Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

To add to your comment in the Queens thread posted by Amtrak about the additional express bus service being added in September, it seems like there are serious MCI issues that the (MTA) needs to address on Staten Island. I know buses have been bought but they need to see if those new buses can be rolled out sooner because last night was insane. I got the 22:56 which was a few minutes late, but it was clear when I got on that apparently a bus was MIA because we were SRO by the time we reached 14th st, which I have seen that early before on an X10. We passed two bus loads of people by the time we reached the last stop and of course they were pissed because they must have been waiting at least an hour already if they had been waiting for the 22:26.

I think that's another reason that even with the bump up service on the X10 that weekend service has been so poor because there are too many breakdowns happening. In fact I see very few of the newer buses out of any of the depots and more very old fleet, buses they are pulling from (MTA) Bus.

I now have to say that 20 minute intervals are needed on the X10 as they're doing because I am seeing an increase of folks getting on. More people are turning to the express bus on the weekends in particular on the X10 because the ferry is still run only once an hour past a certain time during the weekend. They have bags from shopping or have gone out to a show or whatever and they don't want to deal with all of the transfers and bus shuttles. For $5.50 they get a one seat ride back home. It's basically like a taxi ride and while many of them aren't regulars there seems to be more folks going this route and just getting a pay-per-ride at least one way during the weekends so that they can get home in a reasonable amount of time. I wonder why the DOT has not added more frequency on the weekends at night for the ferry say past 20:00??

They definitely need 30 minute headways on the ferry until at least 21:00 (leaving St. George, which would be 21:30 from Whitehall Street) on both Saturdays and Sundays. The buses that don't meet the ferries are almost empty, while the buses that do meet the ferry are crowded to the point where they have pairs of buses leaving to alleviate the crowding.

Obviously, it would cost extra money, but I'm sure the MTA could work out a deal with the DOT that would get rid of the double buses meeting the ferry (because only one bus would be necessary), and give the savings to the DOT to run the extra ferry service.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As of today the city pools are now open:cool: Unlike in previous years you can now take the 78 from Tottenville Pool to Bricktown & vice-versa. That's great for folks without cars.

By the way, does anybody know if the Lyons Pool in Tompkinsville is open this summer? I think they closed it down because the Cromwell Center across the street collapsed.

By the way, does anybody know if the Lyons Pool in Tompkinsville is open this summer? I think they closed it down because the Cromwell Center across the street collapsed.

I think it is open. But I'd have to double-check that by calling the NYC Parks Dept.

Ugh... Public pools... Thanks but I'll pass. :eek:

LOL!

City pools are OK. At least the ones I've been in.

City beaches OTOH! Many of them, their water, leaves much to be desired as far as swimming & other water activies go:(

• 2 weeks later...

I have some opinions on the S79's layover in Brooklyn and I think it should be changed. Here are my reasons:

If the S79 goes +SBS and gets Artics, the S79's layover at 86th Street and Fourth Avenue is not feasible for Artics, and is certainly not feasible for standard buses at the current moment. During the rush hours (and sometimes during other times of the day, but primarily rush hours), there can be three-four S79s waiting to leave and the extra buses will spill to Fourth Avenue, taking up a lane of traffic. Granted, it was a good idea when the S79 was rerouted in Brooklyn back in September but I think it has to be moved again. My proposal is Bay Ridge - 95th Street/Fourth Avenue, following the B8's overnight pattern along 92nd Street, then it turns left onto Fourth Avenue and lays over at 95th Street. Then it picks up passengers at 95th Street and then continues along Fourth Avenue to Marine Avenue, then onto Fort Hamilton Parkway and then onto 92nd Street and resumes its normal route.

I propose this because of what I stated above, in addition to the fact that the S79 shares the same layover block with the B1. Also, the route the B8 operates along at night will see daytime service.

Any thoughts?

I have some opinions on the S79's layover in Brooklyn and I think it should be changed. Here are my reasons:

If the S79 goes +SBS and gets Artics, the S79's layover at 86th Street and Fourth Avenue is not feasible for Artics, and is certainly not feasible for standard buses at the current moment. During the rush hours (and sometimes during other times of the day, but primarily rush hours), there can be three-four S79s waiting to leave and the extra buses will spill to Fourth Avenue, taking up a lane of traffic. Granted, it was a good idea when the S79 was rerouted in Brooklyn back in September but I think it has to be moved again. My proposal is Bay Ridge - 95th Street/Fourth Avenue, following the B8's overnight pattern along 92nd Street, then it turns left onto Fourth Avenue and lays over at 95th Street. Then it picks up passengers at 95th Street and then continues along Fourth Avenue to Marine Avenue, then onto Fort Hamilton Parkway and then onto 92nd Street and resumes its normal route.

