Number of boats in Staten Island Ferry Fleet

MAA89

Sorry about putting this in the General Subway Forum, but there is no SI Ferry forum and the SIR forum has few active users.

Just wanted to know how many boats the Staten Island Ferry have in service. Wikipedia states nine, but only lists eight operating boats:

1) MV John F Kennedy

2) MV Andrew Barberi

3) MV Samuel Newhouse

4) MV Alice Austen

5) MV John A Noble

6) MV Guy Molinari

7) MV John J Marchi

8) MV Spirit of America

What is the ninth (if there is one)?

Also, how long are the current boats supposed to remain in service? Anyone know details about future boat designs/specifications?

If Wikipedia states nine and there are only eight in service, then one must be out of service since there was an incident that happened a couple of weeks ago.

No, that was the John J Marchi, which is listed. The Wikipedia page hasn't been updated for a while, except for the John J Marchi incident, and a note I left in the talk page regarding the number hasn't been responded to or acted upon.

Seems like the number of operational ferries is effectively seven, since the John F Kennedy is used mainly as a training vessel and as an emergency backup. I think the fleet should be expanded to about 10 boats in order to increase the number of hours that boats leave at 15 minute headways (instead of 20 or 30), though there are obvious problems of meeting operational costs with expanded service. The NYS Department of Transport is responsible for the ferry. I wonder if anyone knows about the DOT's plans for the ferry.

Also, is there any possibility of the ferry ever allowing automobiles onboard again?

I didn't know the SI ferry uses 9 boats, I thought it only used like 4 or 5 lol. Btw has anybody here ever rode the boat they use on the overnight runs? I heard its much smaller than the ones that operate during the day and it doesn't ride as smooth.

Aren't there plans to charge a ride on the ferry?

Staten Island threatened to secede from NYC if the ferry wasn't made free and the Fresh Kills landfill closed. I don't think it would be a politically expedient idea to start charging the ferry riders again. Most SI secession proposals included the idea of joining Staten Island to New Jersey, or forming a separate state altogether. NYC and NYS would lose an awful lot of state and local tax revenue as a result. I don't think the revenue lost from 2 million or so riders annually is important enough to bring back an old political issue.

I didn't know the SI ferry uses 9 boats, I thought it only used like 4 or 5 lol. Btw has anybody here ever rode the boat they use on the overnight runs? I heard its much smaller than the ones that operate during the day and it doesn't ride as smooth.

I haven't been on them, but I know they carry only 1280 passengers, compared to 4500-6000 on the other boats. Probably still runs mostly empty.

No, that was the John J Marchi, which is listed. The Wikipedia page hasn't been updated for a while, except for the John J Marchi incident, and a note I left in the talk page regarding the number hasn't been responded to or acted upon.

Seems like the number of operational ferries is effectively seven, since the John F Kennedy is used mainly as a training vessel and as an emergency backup. I think the fleet should be expanded to about 10 boats in order to increase the number of hours that boats leave at 15 minute headways (instead of 20 or 30), though there are obvious problems of meeting operational costs with expanded service. The NYS Department of Transport is responsible for the ferry. I wonder if anyone knows about the DOT's plans for the ferry.

Also, is there any possibility of the ferry ever allowing automobiles onboard again?

I rode the JFK 3 times in the last year. The most recent time, yesterday, there was a mechanical issue with one of the larger boats so it came in instead. To be honest, i much prefer the car capable ferries, they seem to ride much smoother, and be much more comfortable and spacious.

I would also like to see more boats, preferably with azi-pod propulsion and more views out both ends and the sides. Automatic gates with manual operation (crew member pushes button, if not work simply do it manually instead), and the ability to go up on top in limited areas would also be nice. Would also be neat if they had like a schedule of events, like when large ships like the QM2 are coming in or leaving, high tide, low tide etc, but i'd settle for better views & more efficient non-shaft azi-pods.

Staten Island threatened to secede from NYC if the ferry wasn't made free and the Fresh Kills landfill closed. I don't think it would be a politically expedient idea to start charging the ferry riders again. Most SI secession proposals included the idea of joining Staten Island to New Jersey, or forming a separate state altogether. NYC and NYS would lose an awful lot of state and local tax revenue as a result. I don't think the revenue lost from 2 million or so riders annually is important enough to bring back an old political issue.

I haven't been on them, but I know they carry only 1280 passengers, compared to 4500-6000 on the other boats. Probably still runs mostly empty.

Cars will likely never return as a regular feature, however future boats will likely retain car ferry design in case of emergencies, that added capacity (space) would mean people could bring luggage, or drive cars on if evacuation was needed in either direction. I believe the ferries are capable of docking over in hoboken as well, but i am unsure about that because the slipways may not be the exact fit.

I've been on standing room only trips both directions, but in general it's about half full most of the time from my experience.

As for a fare, no. Especially in light of (MTA) failing to meet fiscal responsibility and giving riders the tab for the difference...... One more straw on the back....

And as for staten island joining NJ, never ever ever ever going to happen ever ever ever, for many, many reasons.

