Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

1) But that's not the point. I'm sure there are people in Sheepshead Bay who fear public transportation, and obviously, you weren't one of them.

2) But that's my point. Yeah, you liked (and still like) nice things and were a little bit spoiled, but believe me, the person I'm referring to is the definition of a spoiled brat (I mean, just be hearing her talk, you could tell). She's not the type to work her way through college or attend a basic CUNY/SUNY college (though admittedly, her grades are high enough that she'd probably get some sort of scholarship).

I remember she was complaining about how there was no Student MetroCard for express buses (her brother goes to Stuyvesant). It's like, if you were really concerned about the cost, you would've asked that before your brother got accepted to the school. The principal suggested the local bus->ferry and you should've seen the look on her face. She made up an excuse that it takes too long (which it does), but you could tell that the real reason is that she doesn't want to spend all of that time on a bus with "those people".

1) In a way though, it does make a difference. I mean folks in Brooklyn are more likely to use public transportation. HOWEVER, I will admit that I was fearful of the subway for a while when I first started venturing out alone. Of course back then the subways weren't as safe as they are now, so I would usually get on in the first car. Now I usually get on in the first or last car depending on where I'm getting off and where the closest exit is.

Speaking of which, I still remember a ride on the (Q) train from Sheepshead Bay... LOL This white guy was on and he kept yelling out how he hated n*ggers and such. Of course as we got towards say Newkirk Avenue where blacks usually get on, you can imagine that some of them started saying stuff. :eek: :eek:

Let's just say that I recall a few conflicts breaking out, although nothing physical occurred at least while I was riding.

2) Well hey can you blame her? I'm serious. Riding the local bus is Brooklyn is nothing like riding the local bus on Staten Island. And yeah "those people" that she made a face about I mean hey I would've done the same thing. We're far more civilized on the SI express buses. :cool: :tup:

But yeah she must've died and then died again when he suggested the ferry to the local bus. LMAO :eek:

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) In a way though, it does make a difference. I mean folks in Brooklyn are more likely to use public transportation. HOWEVER, I will admit that I was fearful of the subway for a while when I first started venturing out alone. Of course back then the subways weren't as safe as they are now, so I would usually get on in the first car. Now I usually get on in the first or last car depending on where I'm getting off and where the closest exit is.

Speaking of which, I still remember a ride on the (Q) train from Sheepshead Bay... LOL This white guy was on and he kept yelling out how he hated n*ggers and such. Of course as we got towards say Newkirk Avenue where blacks usually get on, you can imagine that some of them started saying stuff. :eek: :eek:

Let's just say that I recall a few conflicts breaking out, although nothing physical occurred at least while I was riding.

2) Well hey can you blame her? I'm serious. Riding the local bus is Brooklyn is nothing like riding the local bus on Staten Island. And yeah "those people" that she made a face about I mean hey I would've done the same thing. We're far more civilized on the SI express buses. :cool: :tup:

But yeah she must've died and then died again when he suggested the ferry to the local bus. LMAO :eek:

1) Well it's to be expected that you'd be a bit afraid. The subways weren't as safe as they are now, but also you're traveling with complete strangers, not to mention the fact that you're walking to and from the stations by yourself.

2) That's not the point. She was acting all tough and "hood", and yet the only "hood" thing she does is ride the local bus and occasionally hang out (not by herself, of course) in some areas that the average person could care less about, but she considers "hood" (like Checkers on Forest Avenue). She can talk the talk, but she sure as hell can't walk the walk.

By the way, the express bus was for her brother, but I can only imagine her expression if she had to take the bus to the ferry herself. She ended up going to a Catholic School on the South Shore, but I'm not sure how she's getting there. During school hours, the S59 is filled with other students, so she'd probably feel alright taking it.

1) Well it's to be expected that you'd be a bit afraid. The subways weren't as safe as they are now, but also you're traveling with complete strangers, not to mention the fact that you're walking to and from the stations by yourself.

