Current PATH Service

EE Broadway Local

Retire the PA1-3 now, stop idling at stations in the middle of the route forever, tunnel to GCT via 7th/6th ave & turn at tsq, clean all stations, and do a litter detail on the ROW, run every 5 minutes off peak, 3 peak, no weakarse weekend or mid day schedule, put an xmas tree in the 2 lower tubes, trash cans, more seating, 10 car trains on the red line, then the blue & green lines as funding can be comitted to lengthening "tube" stations grove st, christo, 9th, 14th & 23rd, replace all rails with new, run to EWR..........

I could be typing for a very long time...

I could settle for 100% clean stations/cars/ROW & 10 car trains, and a $1.50 fare.

- A

What are your thoughts and opinions on current PATH service and would you like to see any improvments to PATH?

Metsfan that hunreds of millions used to bulid an extension to/from gct is not needed. it should be used instead imo to extend the newark-wtc line to newark aiport. a 'free' metrocard transfer to the nyc subway is cheaper and makes more sense. also during weekday middays on times i ride pn path other than lunch times i seen 'empty' seast. just metsfan wishing every money can be used on mass transit. other suggestions.

1)run all '4' path lines at least on saturdays from at least 8am-9pm.

2)extend the 33rd street-journal sq line to Newark late nights giving riders service every 15 minutes between newark and grove street.

3)create improved ada access for the diabled and those in wheelchairs at the 14th Street, 9th street and chrispother stations.

4)create a 'free metrocard transfer' between path and nyc subways at all Manhattan stations.

5)extend the newport centre mall indoor walkway to connect direct at the pavonia-newport station & thus avoid crossing street of the busy washington st.

just my takes.

Yea, ADA stuff really is needed, and the walkway, good idea! As far as transfers, that's a political nightmare, as the PA is a private government agency, and the mta is a public chartered entity. Running to Newark intl would cost very little, since there is existing easments and ROW they can run on, but GCT would allow a 2 seat ride to/from gct and the airport, a win-win situation for MTA and PA due to fares from increased usage from better connectivity.

- A

Have you seen this page - http://www.panynj.gov/path/systemwide-upgrades.html ?

At the top, one of the images is a rendition of what appears to be a nice looking new Harrison Station (it is a new Harrison Station - there is more information plus another rendition under the Station Moderization link on the left); then under the Capacity link, there is mention of ten car trains for at least the Newark-World Trade Center line.

Yea, ADA stuff really is needed, and the walkway, good idea! As far as transfers, that's a political nightmare, as the PA is a private government agency, and the mta is a public chartered entity. Running to Newark intl would cost very little, since there is existing easments and ROW they can run on, but GCT would allow a 2 seat ride to/from gct and the airport, a win-win situation for MTA and PA due to fares from increased usage from better connectivity.

- A

i feel that a walkway extension at pavoina-newport station would also be helpful in rainy, snowy or cold days as well. its amazing i feel that has not been more accidents at washington st crossing from the train station to the mall walkway enterence.

also i do expect the pa to renovate the harrison, nj path station since the red bulls MLS soccer team will open a new stadium next spring in time for the 2010 season.

WARNING, this is really a fantasy:

extend system majorly:

1:

extend south to ERW (with station directly adjacent to terminals).

1A:

extend from 33rd to 42nd port authority bus terminal

2:

extend southeast from WTC to bowling green, then branch off into:

3:

northern line to 42nd street along third ave.

4:

other branch crosses east river and follows undetermined path to JFK (most likely howard beach, or even to station directly under terminals).

5:

northern branch splits at 86st street:

6:

branch 5A to yankee stadium.

7:

branch 5B to La Guardia.

Fleet:

total: ~800 PA-5's and save PA-4s for work service and intermittent fan trips and revenue service.

Stations on yankee stadium branch would include:

WTC (existent) with access to fulton street transit center

bowling green transfer to the 4 and5, jfk branch splits here

wall street at pearl street

fulton street at water street with access to fulton street transit center

Chatham sq chinatown with tranfer to (T) second ave line

bowery station with transfer to J, M, Z

Houston street with transfer to F and V at second ave.

14th street with L

23rd

34th

42nd with tranfer to (4)(5)(6)(7)(S)(T),

53rd with transfer to (6)(E)(V)

61th with transfer to (4)(5)(6)(F)(N)(R)(W)

86th with transfer to 4, 5, 6 and La Guardia branch

99th

106th

116th with 6

125th with 456

149th grand concourse with 245

Yankee Stadium with 4, B, D

Stations on JFK would include:

Bowling green (4)(5) split with yankee branch

Borough Hall at Adams Street with transfer to (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(F)(M)(R)

Atlantic-Pacific st transfer to (2)(3)(4)(5)(:P(D)(G)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W) and LIRR

Grand Army Plaza (2)(3)(4)(5)(:)(Q)

Prospect Park (B)(Q)(S)

