TWU: Arbitrated transit raises must stand

Harry

Annual 4% raises for transit workers are "just and reasonable" and the MTA should be ordered to pay up, union lawyers argued Tuesday.

The pay hikes, part of a contract that an arbitration panel awarded in August, are in line with what the city in recent years has granted municipal workers "who live in the same communities and work shoulder to shoulder with transit workers in serving the same public," transit union lawyers wrote in papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court.

Subway and bus workers here have higher living costs than their counterparts in other cities. And they toil shifts around the clock, the document points out, claiming the arbitration panel fulfilled its obligation under state law to render a "just and reasonable" decision.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/10/21/2009-10-21_arbitrated_transit_raises_must_stand_twu_argues.html#ixzz0UZbPHYN9

post-1-133288581092_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581092_thumb.jpg

according to the twu website, they're having another "day of outrage" rally next Wednesday over the Brooklyn Bridge. man, i cant wait to be in a real union with rallies and strikes and the big Rat at the rallies. mail handlers are treated like garbage too and our union doesnt do anything :(

today's union isn't as powerful as they once were. Back in the days the union pretty much ran the company. Now, the unions just keep losing ground with each passing year.

That's just the way businesses and the so called "elite" want it...

Until I work for TA, I am nonunion and let me tell you all those good things you take for granted just aren't there. You can be summoned to work for anything, anywhere. They can tell me tomorrow you're going to Wisconsin for 2 months we'll fly you home on the weekends. No overtime differential, not even straight time for my overtime because it's salary and I get paid the same whether I work 1 hour or 100.

No set duties they can send you to do whatever they want..they can say "hey mail this for me" or "hey get those boxes shipped" or "hey do this impossible task on the computer" nothing I can do about it..."hey go do this special project"

No paid lunch, lunch doesn't even count as time, so If I'm unassigned (the equivalent of you guys sitting on the board) I have all these ridiculous things I gotta do like tell them what I'm gonna do with every second even though we all know it's BS and the answer is "nothing, unless something comes up" and to top it off that means I work 45 hours a week minimum b/c lunch isn't counted as time worked, and I am required to take a 1 hrs lunch when I'm unassigned. It also pops up once or twice a year vacation days that we are FORCED to use because the place closes down but they can't just give us the day got to burn vacation time...

AND I'm underpaid for the time and amount of the work done. I'll still be taking a pay CUT to go to TA but I don't care. It's not about the money. There is BS everywhere might as well do something I'll like with some control over what I do, where I go, and where I have to be (at least as a TA employee you know you'll be working in NYC and when you get seniority you pick, I know someone at my current job who has 10+ years and they made him uproot his whole family and live in a different city I mean come on...). I've seen the world without unions and it is a scary world just like back in the industrial revolution without unions, you have long work weeks, no pay, management that doesn't care, only this time instead of factories its offices...same damn thing repeating itself over again because people don't learn from history.

And the sad part is the people I work with think they got it good "because they don't have a union job where they have to get their girly hands dirty" when they work 4 months of 60-70 hour work weeks and pocket the same amount a rookie T/O makes AS BASE without overtime.

Archived