Yeah, when I would go to the village for my rock CDs and t-shirts, a bunch of us would go together, this way we would feel safer, particularly going to the village, since back in those days you only had the rockers, the gays and the druggies hanging out over there. :eek: Today you've got all types of folks hanging in the village, so it has lost its freaky label if you know what I mean. :P

2) That's not the point. She was acting all tough and "hood", and yet the only "hood" thing she does is ride the local bus and occasionally hang out (not by herself, of course) in some areas that the average person could care less about, but she considers "hood" (like Checkers on Forest Avenue). She can talk the talk, but she sure as hell can't walk the walk.

By the way, the express bus was for her brother, but I can only imagine her expression if she had to take the bus to the ferry herself. She ended up going to a Catholic School on the South Shore, but I'm not sure how she's getting there. During school hours, the S59 is filled with other students, so she'd probably feel alright taking it.

LOL... Well I consider anything in Mariners' Harbor to the the hood, esp. that area over there by Checkers. And what's up with the cracked up sidewalks and lack of businesses?? :eek: I can imagine that the old Western Beef building there on South & Forest must be infested w/rats. :eek: They should tear all of that down and put something decent there. Then again I get the feeling that some folks feel as if there is no need to invest in Mariners' Harbor. I mean there is so much dead space with weeds and such over there and then you have one side of Forest Avenue towards the movie theatre that is just weird looking with no sidewalks and those trailers or whatever the hell they're supposed to be. It looks like some place out in the Midwest where you see those trailer trash people about. LOL :eek: :eek: :tdown: :tdown:

I still have a hard time realizing that A) I'm on Staten Island and :P that I'm on Forest Avenue. A double whammy if I may say so myself. And who in the world thought of putting a movie theatre over there of all places? I mean it's in the middle of nowhere. I would never go to that movie theatre, esp. not in that neck of the woods. I just go to the Upper West Side or to a spot by the Lincoln Center when I want to see a movie. :cool:

Yeah, when I would go to the village for my rock CDs and t-shirts, a bunch of us would go together, this way we would feel safer, particularly going to the village, since back in those days you only had the rockers, the gays and the druggies hanging out over there. :eek: Today you've got all types of folks hanging in the village, so it has lost its freaky label if you know what I mean. :P

LOL... Well I consider anything in Mariners' Harbor to the the hood, esp. that area over there by Checkers. And what's up with the cracked up sidewalks and lack of businesses?? :eek: I can imagine that the old Western Beef building there on South & Forest must be infested w/rats. :eek: They should tear all of that down and put something decent there. Then again I get the feeling that some folks feel as if there is no need to invest in Mariners' Harbor. I mean there is so much dead space with weeds and such over there and then you have one side of Forest Avenue towards the movie theatre that is just weird looking with no sidewalks and those trailers or whatever the hell they're supposed to be. It looks like some place out in the Midwest where you see those trailer trash people about. LOL :eek: :eek: :tdown: :tdown:

I still have a hard time realizing that A) I'm on Staten Island and :P that I'm on Forest Avenue. A double whammy if I may say so myself. And who in the world thought of putting a movie theatre over there of all places? I mean it's in the middle of nowhere. I would never go to that movie theatre, esp. not in that neck of the woods. I just go to the Upper West Side or to a spot by the Lincoln Center when I want to see a movie. :cool:

I miss the old Travis UA. But that was a pain in the ass to get to without a car, depending on what part of the Island you were coming from. Atrium & the New Dorp UA can be nice theaters depending on the time of day you go to them.

There used to be more theaters here, like two 2 to 3 screen theaters that used to be over by the Mall & Yukon.

