Fantasy Subway Map: Draft 1

CenSin

I'm a little sketchy about having the line serve the Food Center and Clason's Point. I have it run on Lafayette Av since it serves more heavy residential areas (like the housing projects by Rosedale Av) and more popular places (like Stevenson and Msgr. Scanlan HS's).

As for the Melrose MNRR stop, my Morris Avenue stop's entrances would be at Park Av/161st St and Morris Av/161st St.

I guess, since I don't live in the Bronx, I'm not too good with this kind of stuff. Agreed.:tup:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep up the responses/suggestions. I'm currently starting to wrap up the map, but I can still add a few more things (as long as it's sane); I've added the station labels for the (1), (2), and (3) lines already.

Download a copy of the draft here: http://www.4shared.com/document/XMbbqAcF/Fantasy_New_York_City_Subway_M.html

My Suggestions:

(Q) train "via Lafayette Ave and 163rd St" to Throggs Neck

(U) train "via 125th St" to Broadway.

(D) and (T) trains to City Island

(4) train "via Eastern Parkway and Fulton St" to Crescent St replacing the Jamaica El from Alabama Av to Crescent St.

My Suggestion is to try to extend the (7) & (8) lines to south ferry via the west side line making stops at:

Christopher St

Houston St

spring St

BMCC (Borough of Manhattan Community College)

Vessey St

WTC

South ferry

If you can or want to..

Guest lance25

I like your map CenSin, but I have one problem with it. I see that you got rid of the (V) in its former routing as the Sixth Ave local via 53rd St. People coming from the Queens Blvd local stops would have to take three different trains to get to Sixth Ave since apparently, there is no connection with the (F) on Queens Blvd at all. So, I guess my suggestion would be to reinstate some sort of Queens Blvd local service that stops along Sixth Ave so passengers won't have to hop from the (G) or (R) to the (E) then the (:P or (D) trains.

I like your map CenSin, but I have one problem with it. I see that you got rid of the (V) in its former routing as the Sixth Ave local via 53rd St. People coming from the Queens Blvd local stops would have to take three different trains to get to Sixth Ave since apparently, there is no connection with the (F) on Queens Blvd at all. So, I guess my suggestion would be to reinstate some sort of Queens Blvd local service that stops along Sixth Ave so passengers won't have to hop from the (G) or (R) to the (E) then the (:) or (D) trains.

The thing is, there's nowhere along the 6th Ave Line in Manhattan (between Central Park and Houston St) that is not also within walking distance of the Broadway Line. I don't see it as a problem.

I agree that the (G) is poorly used on this map, though. I prefer extending it to Harlem via Randall's/Ward's Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Map 2, Draft 2:

fantasynewyorkcitysubwa.th.png

(PDF)

Most of the IRT stations have already been labeled.

Reading the map, the best option would be to extend the (C) over there. It would split off the Concourse Line at Yankee Stadium, then run on 161st, 163rd, and Lafayette Avenues before terminating at City Island.

It's generally not a good idea to split lines between local stations. This necessitates the requirement to run 3 routes over a portion of the line to enable an express or remove express service. Keeping the 2-routes-per-track rule, the Central Park West line would have to carry 5 routes: 2 headed towards Washington Heights and 3 heading towards the Bronx.

Another idea...maybe a line to City Island, or to {the area east of the (6) line in the Bronx}.

I might just extend the Y there as a spur line from the Triboro RX, but it's long enough already (hence it's current terminal at Broadway Junction).

My Suggestions:

(Q) train "via Lafayette Ave and 163rd St" to Throggs Neck

(U) train "via 125th St" to Broadway.

(D) and (T) trains to City Island

(4) train "via Eastern Parkway and Fulton St" to Crescent St replacing the Jamaica El from Alabama Av to Crescent St.

• Just like the extremities of northern Queens, I don't think the east side of Bronx will get additional lines. If it does get a line, it would be a spur from the Triboro RX.
  • City Island may get a subway line, and if so it will probably be (D) and U since they cover the east and west side of Manhattan while the (6) only covers the east side.
  • I've been wanting to extend the (4) somewhere and it might end up paralleling the (3) several blocks north from Utica Avenue to Euclid Avenue on the Fulton Street line.

My Suggestion is to try to extend the (7) & (8) lines to south ferry via the west side line making stops at:

Christopher St

Houston St

spring St

BMCC (Borough of Manhattan Community College)

Vessey St

WTC

South ferry

If you can or want to..

I don't even know if it's possible to build a parallel line so close to the water. 14 Street–11 Avenue is already pushing it. If it gets extended, World Trade Center will be the terminal as it's already quite crowded in Lower Manhattan.

I like your map CenSin, but I have one problem with it. I see that you got rid of the (V) in its former routing as the Sixth Ave local via 53rd St.

See this quote:

The thing is, there's nowhere along the 6th Ave Line in Manhattan (between Central Park and Houston St) that is not also within walking distance of the Broadway Line. I don't see it as a problem.
But I will see what I can do about 6 Avenue access. The (G) is always a candidate for removal from the Queens Boulevard line. In such a case, I might move the current (G) to the Astoria line replacing the Z. The Z will replace the current V and the (V) will replace the current (G) in Queens and run via 53 Street and the Culver line. The local Culver passengers will get their one-seat ride to Manhattan back, but the Astoria passengers will lose it (instead, having the option of transferring to the: (N) in Queens; the (7), 8, (E), and (V) at Court House Square; the (L) at Metropolitan Avenue; and the (;), (C), (D), (J), (M), and U.