Kingston Ave and Albany Ave

Utica Ave and Clarkson Ave

Kings Highway and Linden BLVD

Rockaway Ave and Linden BLVD

105th L

Pennsylvania Ave and Flatbush Ave

Fountain Ave and Flatbush Ave

Cross Bay BLVD and 157th ave

Howard Beach JFK with A

JFK Terminal 4

La Guardia Branch:

86th with 4, (5), 6 and yankee branch

21st and Ditmars BLVD

Astoria and Ditmars NW

Stienway st and Ditmars BLVD

Hazen and Ditmars BLVD

La Guardia Airport Center Terminal

For visual location of all these stations in reference to existing subway stations, go here (you will have to find other PATH stations that are not near subway stations though): http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=43+Macdonough+St,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11216&ll=40.722803,-73.925629&spn=0.174071,0.271225&z=12&lci=transit

My plan for PATH:

Extend to EWR, free transfer to Airtrain

Underground passageway to NYP

Integral smartcard system with NYCT (when NYCT develops its own system), allowing free transfers

Weekday:

33-EWR

33-HOB

WTC-HOB

WTC-JSQ

Weekend:

33-EWR

33-HOB

WTC-JSQ

Late night:

33-EWR via HOB (every 20 min.)

WTC-JSQ (every 45 min.)

My plan for PATH:

Extend to EWR, free transfer to Airtrain

Weekday:

33-EWR

33-HOB

WTC-HOB

WTC-JSQ

Weekend:

33-EWR

33-HOB

WTC-JSQ

Late night:

33-EWR via HOB (every 20 min.)

WTC-JSQ (every 45 min.)

intresting idea. so buddy (amtrak) any reason why you propose to 'flip flop' the newark line with the 33rd street branch going to newark/penn than the wtc line? remember weekdays a high # of people going to lower manhattan transfer to (NJT)lines at newark/penn.

Portal Bridge delays are almost every day, if not every 2 days. Rather than having to run special trains whenever there is an NEC problem, this will absorb the demand nicely.

And the midtown-EWR demand is very high.

while that an issue, what about those people from newark/penn who transfer from and are going to lower manhattan? again not everyone is going to midtown. plus if i am not mistaken is there not a NJT bus that runs between Port Authority and Downtown Newark that serves Newark/Penn as well?

plus another issue is that Jersey City riders boarding at Journal Sq and Grove St & going to 33rd Street branch stations may not be happy if the 33rd line is extended to Newark 24/7. by extending it to newark/penn they have no shot at getting a seat during rush hours and other busy times. if i am not mistaken the 33rd-jsq line is already a very busy line.

reactions amtrak?

33rd st to newark airport, ahhh yea i'm going to say a big no on that one. The 33rd st train is all ready the slowest trip due to proximity of stations, and several hard turns into/out of 33rd st station.

WTC to 2 more places? As someone who all ready has to wait for wtc-hob trains to pass before getting on a packed wtc-nwk train i would probably opt to ride in from broad st station to new york vs risk missing that nwk train or some such.

I believe the lines should run as follows:

Red line: 10 cars runs every 5 minutes, 8 minutes nights & weekends, no "holiday weekend" crap, you don't put less trains out on a day when people wanna use them more. HBLR timers

Blue line: 8 cars same schedule, eventual expansion of stations to fit 10 cars. HBLR timers

Green line: Also same aside from major holidays, have more service since this stops near a mall & condo towers & downtown nyc. Have PA & (NJT) work out a information system to tell people in the PATH station when the next HBLR train is coming, its destination, and at the HBLR stop have it for (HBLR/PATH timers)

Yellow line: Have select peak hour trains (3 minute intervals) skip grove street, christopher st, and 23rd st (none of these are ADA compliant currently). Off peak 7 minutes with smoother integration with red, blue, and green lines where they run together/service same station. Late nights have 10 minute intervals, every other train skips all non-ADA stations aside from 14th st.

Black line: EWR from JSQ 24/7 every 25 minutes, 10 car trains modifed with fold up seats for luggage space. Terminates at the rail station behind the faregates for free transfer. (NJT)/amtk customers using AirTrain to access parking or A/B/C terminals pay 1 dollar extra vs 5.50. This lower fare would keep the platform at newark penn from being too crowded, and get more cars off the road.

New line on existing tracks/ROW: Holidays/emergencies & late nights only Instead of to/from 33rd and jsq via hoboken, run to hoboken from NWK, and keep the blue line at a reduced schedule.

I know some of these ideas are in conflict with each other a small bit, but it's just what i'd like to see. To run that many cars that often, Pa would have to order ~80-100 more PA5, and allow more than one train at a time to occupy the track at newark penn, as well as possibly having to extend certain areas in NYP for airport trains.

- A

33rd st to newark airport, ahhh yea i'm going to say a big no on that one. The 33rd st train is all ready the slowest trip due to proximity of stations, and several hard turns into/out of 33rd st station.

WTC to 2 more places? As someone who all ready has to wait for wtc-hob trains to pass before getting on a packed wtc-nwk train i would probably opt to ride in from broad st station to new york vs risk missing that nwk train or some such.