I propose this because of what I stated above, in addition to the fact that the S79 shares the same layover block with the B1. Also, the route the B8 operates along at night will see daytime service.

Any thoughts?

Here's what I would do... I would screw the whole re-routing to 95th st and have the S53 and S79 extended to serve 59th st to give Staten Islanders direct access to the (N) express. That would cut out one connection (stupid slow @ss (R) train :() and give folks a faster commute and also give some service to folks along 4th Avenue. The only thing I'm not sure of is where those buses would layover at, but I think that would be way better.

Any thoughts?

I could've sworn the B1 and S79 layed over on 4th Avenue, not 86th Street.

In any case, I think it is better to keep it with the current pattern. The (R) travels very slowly into 95th Street, which makes it faster to have the buses meet at 86th Street.

Here's what I would do... I would screw the whole re-routing to 95th st and have the S53 and S79 extended to serve 59th st to give Staten Islanders direct access to the (N) express. That would cut out one connection (stupid slow @ss (R) train :() and give folks a faster commute and also give some service to folks along 4th Avenue. The only thing I'm not sure of is where those buses would layover at, but I think that would be way better.

If you're going to have the buses travel along 4th Avenue and make stops, you might as well keep them at 86th Street. The time saved by having the direct transfer to the (N) will be lost with the extra stops makde by the buses (and there are more riders than you think who stay on the (R) rather than transfer to the (N)).

A better way to reach 65th Street would be to have the buses get off at 92nd Street (for the connection to the B70), use the service road until 86th Street, get back on the Gowanus, and then use the 65th Street exit to access the (N)(R) station. That way, you avoid the congestion along 86th/92nd Street in Bay Ridge.

I could've sworn the B1 and S79 layed over on 4th Avenue, not 86th Street.

In any case, I think it is better to keep it with the current pattern. The (R) travels very slowly into 95th Street, which makes it faster to have the buses meet at 86th Street.

If you're going to have the buses travel along 4th Avenue and make stops, you might as well keep them at 86th Street. The time saved by having the direct transfer to the (N) will be lost with the extra stops makde by the buses (and there are more riders than you think who stay on the (R) rather than transfer to the (N)).

A better way to reach 65th Street would be to have the buses get off at 92nd Street (for the connection to the B70), use the service road until 86th Street, get back on the Gowanus, and then use the 65th Street exit to access the (N)(R) station. That way, you avoid the congestion along 86th/92nd Street in Bay Ridge.

Even so it would cut down on one more transfer for Staten Islanders. I would have the S93 continue to make limited stops. Instead of turning left on 86th and 4th it would turn right and make all local (R) stops to 59th street. I would have the same done with the S79 SBS. 4th Avenue isn't congested either and you are also making the assumption that there would be tons of people getting on and off which I don't necessarily see being an issue. Why have people make another unnecessary transfer to a train that connects like sh*t to the (N)??

Now that Via mentioned it, that actually does not seem like a bad idea at all. I hate having to transfer to an (N) train at 59th Street when most of the time the train takes forever to come. Whenever I am heading into Manhattan from Staten Island, I usually go to 36th Street and take whatever comes first, (D) or (N), because I have a better chance of catching a train at that stop.

I'll come out with a schematic on Google Maps tomorrow about it, but mapping out the route in my head, coming off the bridge, the three routes would make their first stop at Fort Hamilton Parkway/92nd Street, then continue to use 92nd Street to Fourth Avenue, make a right on Fourth Avenue and make the current S79 stop at 91st Street, then 86th Street, and continue along Fourth Avenue until 59th Street where the buses will terminate.

Southbound, the route will pick up between 59th and 60th Streets and continue down Fourth Avenue until 92nd Street and the go onto the bridge.

The issue here is how would the buses turn around. It is possible for a bus to make a U-turn to reverse direction onto Fourth Avenue, but I don't really know about that. However it would help passengers in Bay Ridge greatly and depending on the time of day, the bus service combined would be more frequent than the train service!

Now that Via mentioned it, that actually does not seem like a bad idea at all. I hate having to transfer to an (N) train at 59th Street when most of the time the train takes forever to come. Whenever I am heading into Manhattan from Staten Island, I usually go to 36th Street and take whatever comes first, (D) or (N), because I have a better chance of catching a train at that stop.

I'll come out with a schematic on Google Maps tomorrow about it, but mapping out the route in my head, coming off the bridge, the three routes would make their first stop at Fort Hamilton Parkway/92nd Street, then continue to use 92nd Street to Fourth Avenue, make a right on Fourth Avenue and make the current S79 stop at 91st Street, then 86th Street, and continue along Fourth Avenue until 59th Street where the buses will terminate.

Southbound, the route will pick up between 59th and 60th Streets and continue down Fourth Avenue until 92nd Street and the go onto the bridge.

