PATH crash at 33rd St

Grand Concourse

http://www.1010wins.com/At-Least-14-Hurt-In-PATH-Crash/5488934

A PATH train has struck a bumper block at the Herald Square station in Manhattan, resulting in reports of at least 10 minor injuries.

Port Authority spokeswoman Jen Friedberg said Wednesday the 7:59 a.m. train out of Hoboken, N.J., struck the bumper as it arrived at about 8:15 a.m. in Manhattan.

A total of 14 people were injured in the crash -- seven were taken to area hospitals -- and the seven others were treated at the scene, according to EMS officials.

Friedberg said officials didn't know whether those injured were among the train crew or passengers.

Friedberg said service was running normally -- however commuters should expect PATH service delays to build.

West 33rd Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues was temporarily closed to traffic due to the crash -- it has since reopened.

Just shows accidents can happen anywhere including Path. Hopefully the injuries were not too serious.

Actually since the station moved a block south to accommodate a wide berth for the broadway IND lines, it has been the subject of several bumper tappings. The signal system was never fully reconfigured, so you have a short block pulling into the station, which sometimes gives you more speed than you should have pulling in out of the tunnel into the platform area. That being said there is still plenty of warning to slow pulling in, so it was likely human error, no one's perfect. I've ridden PA-5 cars several times, and they have never had an issue with braking. Also, the PA-5's for some reason seem a little more solidly built than the stuff for (NYCT). T/O probably misjudged the stopping power vs distance & speed, or wasnt paying attention.

- A

This is definitely an NTT epic FAIL! X-D

Come up with a good post before you start talking about s**t about cars you barely know about. NTT fail my ass

This was most likely human error, as the PA-5 has more solid built brakes than our R160s. PATH operators are mostly wreckless when it comes to their trains, some being more careful than most. My theory is that the operator didnt pay attention and hit the brake late.....

Actually since the station moved a block south to accommodate a wide berth for the broadway IND lines, it has been the subject of several bumper tappings. The signal system was never fully reconfigured, so you have a short block pulling into the station, which sometimes gives you more speed than you should have pulling in out of the tunnel into the platform area. That being said there is still plenty of warning to slow pulling in, so it was likely human error, no one's perfect. I've ridden PA-5 cars several times, and they have never had an issue with braking. Also, the PA-5's for some reason seem a little more solidly built than the stuff for (NYCT). T/O probably misjudged the stopping power vs distance & speed, or wasnt paying attention.

- A

IAWTP 100%

This was most likely human error, as the PA-5 has more solid built brakes than our R160s. PATH operators are mostly wreckless when it comes to their trains, some being more careful than most. My theory is that the operator didnt pay attention and hit the brake late.....

The operator might not have also been accustomed to driving the PA-5 yet also. Not sure.

Come up with a good post before you start talking about s**t about cars you barely know about. NTT fail my ass

No need to be hostile here dude! I know that the technology of the NTTs most likely had nothing to do with the train failing, although it could have been; either that or human error.

No need to be hostile here dude! I know that the technology of the NTTs most likely had nothing to do with the train failing, although it could have been; either that or human error.

Oh trust & believe I'm not being hostile, I was just making a point.

Oh trust & believe I'm not hostile, I was just making a point.

You're right. I'll make sure not to jump to conclusions in the future, OK? Besides, from what I'm hearing, it had nothing to do with the train failing on the motorman, but that's all I will say. I do not know the exact story behind the issue as it is under investigation.

But you didn't sound like you were joking at all...

I can be very meticulous with the posts that I make. If you knew me better you would understand.

As heard on the voice recorder....

400 Feet

*driver sleeping*

300 Feet

*still dozing off...*

200 Feet

*Zzzzzzzz*

100 Feet

*back into consciousness*

50 feet

Driver: OH SHI---

*Boom* :o

Nah. I think he may have misjudged the distance.....was it fast enough of a speed where emergency brakes couldn't help?

Nah. I think he may have misjudged the distance.....was it fast enough of a speed where emergency brakes couldn't help?

There are timers & brake trips. I think he may have accidently accelerated into the last block.

- A

Archived