N.J. Scraps Use Of Subway Cars For Artificial Reefs

LRG

Shipping wouldn't be out of this world expensive, I'd estimate, a little over $1K (depends on distance). Lift it onto a flatbed truck and drive it to where-ever it's destination will be.

Yes it would. I volunteer alot of time up at BERA with Subwayguy and shipping is why it is hard to get subway cars or trolleys.

Stainless steel doesn't create a massive rusting hulk, it simply dissolves a few millimeters at a time. I think they should partly be scrapped & recycled, and partly used for FRA target practice.

- A

Stainless steel doesn't create a massive rusting hulk, it simply dissolves a few millimeters at a time. I think they should partly be scrapped & recycled, and partly used for FRA target practice.

- A

Yeah, they should start crash testing some mock trains with the R32s' stainless steel to at least lighten up the weight of the next generation trains.

Honestly, if I had the space (I.E. a large garage or backyard) and the money for it, I'd probably buy one if it were for sale. How much could a old subway car cost anyway? Not much. When R32's were bought, they paid $100,000 per car. After 45 years of use, I think they are worth a lot less. If they were for sale, I'd say they should be sold for ~$20,000. Thats the same amount as a basic Honda Accord, so most people could buy one.

I remember a post from Subchat around a year ago, that if you used the CPI calculator, $100K back in 1964 is about $750K in 2008 dollars.

These people are insane, whos bright idea was it to pollute the seas with old rotting steel is beyond me, they have been doing this for years with old automobiles. This does nothing but create a toxic rotting mess, the so called "reef" is not helping the sea its hurting it. This was a moronic idea to begin with. They should just be scrapping the steel and recycling it.

Asbestos has no effect underwater. That's why they're being allowed to do this.

They can't scrap the cars because of asbestos inside the cars. The cost of abating the asbestos would be more expensive than the scrap value of the car.

This is true but it helps the long-term economy. Steel prices were up 91% or so last year (read from a newspaper article).

Asbestos has no effect underwater. That's why they're being allowed to do this.

Yes and no. When it was first done, no one knew what the effects would be. However, abating of small pieces with asbestos is done underwater because it prevents the particles from becoming airborne. Studies have shown no obvious harmful effects since the redbirds were scrapped, so it's quite possible you m ight be right.

I remember a post from Subchat around a year ago, that if you used the CPI calculator, $100K back in 1964 is about $750K in 2008 dollars.

This is true but it helps the long-term economy. Steel prices were up 91% or so last year (read from a newspaper article).

MTA does not care about all that economic stuff. The only question they ask themselves is "will the costs outweigh the benefits, or vice versa" and regardless of what it does for the "long term economy" the scrap value of the car is < cost of abatement.

I think the MTA would sell a subway car for much more than a grand! I'm getting a laptop that costs that much! If anything, 5K the least, 10K the most. I can already see a large number of people lining up at the bank trying to secure a loan just for a subway car!!!

With all due respect, you are comparing apples and oranges. The cost of a Honda civic or a laptop has nothing to do with the cost of a subway car or its shipment to its destination. Clearly you have some learning to do in this area because this is something you either no or don't, you can't "reason" it out based on what other unrelated things cost. Your post was all over the place. It's fine, you're a kid, you're learning, whatever, people here aren't gonna judge you cuz you're young but I'm telling you the figures I gave you earlier in the thread will hold true. If you don't believe me you can try to find out for yourself, but it's a moot point anyway because if you call surplus material and ask them "what's the going rate for a slant" they're going to tell you the same thing they would tell you if you asked them to buy the 18th floor of 2 Broadway for a new lemonade stand. "NOT FOR SALE"

Shipping would be out of this world expensive, I'd estimate, a little over $100K (depends on distance). Lift it onto a flatbed truck and drive it to where-ever it's destination will be.

Fixed it for ya :P

Archived