champion Steelers to repeat. However barring injuries i still except Pittsburgh to return to playoffs.

i am a big fottball fan and was a cowboys fan since 1978 but now i dont like them anymore because of the way they treated terrell owens and now this season im just going to enjoy the games and not rooting for anyone cant wait to football start

Developing Story. NFL Boss Roger Goddell today 7/27/09 has placed disgraced former Falcons Star QB Micheal Vick back into the NFL on conditional basis.

Vick is now a full free agent and can sign with any NFL team. The only catch is that he will not be able to compete in regular season NFL game until week 6 of the '09 NFL season provided he gets into 'no trouble' by October 1. So Micheal Vick if anyone wants him will be back in the league.

Problem is will any team sign him fearing protests from some people such as PETA? Reactions?

i think he will be signed and dont be surprised if it is the washington redskins daniel snyder likes big names and does like his quarterback now as fa as peta the man did his time leave him alone no disrespect but the punishment he got was a bit excessive dante stallworth killed a man and didnt get nowhere near the penalty vick got

i think he will be signed and dont be surprised if it is the washington redskins daniel snyder likes big names and does like his quarterback now as fa as peta the man did his time leave him alone no disrespect but the punishment he got was a bit excessive dante stallworth killed a man and didnt get nowhere near the penalty vick got

Well looks like Bret Favre has finally offically ended his future hall of fame in NFL. On Wed. Favre turns down offer from Vikings to be their #1 Quaterback for 2009 season. Next stop after spending time in Miss. is maybe the TV Broadcast booth with maybe either ESPN or Fox.

Here the details. BREAKING Sports NEWS ALERT: Plaxico Indicted on Weapons Charges from

A grand jury has indicted ex-New York Giant Plaxico Burress on weapons charges.

Ex-New York Giants star Plaxico Burress indicted on three charges; Antonio Pierce off the hook

By Melissa Grace and Corky Siemaszko

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Monday, August 3rd 2009, 2:00 PM

Former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress was indicted on three charges by the grand jury looking into his Nov. 2008 self-inflcted shooting.

The 2008 Super Bowl star faces 3 1/2 years to 15 years in prison if he is convicted on a weapons count. He remains free on $100,000 bail. However this indictment ends any chance for him to be able to return in the NFL for the upcoming 2009 season starting in September.

A Manhattan grand jury indicted Burress on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment.

The jurors did not buy Burress' claim that he did not mean to commit a felony when he fumbled his illegal .40-caliber Glock inside a crowded nightclub - and shot himself in the thigh.

Nor were they moved by Burress' public apology, which came after he testified for three hours about the November 2008 shooting that derailed his stint with the Giants and ended the team's hopes of a Super Bowl repeat.

Teammate Antonio Pierce, who was with Burress the night of the shooting was not indicted. Prosecutors said he played a part in hiding the weapon.

Mayor Bloomberg and Retiring Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau have called for Burress to serve serious jail time if he's convicted.

Burress, 31, caught the game winning touchdown when the Giants upset the New England Patriots in 2008.

Big Blue dumped Burress after the shooting inside the crowded Latin Quarter, costing him a $35 million contract extension.

Pierce, told the grand jury that he helped the bleeding wide receiver and later reportedly returned the gun back to Burress' home in Totowa, N.J.

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc.

Reactions?

I only watch baseball in the crew rooms, basketball....well I get more entertainment playing with my own basketballs, and for football.....well I can't wait. That is my favorite sport, and I was so happy it was my Philadelphia Eagles that sent the Giants packing this time around, hahahhahah.........

I only watch baseball in the crew rooms, basketball....well I get more entertainment playing with my own basketballs, and for football.....well I can't wait. That is my favorite sport, and I was so happy it was my Philadelphia Eagles that sent the Giants packing this time around, hahahhahah.........

Eagles fan eh? and to think we were cool. *slashes your tires*

Eagles fan eh? and to think we were cool. *slashes your tires*

I love the NFL but so called trainning camps/pre season is way too long. I know NFL Boss Roger Godell and his TV partners wants to expand the regular sesdon to 18 games w/ 2 pre season games.

I hear on various NFL shows the expanded 18 game season will start in the 2012 season with '2' 'bye'(off weeks) for all teams. The season would start Labor Day weekend and season ending the 2nd-3rd Sunday in Feb. with the super bowl.

Guys that follow football here would an 18 game NFL regular season be too long?

As I do every season, I wish the (J)(E)(T)(S) a successful preseason. Gang Green opens on Friday August 14th hosting the St. Louis Rams at Giants Stadium.

This year, the regular season opens on September 10th and Week 17 closes on January 3d. I heard that the Pro Bowl might be moved up and fit beteen the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl.

Guys that follow football here would an 18 game NFL regular season be too long?