- A

As a security measure I doubt ferries will ever allow cars on the boat again. It really blows because it saves drivers time by going from Manhattan to Staten Island instead of traveling via Brooklyn. I bet though if people pushed for it they may allow it again, but there will be a long line of cars waiting to get on the boat so it will get annoying if you have to wait an hour just to get on the boat. it could be a rush hour alternative, though, when boats run every 15 minutes.

I would also like to see more boats, preferably with azi-pod propulsion and more views out both ends and the sides. Automatic gates with manual operation (crew member pushes button, if not work simply do it manually instead), and the ability to go up on top in limited areas would also be nice. Would also be neat if they had like a schedule of events, like when large ships like the QM2 are coming in or leaving, high tide, low tide etc, but i'd settle for better views & more efficient non-shaft azi-pods.

Excuse my ignorance, but could you elaborate on what azi-pod propulsion is? How does it benefit the riders (faster speeds? smooth rides?)

Cars will likely never return as a regular feature, however future boats will likely retain car ferry design in case of emergencies, that added capacity (space) would mean people could bring luggage, or drive cars on if evacuation was needed in either direction.

The current car-capable ferries can only carry 40 vehicles, and would be rather inadequate if a large-scale evacuation is required, especially in Manhattan. I am sure ferries that won't normally transport automobiles would not be designed to carry hundreds of cars, as would be required in an evacuation. The ferry's role in an evacuation will probably be best limited to moving people in large numbers.

I've been on standing room only trips both directions, but in general it's about half full most of the time from my experience.

I usually take the ferry on Saturdays as I go to Staten Island to play cricket at Walker Park. Usually I get the Marchi, Molinari or Spirit of America. The boats are almost entirely empty inside: the only passengers are tourists taking pictures from the viewing decks. In the evenings, the seating space is full of homeless people sleeping. I am pretty certain that the late night ferries run close to empty as well. Perhaps they should buy more boats with smaller capacity than running large boats near-empty.

I did once go to Staten Island during PM rush hour on a Friday, but found the cabin far from full.

As for a fare, no. Especially in light of (MTA) failing to meet fiscal responsibility and giving riders the tab for the difference...... One more straw on the back....

Obviously. The (MTA) can't charge a fare since the ferry is run by the NYS DOT. Even when there was a fare, the farebox recovery ratio fell well short of sufficient (I think it cost a dollar per passenger each way, while the round-trip fare was 50 cents). It makes little sense to impose a fare, especially with the low ridership on weekends and late nights.

And as for staten island joining NJ, never ever ever ever going to happen ever ever ever, for many, many reasons.

Again, excuse my ignorance. I've only been in the US since 2007 and in New York since June 2008. Obviously have a lot to learn. SI joining NJ was only hearsay, anyway.

I also heard my friend who work at Staten Island Zoo that rumor want to charge 25 cent to tourists only.

I don't want that to happened either. Staten Island Ferry remain free for everybody.

As a security measure I doubt ferries will ever allow cars on the boat again. It really blows because it saves drivers time by going from Manhattan to Staten Island instead of traveling via Brooklyn. I bet though if people pushed for it they may allow it again, but there will be a long line of cars waiting to get on the boat so it will get annoying if you have to wait an hour just to get on the boat. it could be a rush hour alternative, though, when boats run every 15 minutes.

I agree.

Little off-topic.

When I took ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, ferry was crowded with cars mostly. When ferry dock at Bridgeport, they have to take cars out, but due to crowded deck, it took about ten-fifteen minutes, then finally twenty minutes for foot passengers.

They are replacing the 2 NJ-NY bridges sometime soon, bayonne bridge probably second due to the possible impact on shipping traffic, but once those are rebuilt you could go that way instead via tunnel.

- A

Kennedy Class

MV John F Kennedy

Barberi Class

MV Andrew Barberi

MV Samuel Newhouse

Austen Class

MV Alice Austen

MV John A Noble

Molinari Class

MV Guy Molinari

MV John J Marchi

MV Spirit of America

The nineth one was probably the Herbert H. Lehman which was also a Kennedy Class. it was one of the most recently retired boats with the arrival of the Molinari Class in 04. The Kennedy itself is primarily used for rush-hours, Training and as a replacement. The Austen Class you'll see for overnight service due to their small size.

The Molinari Class was designed to hold 40 cars each incase the DOT desides to allow cars to return in the future.

The JFK is the only other boat that can accomodate cars.

Lots of info can be found on the NYCDOT and SIFerry websites.

Kennedy Class

MV John F Kennedy

Barberi Class

MV Andrew Barberi

MV Samuel Newhouse

Austen Class

MV Alice Austen

MV John A Noble

Molinari Class

MV Guy Molinari

MV John J Marchi

MV Spirit of America

The nineth one was probably the Herbert H. Lehman which was also a Kennedy Class. it was one of the most recently retired boats with the arrival of the Molinari Class in 04. The Kennedy itself is primarily used for rush-hours, Training and as a replacement. The Austen Class you'll see for overnight service due to their small size.

The Molinari Class was designed to hold 40 cars each incase the DOT desides to allow cars to return in the future.

The JFK is the only other boat that can accomodate cars.

Lots of info can be found on the NYCDOT and SIFerry websites.

Thanks.

Archived