I agree that the (G) is poorly used on this map, though. I prefer extending it to Harlem via Randall's/Ward's Island.

The (G) will not go to Manhattan. In fact, we are in short supply of lines that don't go to Manhattan.

Edited by CenSin

Wow, that map looks amazing.

How did you make it?

The original was done from scratch. This second one was done using Illustrator. Apparently, it handles thousands of objects very well, especially all the dots for the stations, labels, and lines (where Publisher fails completely and OpenOffice.org handles very slowly). You're going to have to pay a hefty amount for Illustrator though, so OpenOffice.org is your next best choice.

Do you have a blank version of the base map in an Illustrator format (or a version with just the current system, actually preferable)? I may be getting access to Illustrator soon for unrelated reasons and would like to try my hand.

I can rather make a map If someone helped me.

(A) is to extend to Bronx making stops on (1) line northbound to 225th Street

(B) is to extend to Norwood-205th Street, northbound all times.

(C) is to extend to Queens to Lefferts Boulevard, southbound rush hours

(E) is to go to Jamaica-179th Street (F) all times.

(F) is to change Avenue I to 20th Avenue, Avenue N to 60th Street and Avenue P to 65th Street on Culver.

(J) is to make all Nassau/Jamaica local stops every day

(N) is to stop at Bowery/Manhattan Bridge- Canal Street, then reroute on the (F) line between East Broadway and the Ditmas Avenue Station. This route will be making stops at 47th Street- 18th Avenue, 52nd-53rd Street- 18th Avenue, 60th Street- 18th Avenue, 68th Street- 18th Avenue, 74th Street- 18th Avenue, Bay Ridge Parkway- 20th Avenue, 77th Street- Bay Parkway, Avenue S- Stillwell Avenue, Avenue U/West 12th Street- 86th Street, Avenue X- McDonald Avenue, finally to Coney Island/Stillwell via (F).

I can rather make a map If someone helped me.

(A) is to extend to Bronx making stops on (1) line northbound to 225th Street

(B) is to extend to Norwood-205th Street, northbound all times.

(C) is to extend to Queens to Lefferts Boulevard, southbound rush hours

(E) is to go to Jamaica-179th Street (F) all times.

(F) is to change Avenue I to 20th Avenue, Avenue N to 60th Street and Avenue P to 65th Street on Culver.

(J) is to make all Nassau/Jamaica local stops every day

(N) is to stop at Bowery/Manhattan Bridge- Canal Street, then reroute on the (F) line between East Broadway and the Ditmas Avenue Station. This route will be making stops at 47th Street- 18th Avenue, 52nd-53rd Street- 18th Avenue, 60th Street- 18th Avenue, 68th Street- 18th Avenue, 74th Street- 18th Avenue, Bay Ridge Parkway- 20th Avenue, 77th Street- Bay Parkway, Avenue S- Stillwell Avenue, Avenue U/West 12th Street- 86th Street, Avenue X- McDonald Avenue, finally to Coney Island/Stillwell via (F).

Take the MTA map, and edit it in Paint.

Do you have a blank version of the base map in an Illustrator format (or a version with just the current system, actually preferable)? I may be getting access to Illustrator soon for unrelated reasons and would like to try my hand.

It's a shame I didn't keep a copy of the base map after cleaning it, but you can make one from the PDF provided by the MTA. You have to unprotect the PDF first though, and there are services online that do it for you. From there, however, it gets very messy because the lines, bullets, letters, and other graphics are mixed together into a soup and you have to pick out the useful pieces.

Are there any good and free PDF editors out there? I'm having trouble finding one.

Inkscape is the best free vector graphics editor you can get you hands on. I will have to warn you though: it's not as robust as Illustrator and will become laggy on huge PDF files such as the MTA map (and especially my fantasy map).

Inkscape is the best free vector graphics editor you can get you hands on. I will have to warn you though: it's not as robust as Illustrator and will become laggy on huge PDF files such as the MTA map (and especially my fantasy map).

It's great. Not laggy after I removed all of those annoying bubbles, but I can't find out how to add/extend the lines. :S

right? I did the same thing, I cant figure out how to do it either.

In Inkscape, there should be a toolbar to the left (in the default configuration). Select the tool to draw Beizer curves and stright lines. It works identically to the pen tool in Illustrator. You might want to work on drawing it while the map is magnified to make the extension as seamless as possible. In Illustrator, you can snap the lines' end points.

What font does the MTA use for the map signage?

Akzidenz-Grotesk and Helvetica I use a combination of them to reproduce the signages. The (R), for example, isn't Helvetica, but Akzidenz-Grotesk. You'll see the Helvetica R sometime, but that's incorrect, though the MTA makes this mistake often and people see it as a "sanctioned variant." I believe the (Q) used the Akzidenz-Grotesk form at one point, but it appears that all the bullets use the Helvetica form now.