The Trolley makes a comeback

MTARegional Bus

All RIGHT!!! Didn't know WHAT was going on with this these days! Thought it was totally dead, and we would eventually hear news about the cars and everything else done soon to be removed.

2.gif4.gif

I hope Diamond doesn't blow it this time; whatever happened last time.

Perhaps dealing with Bloomberg instead of Giuliani will make it easier to happen!

I see they have one in there that is all fixed up already! That and the ones out on the water front are Boston cars, right?

(I like how they redid the windows that there is one large pane to two standee tubules. Evokes the fishbowl setup. Also, the light green fiberglass seats. It these cars had used the redone front like some others did, we could say this was a new look PCC! -PCC's normally being old-look style)

Heritage cars by the waterfront is becoming very popular these days. Sounds akin to the Embacadero streetcar and the Waterfront Streetcar (or SF and Seattle, respectively). Even Vancouver is doing something similar.

I really want to see it, but I'm sure that a non-MTA entity will run it.

You know, most of the old tracks are still there, just paved over. Even my town has paved over tracks, it's pretty crazy actually, both the amount of trackage & the intactness of most of it. You could start a wildfire of streetcar rebirth across the country if the right people got behind it. Just sitting there waiting to be used again....

- A

You guys remember the Atlantic Avenue tunnel?

Bob Diamond wants to run heritage streetcars through it!

I remember that quite well, as I live a few blocks away from Atlantic. I went on one of the public tours back in the 1990s, and we entered through the infamous manhole at Court and Atlantic. I didn't have a camera, though... :D

I notice that Mr. Diamond doesn't mention where the tunnel portals will be located, as the original ones were removed long ago. There's no good way that they can be rebuilt without seriously disrupting traffic on Atlantic Avenue.

I would rather see the Atlantic Avenue tunnel kept as is (possibly opened for tours again) and the heritage streetcar line connecting Red Hook and DUMBO via the waterfront, to serve the new Brooklyn Bridge Park and improve transit service to Red Hook as well.

This is all assuming that the study proves the project to be feasible and that funding is secured as well. I hope Mr. Diamond doesn't ruin it again either.

I knew he was involved with the Atlantic tunnel project, but didn't remember hearing about him running the trolleys through it.

Wouldn't that be nice as well?

I imagine the portal would be somewhere over where the surface tracks are, near the piers. On Atlantic on the other side of the BQE, it is probably more desolate, so it should not be too disruptive. (How close does that tunnel go to the piers?)

It would be nice if the light rail could link the Brooklyn cruise ship terminal with the LIRR Brooklyn Terminal. Perhaps they could remove a couple of seats to have a place for luggage racks?

HBLR has a very large seatless area vs seat area for strollers & luggage, it works quite well even with the smaller LRV's it uses.

- A

Yes, well too bad they don't run a short branch into Cape Liberty to run specials when there are cruise ship operations from there.

There is a plan to do this with the PCC cars i believe.

- A

Archived