L Train stalls under river during rush hour

Trainspotter

L Train stalls under river during rush hour

By Jefferson Siegel and Lizzy Nielsen | Special to amNewYork, amNY.com

December 7, 2007

34141138.jpg

After being stranded on a Brooklyn-bound L train under the East River for almost 2 hours,

passengers exit a rescue train that returned them to the First Avenue station.

(Jefferson Siegel)

A Brooklyn-bound L train stalled under the East River during Thursday night's rush hour because of a mechanical failure, the MTA said.

A rescue train was sent on the Brooklyn-bound track and returned, filled, just after 8 p.m. to the First Avenue station.

The MTA said that the train failed near the First Avenue stop in Manhattan. Passengers said that they were stuck for two hours. Most appeared calm but frustrated about the turn of events.

"It was comfortable, calm, quiet," said Upper West Side resident Jamie Garde. Garde was on her way to a meeting but, upon arriving back at First Avenue, decided to go home.

Brian Morano of Ridgewood exited the rescue train with his wife and their 14-month-old child in a stroller. "We were joking and listening to music," Moreno said of the time underground.

Several passengers said that four men exited the stalled train, intending to walk through the tunnel to the next station. They said two men soon returned to the train, saying it was too far to walk. The other two men apparently kept going.

A rescue train pulled up to the stalled train and passengers were transferred.

The intersection of 14th Street and First Avenue was filled with emergency service vehicles. Crosstown 14th St.reet buses filled up fast as passengers were directed to them

As of 9:30 p.m., service has returned to normal on the L, but passengers should expect some delays.

The MTA said the matter was under investigation.

Pefect example of the Japanese Piece of shit R143s shitting out already. Expect to hear more of this. I'm already seeing so many dead motors on the R143s its not even funny.

And um, what are Americans currently doing? Who are Americans turning to for trains mainly?

See, gotta understand, things don't always work out with the MTA. Many other agencies are just find with the tech they have. And if it was an R160A, then its not the Japanese, that would be the French my friends.

As for the train getting stuck thing, that must be like the uber-suck. Now, I would be pissed to high hell if I don't have an MP3 player with me to wait it out (gotta remind myself get a new battery for PSP).

And um, what are Americans currently doing? Who are Americans turning to for trains mainly?

See, gotta understand, things don't always work out with the MTA. Many other agencies are just find with the tech they have. And if it was an R160A, then its not the Japanese, that would be the French my friends.

As for the train getting stuck thing, that must be like the uber-suck. Now, I would be pissed to high hell if I don't have an MP3 player with me to wait it out (gotta remind myself get a new battery for PSP).

You think I don't know that Alstom is a french company?

Just to be clear we don't know if it was a R143/R160. However Kawasaki been doing better then any other car company with the New Tech trains. The Wost is Bombardier. Those trains are bunch of loose nuts rolling down the train ready to come apart at any time.
The New Tech Trains are Garbage. I'm not sure if you like them or not, but I have not met one T/O that likes the "New Tech Trains". Kawasaki is the worst. I'm seeing so many dead motors on the 143s, its horrible, but not a surprise at all to me. The French and the Japps do not know how to build or use as good quality parts as American Car companys and train companys do. Ask a good RCI what he thinks are more reliable in terms of parts, and trains altogether. An American company, or the japps/French. And I bet all my money that it was a R143.

The New Tech Trains are Garbage. I'm not sure if you like them or not, but I have not met one T/O that likes the "New Tech Trains". Kawasaki is the worst. I'm seeing so many dead motors on the 143s, its horrible, but not a surprise at all to me. The French and the Japps do not know how to build or use as good quality parts as American Car companys and train companys do. Ask a good RCI what he thinks are more reliable in terms of parts, and trains altogether. An American company, or the japps/French. And I bet all my money that it was a R143.

Kawasaki is not the worst dammit. How many times and how many ppl have to tell you that. Kawasaki builds trains to perform and they have proven themselves to do that. Now, in the case of the R143, its just a matter of the MTA keeping up maintance with them.

For the 1000000000 time, Kawasaki and Bombardier has a track record of great rail car building. The R68A, R142A, R143, R160B, R142, M7(A), R62, R62A and C3 have all have been proven to be good cars. The Bombardier M7s are performing better than the DM30s and DE30s (which were made by the defunct EMD division of General Motors). The R68 and R68A are performing better than all other cars in the B Division, and the R62, R62A, R142, R142A are all performing well and are giving a good service to the A division. Why do you have such a venom for Kawasaki and Bombardier?

In all fairness I have not operate much of the new Equipment but next pick I'm on the L Line. However the few time I did I was loving it. The train takes off and stops on a dime. On the J/Z Lines the T/O's be fighting over to operate that Z R160. He hate seeing it getting lay up after the Rush Hours and if we had our way the R42 be scrapped already replaced by R160's. The ONLY thing T/O's hate about Tech trains is every action you do is being recorded into the Trains Event recorder.

Archived