Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Hurricane Bill forces city to close beaches in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island

The city is closing beaches in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island on Friday because of fears that Hurricane Bill will pound the shores with dangerous surf.

No one will be allowed to enter the waters off of Rockaway Beach, Coney Island Beach, Manhattan Beach, South Beach, Midland Beach and Wolfe's Pond Beach, officials said.

"As weather conditions are changing quickly, it is essential that people not enter the water at closed beaches," Parks Department Commissioner Adrian Benepe said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/21/2009-08-21_hurricane_bill_forces_city_to_close_beaches_in_queens_brooklyn_and_staten_island.html#ixzz0S3sPGOPV

post-1-133288580738_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580738_thumb.jpg

I hear from the weather channel as of 5pm tonight that Bermunda and to certain aspect eastern canada(ie states of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland) are the most at risk for possible hit from Bill.

Hurricane Bill? Ok who pissed off the Clintons?? >_<

j/k

This i have to see for myself. We have been lucky in the way of major storms lately.

Is it coming to NYC?

No. But the hurricane will indirectly cause the movement of ocean waves around New York to be more violent, which is why the beaches are closed to swimming.

I've been in yellow flag surf before, a tropical storm was 700 miles off the NC coast, the waves were thick and powerful, not even that tall, you could see the foam flowing out into rip currents, so we stayed away from those areas & had one person on the beach looking out at all times, and we stayed right near a coast guard post.

You guys should do a SIR + SIF + exchange place + coney island beach pier railfan trip. I just wish i could go up and ride the SIF in teh wavez.

The long island sound isn't affected because the waves are coming from the south/east. For waves to affect the LIS, the storm would have to be near nova scotia/newfoundland.

- A

Looks like another washout weekend as i may go to the movies tonight:(. :oMy concern now is hope labor day weekend to be great w/ plans to both visit a friend in Boston & my brother in South Jersey/Philly area.