No....the teams play every Sunday.They have the whole week to spend time with their family and friends so they shouldn't complain if the season went a little longer.

No....the teams play every Sunday.They have the whole week to spend time with their family and friends so they shouldn't complain if the season went a little longer.

Agreed. I do think the team rosters has to be expanded to 60 players if season is expanded to 18 games. In addition just like MLB has intra-city or region rivalries now ie Mets-Yanks, Cubs-White Sox, A's-Giants, etc. the NFL should do it also once a year from the other league.

For instance

Giants-Jets

Ravens-Redskins

49ers-Raiders

Pats-Eagles

Cowboys-Texans

Jaguars-Falcons

Bucs-Dolphins

Rams-Chiefs

Colts-Bears

Browns-Lions

Broncos-Cards

Panthers-Bengals

And rest would be based on old rivlaries

Seahawks-Chargers

Reactions from NYCTF NFL fans?

i think the dision winners will be nfc east eagles nfcsouth falcons nfcnorth packers nfcwestcardinals in the afceast patriots afcsouth titans afcnorth steelers afcwest chargers the wildcards will be from the nfc giants and packers and the afc wildcards will be the bills and colts and the super bowl will be patriots and falcons wit the patriots winning

i am a strong believer that the season should be extended to 18 games and a 19 weeks season i think the season at 16 games is too short and have to many meaningless pre season games u only need 2 pre season games and turned teh other two games into regular season games and the super bowl will occur presidents weekend a thrree day weekend for most no work that monday

i am a strong believer that the season should be extended to 18 games and a 19 weeks season i think the season at 16 games is too short and have to many meaningless pre season games u only need 2 pre season games and turned teh other two games into regular season games and the super bowl will occur presidents weekend a thrree day weekend for most no work that monday

The only people who might be upset at an 18-game NFL season may include the following:

1)The Hall of Fame pre season in Canton, Ohio. However Canton is near Cleveland and the Browns pre season game could be played there.

2)Cities/stadiums that host pre season ie San Antanio, Oklahoma City,

Mexico City, London, Montreal, etc.

3)College Football since they have in last 10-15 years or so had the First 2 weeks in September to themselves and only competation for national sports media coverage is the US Tennis Open and MLB Baseball.

Guest Charles

As a Bills fan, I think they may finally have enough to reach the playoffs this year...I hope...

I felt like :cry: when they started out 5-1 and ended up 7-9...:)

Let's go Buffalo! :cool:

As a Bills fan, I think they may finally have enough to reach the playoffs this year...I hope...

I felt like :cry: when they started out 5-1 and ended up 7-9...:)

Let's go Buffalo! :cool:

If he stays 'quiet' and out of trouble "TO" might be enough by himself for 1-2 more wins. However Owens is not the HOF-type player as he was in 2003-05 with the 49ers and Eagles. We shall see.

Guest Charles
If he stays 'quiet' and out of trouble "TO" might be enough by himself for 1-2 more wins. However Owens is not the HOF-type player as he was in 2003-05 with the 49ers and Eagles. We shall see.

True, Dallas kinda ruined him. TO, and true of Plaxico Burress as well, both fall into the group of talented and showy WRs who also tend to get in trouble...

charles as a big t.o fan he is good for 80 catches 1300 yards and 10+ touchdowns he is still an elite reciever and will make the bills exciting they will be 10-6 or 9-7 he will give u a 100 percent all the time congradualation us dallas or shall i say ex dallas fans miss him

True, Dallas kinda ruined him. TO, and true of Plaxico Burress as well, both fall into the group of talented and showy WRs who also tend to get in trouble...

Bills Owner Ralph Wilson like Jerry Jones signed him for media coverage and thus increased ticket sales. The Bills in recent years have lost ticket sales/fans at Wilson Stadium in Buffalo and thus reason they now play 1-2 regular season games at Rogers Center Skydome (home of the Blue Jays)in Toronto. The Bills playing in Western New York are now the smallest region with an NFL team. Green Bay was smaller but overtook Buffalo recently. People are leaving the Buffalo area due to factories closing and lack of jobs. If Ralph Wilson dies, the Bills might leave Buffalo.

Even with "TO", the Bills in a tough division i think w/ Super Bowl Contender Pats and playoff caliber type team with the Dolphins maybe finish 8-8 in best case scenrio.

Guest Charles
charles as a big t.o fan he is good for 80 catches 1300 yards and 10+ touchdowns he is still an elite reciever and will make the bills exciting they will be 10-6 or 9-7 he will give u a 100 percent all the time congradualation us dallas or shall i say ex dallas fans miss him

You a Bills fan?

Dallas screws a lot of people up. One of the cons of playing for a big market team, being in the spotlight all the time. Tony Romo anyone?

Archived