I believe the lines should run as follows:

Red line: 10 cars runs every 5 minutes, 8 minutes nights & weekends, no "holiday weekend" crap, you don't put less trains out on a day when people wanna use them more. HBLR timers

Blue line: 8 cars same schedule, eventual expansion of stations to fit 10 cars. HBLR timers

Green line: Also same aside from major holidays, have more service since this stops near a mall & condo towers & downtown nyc. Have PA & (NJT) work out a information system to tell people in the PATH station when the next HBLR train is coming, its destination, and at the HBLR stop have it for (HBLR/PATH timers)

Yellow line: Have select peak hour trains (3 minute intervals) skip grove street, christopher st, and 23rd st (none of these are ADA compliant currently). Off peak 7 minutes with smoother integration with red, blue, and green lines where they run together/service same station. Late nights have 10 minute intervals, every other train skips all non-ADA stations aside from 14th st.

Black line: EWR from JSQ 24/7 every 25 minutes, 10 car trains modifed with fold up seats for luggage space. Terminates at the rail station behind the faregates for free transfer. (NJT)/amtk customers using AirTrain to access parking or A/B/C terminals pay 1 dollar extra vs 5.50. This lower fare would keep the platform at newark penn from being too crowded, and get more cars off the road.

New line on existing tracks/ROW: Holidays/emergencies & late nights only Instead of to/from 33rd and jsq via hoboken, run to hoboken from NWK, and keep the blue line at a reduced schedule.

I know some of these ideas are in conflict with each other a small bit, but it's just what i'd like to see. To run that many cars that often, Pa would have to order ~80-100 more PA5, and allow more than one train at a time to occupy the track at newark penn, as well as possibly having to extend certain areas in NYP for airport trains.

- A

metsfan while most of your propsals i agree with if and when a newark aiprort path extension is ever created, you dont need trains at 2-3am running every 10 minutes as you dont want empty trains with the expensve of running a mass transit subway/rapid transit line like path. i think 20-30 minutes overnights headways (appx.2-4am weekdays & 2-6am weekends)is fine and even nyc subways & chicago's CTA subways and 'el' dont run every 10 minutes in early morning hours.

Trust me man, if you're waiting for that train, you don't want to miss one with a 30 or 45 minute interval, especially if it's really hot or cold out.

- A

hate to say but i am sure path and most transit agencies these days can't afford to run 'empty' trains and thus 10 minute headways is too much even with the weather. plus at outdoor stations like newark/penn, and journal sq. there indoor shelters at those stations as well during the cold weather.

plus no transit system in the US has 10 minute headways overnights)ie 130am-6am) that runs 24/7. Chicago's CTA, patco, and (MTA)nyc transit all have 20-30 minute headways overnights. also no offense if someone is a hurry to get between nyc and newark late at night let them it take a cab. instead imo, of expanded overnight service, the $$ is better spent for running the all '4' path line 7 days a week until 8pm or later full time. and also 12 minute or less headways during late evening service until at least 1130pm Monday-Saturday.

I guess you have to be in the area past 11 pm to experience it, which i have been several times in the winter, and it isn't fun. The trains are never empty either, you got at least a few people in each car no matter what time you ride, plus having such increased service would invite more riders (such is the nature of rail transportation).

- A

I guess you have to be in the area past 11 pm to experience it, which i have been several times in the winter, and it isn't fun. The trains are never empty either, you got at least a few people in each car no matter what time you ride, plus having such increased service would invite more riders (such is the nature of rail transportation).

- A

just have to disagree. the government(my brother at 1 time worked for a NY Assembly member but i wont revel name of that 'retired' offical) does not have unlimited amount of $$. my brother showed me some basic state budget reports & the diffculty of balancing a state budget. yes there is waste/political abuse in both Albany and Trenton but at same time there a world outside of mass transit. i believe in the private sector also being involved besides state/regional/local government in running mass transit.

fyi. metsfan maybe on friday/saturday night the 33rd/Hoboken-JSQ line might be sro but when i went from newark airport-nyc on a flight earlier this year and boarded the WTC bound path at 12 midnight there was only 6-7 riders total on a 8-car train. still 10-minute headways is too much plus the stations need to be cleaned at times as well.

metsfan maybe on friday/saturday night the 33rd/Hoboken-JSQ line might be sro but when i went from newark airport-nyc on a flight earlier this year and boarded the WTC bound path at 12 midnight there was only 6-7 riders total on a 8-car train

Er, correction, 7 cars.

thanks for correction. i dont ride path often now but late night i miscounted lol.

LOL! Anytime. I'm a daily PATH rider so I have nitch for picking small details like that. But late night its understandable, I'm barely standing when I ride PATH late at night.

The few times i've ridden PATH at night was in winter, that nice blast of wind at exp will wake you up quick! :eek: Also, WTC & jsq being open to the elements doesn't help either.. :confused: At least hoboken and newport on the overnite/weekend train aren't so bad! :cool:

- A

Archived