1) Yeah, when I would go to the village for my rock CDs and t-shirts, a bunch of us would go together, this way we would feel safer, particularly going to the village, since back in those days you only had the rockers, the gays and the druggies hanging out over there. :eek: Today you've got all types of folks hanging in the village, so it has lost its freaky label if you know what I mean. :P

2) LOL... Well I consider anything in Mariners' Harbor to the the hood, esp. that area over there by Checkers. And what's up with the cracked up sidewalks and lack of businesses?? :eek: I can imagine that the old Western Beef building there on South & Forest must be infested w/rats. :eek: They should tear all of that down and put something decent there. Then again I get the feeling that some folks feel as if there is no need to invest in Mariners' Harbor. I mean there is so much dead space with weeds and such over there and then you have one side of Forest Avenue towards the movie theatre that is just weird looking with no sidewalks and those trailers or whatever the hell they're supposed to be. It looks like some place out in the Midwest where you see those trailer trash people about. LOL :eek: :eek: :tdown: :tdown:

3) I still have a hard time realizing that A) I'm on Staten Island and B) that I'm on Forest Avenue. A double whammy if I may say so myself. And who in the world thought of putting a movie theatre over there of all places? I mean it's in the middle of nowhere. I would never go to that movie theatre, esp. not in that neck of the woods. I just go to the Upper West Side or to a spot by the Lincoln Center when I want to see a movie. :cool:

1) True. But you know she'd be petrified if she went by herself.

I tell you, if taking local buses makes you "hood", my grandmother must be "hood", and I'm probably off the charts. And (gasp) a minority too?! :eek: :P (By the way, that "?!" sign is actually chess notation that means that a move was probably bad. Just throwing that out there. B))

2) Well then I beg to differ, considering how often I go down there. There are a bunch of businesses, but the thing is that they're auto-oriented (with big parking lots), so there's fewer of them. A half a block away from Checkers is a shopping center with different stores. Sure, some of the places are check-cashing places and pawn shops, but overall it doesn't feel seedy to me. (My mother would be freaking out if it was "seedy". I remember she told me that an S46 let her off by the Mariners' Harbor Houses and told her to wait for the next bus, and she was pretty nervous, but by Forest Avenue and in the eastern parts of Mariners' Harbor), she felt fine.

Of course, in this day and age, the closer a place is to the city, the more people are willing to invest in it. I'm sure the East Village, Harlem, and Times Sqare took a ton of money to clean up, but the city knew that it would be worth it. As far as they're concerned, Mariners' Harbor's in the middle of nowhere: On the West Shore of Staten Island with no subway connection, it might as well be in Connecticut for all they care.

3) The thing about that movie theater is that it's too far to walk to and too close to take a bus to. To get there, I'd have to take the S46 for 2 stops to Forest Avenue, and then take the S40 for one stop. That's just not worth paying $2.25 for.

I have an idea for a bus route named the "S75" to operate along Arthur Kill and Richmond Roads between the S.I. Mall and Brooklyn, either in Bay Ridge (preferably 59th Street/Fourth Avenue) or another Brooklyn neighborhood. The route would follow the S93 to Richmond Road (southbound) or Targee Street (northbound), along the S74 route to Richmond Avenue, and then the S79 route to its terminal at the S.I. Mall.

This is just a rough idea, but all I have for it right now is weekday-only service operating all-local. It gives riders along Arthur Kill Road/Richmond Road access to Brooklyn without having to transfer to an S53/93 at Clove Road, as well as access to the mall without having to transfer at Richmond Avenue for an S55/56/59/79. Hours of operation would be weekdays only 5 a.m. - 9 p.m., 15 minute service during rush hours, half-hour service off-peak, based out of Yukon. Any thoughts?

I have an idea for a bus route named the "S75" to operate along Arthur Kill and Richmond Roads between the S.I. Mall and Brooklyn, either in Bay Ridge (preferably 59th Street/Fourth Avenue) or another Brooklyn neighborhood. The route would follow the S93 to Richmond Road (southbound) or Targee Street (northbound), along the S74 route to Richmond Avenue, and then the S79 route to its terminal at the S.I. Mall.

