Hurricane Bill forces city to close beaches in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island

Harry

The city is closing beaches in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island on Friday because of fears that Hurricane Bill will pound the shores with dangerous surf.

No one will be allowed to enter the waters off of Rockaway Beach, Coney Island Beach, Manhattan Beach, South Beach, Midland Beach and Wolfe's Pond Beach, officials said.

"As weather conditions are changing quickly, it is essential that people not enter the water at closed beaches," Parks Department Commissioner Adrian Benepe said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/21/2009-08-21_hurricane_bill_forces_city_to_close_beaches_in_queens_brooklyn_and_staten_island.html#ixzz0S3sPGOPV

post-1-133288580738_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580738_thumb.jpg

I've been in yellow flag surf before, a tropical storm was 700 miles off the NC coast, the waves were thick and powerful, not even that tall, you could see the foam flowing out into rip currents, so we stayed away from those areas & had one person on the beach looking out at all times, and we stayed right near a coast guard post.

You guys should do a SIR + SIF + exchange place + coney island beach pier railfan trip. I just wish i could go up and ride the SIF in teh wavez.

The long island sound isn't affected because the waves are coming from the south/east. For waves to affect the LIS, the storm would have to be near nova scotia/newfoundland.

- A

Archived