The issue here is how would the buses turn around. It is possible for a bus to make a U-turn to reverse direction onto Fourth Avenue, but I don't really know about that. However it would help passengers in Bay Ridge greatly and depending on the time of day, the bus service combined would be more frequent than the train service!

Just so you know, checkmate & I have been discussing when the (MTA) allows folks to go up and speak about service issues and since I work down the street from their Midtown office, I plan on going to their office soon before one of their meetings and discussing 3 key things to improve Staten Island transportation that would probably be cost neutral:

-Ensuring that the X10s are better spaced to improve reliability. It makes absolutely no sense to provide additional X10s if passengers aren't going to reap any benefits. This could simply be done by having a dispatcher oversee the line more closely from Castleton.

-Converting some S53s into S83s to provide limited stop service below Victory Blvd and Clove Rd. I will also make the suggestion to provide reverse peak limited stop service on other busy lines like the S48. This would speed up buses and perhaps even provide some savings while improving service for folks who use those lines.

-Finally, I would propose extending all S79s and S53s to 59th street & 4th Avenue in Brooklyn. Perhaps I will try to study where a turnaround could be made at today sometime. If that idea doesn't go with them, I would suggest then having (R) trains schedules to meet up easier with the (N). The S53 extension could perhaps be cost effective if they were turned into S83s and made limited stops the entire way. The route itself is a pretty short one so an additional 10 minutes would hurt.

My only question to checkmate is how long do they usually give folks in terms of speaking about their service suggestions? I think my suggestions could be wrapped up in 5 minutes or less, as I would practice my proposal ahead of time, so as not to ramble.

Just so you know, checkmate & I have been discussing when the (MTA) allows folks to go up and speak about service issues and since I work down the street from their Midtown office, I plan on going to their office soon before one of their meetings and discussing 3 key things to improve Staten Island transportation that would probably be cost neutral:

-Ensuring that the X10s are better spaced to improve reliability. It makes absolutely no sense to provide additional X10s if passengers aren't going to reap any benefits. This could simply be done by having a dispatcher oversee the line more closely from Castleton.

-Converting some S53s into S83s to provide limited stop service below Victory Blvd and Clove Rd. I will also make the suggestion to provide reverse peak limited stop service on other busy lines like the S48. This would speed up buses and perhaps even provide some savings while improving service for folks who use those lines.

-Finally, I would propose extending all S79s and S53s to 59th street & 4th Avenue in Brooklyn. Perhaps I will try to study where a turnaround could be made at today sometime. If that idea doesn't go with them, I would suggest then having (R) trains schedules to meet up easier with the (N). The S53 extension could perhaps be cost effective if they were turned into S83s and made limited stops the entire way. The route itself is a pretty short one so an additional 10 minutes would hurt.

My only question to checkmate is how long do they usually give folks in terms of speaking about their service suggestions? I think my suggestions could be wrapped up in 5 minutes or less, as I would practice my proposal ahead of time, so as not to ramble.

You can suggest cutting back some of the reverse-peak S48s to Richmond Avenue, to provide the savings to run the S98 (they usually don't see too high ridership anyway). Like I said, it would be best if S98s could run to Elizabeth: That way they could run all day and have the ridership to support it, but I doubt the MTA would go for it (especially since it crosses state lines and probably requires more regulation).

On a side note, for the record, I agree with their cost-neutrality concept, but only to a certain extent. If an improvement costs a little extra money, but provides a large benefit, it should be done.

They give you 2 minutes of speaking time, but if you're really getting into the explanation, they'll probably let you go on for 5 minutes (that's why I suggest going to the committee meetings rather than the board meetings, as they are less pressed for time).

Here are the public speaking rules:

Public Speaking Procedures

Registration opens 15 minutes before scheduled start of committee meetings and 30 minutes before the start of each board meeting.

Registration must be done in person.

Statements must be about agenda items only.

Two minute speaking limit.

Speaking time may not be transferred.

Like I said, they probably won't be too strict: They shouldn't mind if you go off-topic, and they should let you speak as long as it takes to get the ideas across.

I would recommend writing a detailed copy of the proposals and handing it to them just in case they don't let you go over the time limit.

I did see 6335 getting ready to be towed back to Yukon, but this was on Hylan Boulevard close to Great Kills Park. You may be talking about a different bus.

Getting back to topic, I would have the northbound buses drop out between 60th and 59th Streets, then when they're ready to start up, they'd use 59th Street (which is a one-way westbound) and turn south onto Third Avenue, then turn on 65th Street and back onto Fourth Avenue and head south.

IF Governor Cuomo closes Arthur Kill Correctional Facility, the property could be a great spot for (MTA)(NYCT)SI Bus Depot #5. It could be called the Rossville or Bloomingdale or Blazing Star Depot. I figure it'd be somewhere in between diminutive Meredith & Yukon in size.

