Surf the subways with these Apple iPhone apps for straphangers

Harry

New Yorkers with iPhones and iPod Touches are a common sight on the subways. You won't, however, see them check the MTA map or ask a conductor for directions - at least not if they've downloaded some of our favorite iPhone apps for straphangers.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_guide/2009/12/20/2009-12-20_apps_for_straphangers.html#ixzz0aKRPKgPd

post-1-133288581261_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581261_thumb.jpg

The iPod is capable of GPS if its connected onto the internet. Personally, I really don't think these apps are useful for day to day straphangers, but for tourists, I would get iTrans. KickMap looks nice, but iTrans has everything including G/Os ect.

If you're talking about the map, then yes, the iTouch has that. However, it doesn't have that compass feature the iPhone has.

The new version of exit strategy is awesome, it's got a subway map, neighborhood maps, exit diagrams, and even bus maps :cool:. I got it when it was $2, so glad I did now that it's $5, but would gladly pay that. For the LIRR I use onTime and iLIRR. Transitbuddy is horrible.

That's the same thing I wondered. I also wondered why the iPod nano received the camera feature when the touch didn't.

The touch is thinner, and it's more cramped inside than the iPhone. That is the only reason. Once they figure out how to get one in there they will do it. Also remember on the touch that part is a window for the wifi antenna.

- A

Archived