Those who passed Bus Operator Exam #8006

Igor Gaysinsky

well i still got an ok list number from mabstoa 2901 1,894 list number wow this snow was bad and i drove in it last night my friend chris had to to get his quad because his older brother took it to his girlfriends house well i was going 25 mph at the most but i made it back safe hey i did see lots of accedents i did see a bus break down thank good i did not crash i was sliping and sliding on my suv i got the 4 x 4

Thanks everyone for the input, it is very helpful. I will be continuing with my classes at college in January, and I will work on getting my CDL permit now in the window between semesters. As far as getting the actual CDL while the snows are out, I may wait till the roads clear up a bit. However, I would like to get my CDL before I get called to the Bronx as I read in the forum that those who already have the CDL have a much higher pass rate at Zaranga, than does who don't. If I already have the CDL I can focus on learning the MTA way, and not divide my attention between the MTA way and the DMV way.

Thank you all for your helpful input. Marry Christmas, Happy New Year, and happy holidays to all. :)

Thanks everyone for the input, it is very helpful. I will be continuing with my classes at college in January, and I will work on getting my CDL permit now in the window between semesters. As far as getting the actual CDL while the snows are out, I may wait till the roads clear up a bit. However, I would like to get my CDL before I get called to the Bronx as I read in the forum that those who already have the CDL have a much higher pass rate at Zaranga, than does who don't. If I already have the CDL I can focus on learning the MTA way, and not divide my attention between the MTA way and the DMV way.

Thank you all for your helpful input. Marry Christmas, Happy New Year, and happy holidays to all. :)

You may be the most educated out of all the 8006 list members but it is called Zerega, Zaranga is a village in Africa.

Now about the CDL, you will train on a school bus which is a different animal then a transit bus when it comes to making turns. All it really means is that you have one less obstacle to overcome. The MTA prefers CDL permit holders because they haven't picked up any bad habits.

I would suggest getting your CDL before the summer, because that is the busy season, much longer wait for a road test appointment.

To obtain your CDL B Permit you have to pass General Knowledge, Air brakes and Passenger written tests at the DMV.

You may be the most educated out of all the 8006 list members but it is called Zerega, Zaranga is a village in Africa.

Great, I was worried I'd need my passport. :P

Now about the CDL, you will train on a school bus which is a different animal then a transit bus when it comes to making turns. All it really means is that you have one less obstacle to overcome. The MTA prefers CDL permit holders because they haven't picked up any bad habits.

I would suggest getting your CDL before the summer, because that is the busy season, much longer wait for a road test appointment.

To obtain your CDL B Permit you have to pass General Knowledge, Air brakes and Passenger written tests at the DMV.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Hey Loco and Olegkha! how r u guys doing? Question guys is a passport is required for employment with transit? I was born in USA, and a birth certificate is proof that I'm a US citizen.

Hey Loco and Olegkha! how r u guys doing? Question guys is a passport is required for employment with transit? I was born in USA, and a birth certificate is proof that I'm a US citizen.

They don't ask you for your passport. Social Security card, Drivers license, birth certificate should be enough I think. You just reminded me that my passport comes up for renewal next year, even though I don't travel outside the country it is still a good piece of ID.

They don't ask you for your passport. Social Security card, Drivers license, birth certificate should be enough I think. You just reminded me that my passport comes up for renewal next year, even though I don't travel outside the country it is still a good piece of ID.

Thanks Loco! I need to do the same too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys Happy New Year to all! I did called DCAS this afternoon, and just got a recording since today is Saturday. There up to 191 at this point. It's going to be a good while if I ever hear from them, but it the mean time I can't sit around waiting...I'm getting off me butt and looking around for a better paying job. I can't depend on these jobs from the city, because who knows if I will ever get called. This year I am going to make the best of it. If I find a better job hopefully I won't need to depend on these city jobs ever again. I can still get something better with my self if God willing... I should have tried to listen to my twin brother a long time ago, because he's doing great where he's at. He's been work for the city for 9 years starting out as a TLC Inspector from 2000-2003, DOT parking control from 2003-2007, and NYC Dept. Of Correction from 2007-Present. He told me he only has to do 20 years with NYDC for him to retire, because 7 years from his prior city jobs carries over when he retires total of a 27 year pension. Back them I didn't want to pay for exams due to the fact they didn't refund your money if you fail the exam. I should have tried to take many exams as possible back them when the opportunities were there for me. I hate to say it I waited to long until I decide to obtain my CDL class B license, and pay for my first exam for B/O. If they ever call me I’ll give it a shot when that time happens...B):confused:

Hey guys Happy New Year to all! I did called DCAS this afternoon, and just got a recording since today is Saturday. There up to 191 at this point. It's going to be a good while if I ever hear from them, but it the mean time I can't sit around waiting...I'm getting off me butt and looking around for a better paying job. I can't depend on these jobs from the city, because who knows if I will ever get called. This year I am going to make the best of it. If I find a better job hopefully I won't need to depend on these city jobs ever again. I can still get something better with my self if God willing... I should have tried to listen to my twin brother a long time ago, because he's doing great where he's at. He's been work for the city for 9 years starting out as a TLC Inspector from 2000-2003, DOT parking control from 2003-2007, and NYC Dept. Of Correction from 2007-Present. He told me he only has to do 20 years with NYDC for him to retire, because 7 years from his prior city jobs carries over when he retires total of a 27 year pension. Back them I didn't want to pay for exams due to the fact they didn't refund your money if you fail the exam. I should have tried to take many exams as possible back them when the opportunities were there for me. I hate to say it I waited to long until I decide to obtain my CDL class B license, and pay for my first exam for B/O. If they ever call me I’ll give it a shot when that time happens...B):confused:
Time from other city jobs does not carry over into the MTA. My 6 years with the Department of Education won't put a dent into the years I would need to retire with full pension with the MTA.

Time from other city jobs does not carry over into the MTA. My 6 years with the Department of Education won't put a dent into the years I would need to retire with full pension with the MTA.

You sure about that ???

Dude in my training bus had 5 years or so from Department of Parks, and i believe it did carry over ( or am i wrong ? )

You sure about that ???

Dude in my training bus had 5 years or so from Department of Parks, and i believe it did carry over ( or am i wrong ? )

From what I remember asking here before, it doesn't carry over. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Edit: Found the post.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=66351&postcount=2

NO. The MTA isn't a city agency they don't even accept years of service from any other agencies.

If you had say 5 years as a sanitation worker and then became a cop you would only have to work 15 years as a cop to retire with full pension. They accept the time from the other agency. The MTA does not. Even if you go from TA to LIRR both MTA the time served doesn't count towards retirement.

It carries over on the back end I have to do 25 for a 50 % pension but my other years add on at a like 1.5 % ea year additional.

My brother told me that it carries over when you retire from the agency that you worked for. Like I said he worked for 2 prior city agency before going into Corrections. He even showed it to me himself one day, but he's not to sure how transit works because they get paid by the state.

Jah is only partially right. What is true is that pensions between the NYCTA and LIRR, MNCR, or any other FRA railroad, do not carry over because they have different pension schemes and different rules.

Time from Corrections, NYPD, DOE, etc. does indeed carry over into the NYCTA. It has nothing to do with the agency you work for and everything to do with whether or not the agency you work for is a member of NYCERS, and whether or not you were a pension member with that prior agency. Time with other city agencies involving NYCERS pensions does carryover when you reach retirement age; HOWEVER, you must be a prior vested member in order to take advantage of the higher pension payout. If you failed to vest and your contributions were refunded to you, then your prior time is not counted and you start again at zero.

IIRC you still have to do the required time (with the TA: 25 years/55 age), but your total pension will reflect all time accrued. Your prior vested contributions don't just vanish into thin air.

IIRC you still have to do the required time (with the TA: 25 years/55 age), but your total pension will reflect all time accrued. Your prior vested contributions don't just vanish into thin air.

When I said the time doesn't carry over I was correct it doesn't. If you do 7 years as a cop and then transfer to sanitation you can retire from sanitation in ONLY 13 years.

If you do 7 years as a cop and you transfer to the TA you must do a full 25 years with the TA to qualify for a full pension. Then yes your pension if your prior agency was NYCER's will be for 32 years of service. The point is that the time doesn't carry over with the TA.

There are 2 seperate issues that are being molded into 1 in this thread.

If you do 7 years as a cop and you transfer to the TA you must do a full 25 years with the TA to qualify for a full pension. Then yes your pension if your prior agency was NYCER's will be for 32 years of service. The point is that the time doesn't carry over with the TA.

Even if you don't do the full 25 years with the TA, but you have at least 25 years cumulative service, you'll still get a full monetary pension, but you'll have to retire at 62 to get it.

Well if I wait til 62 to retire I will have 41 years service so I'm not too concerned what the requirements are. Alas 25 years is a long time to have to start today,luckily I will have 23 complete at the end of this month,only 18 to go. E-gads!! Just over half way finished.

Archived