I know the new Charleston Depot is a stones throws away & Meredith is 2 stones throws away up the WSE/440, but as others have said &/or alluded to, SI will need a 5th depot sooner than later yes?

Now, personally I'd rather & hope Governor Cuomo doesn't close AKCF, despite & even though I'm largely indifferent to it. It's a fixture & SI "landmark" of sorts, despite being a prison. Plus all the folks who work there & what not. Plus, AKFC makes the 55 & 74/(84) SI's "Oz" Runs:cool:

Anyway, were Gov Cuomo to close AKFC, how do YOU feel about the AKFC property becoming the home of SI's 5th Depot?

I did see 6335 getting ready to be towed back to Yukon, but this was on Hylan Boulevard close to Great Kills Park. You may be talking about a different bus.

Getting back to topic, I would have the northbound buses drop out between 60th and 59th Streets, then when they're ready to start up, they'd use 59th Street (which is a one-way westbound) and turn south onto Third Avenue, then turn on 65th Street and back onto Fourth Avenue and head south.

Nah, different bus.... This bus was being towed and going towards Yukon or perhaps Charleston and flying too... :eek:

But yeah this 59th st setup would give folks direct access to transfer to the B9 to Kings Plaza or the B4 towards Sheepshead Bay, etc.

IF Governor Cuomo closes Arthur Kill Correctional Facility, the property could be a great spot for (MTA)(NYCT)SI Bus Depot #5. It could be called the Rossville or Bloomingdale or Blazing Star Depot. I figure it'd be somewhere in between diminutive Meredith & Yukon in size.

I know the new Charleston Depot is a stones throws away & Meredith is 2 stones throws away up the WSE/440, but as others have said &/or alluded to, SI will need a 5th depot sooner than later yes?

Now, personally I'd rather & hope Governor Cuomo doesn't close AKCF, despite & even though I'm largely indifferent to it. It's a fixture & SI "landmark" of sorts, despite being a prison. Plus all the folks who work there & what not. Plus, AKFC makes the 55 & 74/(84) SI's "Oz" Runs:cool:

Anyway, were Gov Cuomo to close AKFC, how do YOU feel about the AKFC property becoming the home of SI's 5th Depot?

Wait, are you saying Cuomo wants to close Arthur Kill? O.o

Nah, different bus.... This bus was being towed and going towards Yukon or perhaps Charleston and flying too... :eek:

But yeah this 59th st setup would give folks direct access to transfer to the B9 to Kings Plaza or the B4 towards Sheepshead Bay, etc.

Oh I understand...and yeah an extension like this would help out South Brooklyn greatly. :cool:

Wait, are you saying Cuomo wants to close Arthur Kill? O.o

Yeah, Arthur Kill is slated to be closed. There were protests just recently and the politicians are pushing to keep it open. I have seen those inmates over by the service road cleaning up all of the weeds that take over the sidewalk. If they close down the prison who is going to do that??? :confused: There was recently a NY1 report on how bus riders trying to get over the buses by Clove & Richmond have to basically walk into coming traffic on the service road because the weeds are so overgrown so maybe the city will finally address it.

Yeah, Arthur Kill is slated to be closed. There were protests just recently and the politicians are pushing to keep it open. I have seen those inmates over by the service road cleaning up all of the weeds that take over the sidewalk. If they close down the prison who is going to do that??? :confused: There was recently a NY1 report on how bus riders trying to get over the buses by Clove & Richmond have to basically walk into coming traffic on the service road because the weeds are so overgrown so maybe the city will finally address it.

Screw, "who's going to pull weeds?" The prisons are so overcrowded, where they hell are they going to put the prisoners?? A little off topic, but...

I saw that report you referred to. It's pretty ridiculous and definitely needs to get taken care of. They need to just allot some city resources to take care of the area.

Screw, "who's going to pull weeds?" The prisons are so overcrowded, where they hell are they going to put the prisoners?? A little off topic, but...

I saw that report you referred to. It's pretty ridiculous and definitely needs to get taken care of. They need to just allot some city resources to take care of the area.

Yeah, but the thing is those prisoners aren't high risk prisoners, so they do things in the communities around Staten Island and save money since we have to feed and clothe them, so might as well use their labor and not spend extra monies to imprison them AND then spend monies to clean that area up over by Richmond Rd.

Yeah, but the thing is those prisoners aren't high risk prisoners, so they do things in the communities around Staten Island and save money since we have to feed and clothe them, so might as well use their labor and not spend extra monies to imprison them AND then spend monies to clean that area up over by Richmond Rd.

Exactly. The government's killing 2 bird$ with 1 $tone.

Archived