This is just a rough idea, but all I have for it right now is weekday-only service operating all-local. It gives riders along Arthur Kill Road/Richmond Road access to Brooklyn without having to transfer to an S53/93 at Clove Road, as well as access to the mall without having to transfer at Richmond Avenue for an S55/56/59/79. Hours of operation would be weekdays only 5 a.m. - 9 p.m., 15 minute service during rush hours, half-hour service off-peak, based out of Yukon. Any thoughts?

Nice idea bad implementation that is a duplicate!!!!!!!!!! MTA hates duplicates!!!!!! I would put it on mclean ave then reid to hylan blvd to gyyon ave then clarke and then richmond hill road thus creating a faster version of the S79.

Rather than a duplicate of several routes that would garner little to no ridership at all one ppl going to richmond are on S53 then use S74. ppl on richmond hill auther kill use S74 then S59 or 79 so ur S75 is already doomed to failure.

I would say to leave the S79 as the only SI Mall-Brooklyn route in the area. I just can't see any demand for another SI-Brooklyn route.

Think about it: The MTA can get more value for their money by just improving S79 service. It's not that far a walk from Richmond Road to Hylan Blvd, and people would benefit more from having frequent service where they don't have to look a schedule.

I mean, the transfer from the S74 to the S55/56/59/79/89 is fairly easy, and riders along Richmond Road can just walk down to Hylan Blvd service to Brooklyn.

Nice idea bad implementation that is a duplicate!!!!!!!!!! MTA hates duplicates!!!!!! I would put it on mclean ave then reid to hylan blvd to gyyon ave then clarke and then richmond hill road thus creating a faster version of the S79.

Rather than a duplicate of several routes that would garner little to no ridership at all one ppl going to richmond are on S53 then use S74. ppl on richmond hill auther kill use S74 then S59 or 79 so ur S75 is already doomed to failure.

Richmond Hill Road can't handle a bus. It's too narrow and has too many turns. In fact, it's known as "Snake Hill" by a lot of people.

I would say to leave the S79 as the only SI Mall-Brooklyn route in the area. I just can't see any demand for another SI-Brooklyn route.

Think about it: The MTA can get more value for their money by just improving S79 service. It's not that far a walk from Richmond Road to Hylan Blvd, and people would benefit more from having frequent service where they don't have to look a schedule.

I mean, the transfer from the S74 to the S55/56/59/79/89 is fairly easy, and riders along Richmond Road can just walk down to Hylan Blvd service to Brooklyn.

I have to agree. Just give the S53 and S79 limited stop service and make connecting easy and that solves that problem.

Richmond Hill Road can't handle a bus. It's too narrow and has too many turns. In fact, it's known as "Snake Hill" by a lot of people.

Aside from that it really can't handle the pounding from a bus either. I know they recently repaved it, but a bus running down there would tear up that street in no time.

I have to agree. Just give the S53 and S79 limited stop service and make connecting easy and that solves that problem.

Aside from that it really can't handle the pounding from a bus either. I know they recently repaved it, but a bus running down there would tear up that street in no time.

I know S53 needs LTD but does the S79 really need it??? I thought S79 was fast well based on my experience.

Agreed.

I know S53 needs LTD but does the S79 really need it??? I thought S79 was fast well based on my experience.

It's fast, but the S59 and S78 are already a built-in local counterpart. Why not try to speed the trip along the corridor when it's easy to do so? If the SIR ran with subway-like frequencies, maybe it would be a different story, but under the current circumstances, even though it's faster, it's not really an alternative for Hylan Blvd riders.

I mean, if done in conjunction with shortening the layovers in Bay Ridge, it can greatly improve service in the Hylan Blvd corridor at virtually no cost.

My plan for the corridor is as follows:

* Keep S78 service the same.

* Make an S79 limited (at basically the same headways as the current S79).

* Add an S79A that would travel as a local and serve Giffords Lane, thereby keeping the loss of local service to a minimum. It should run every, say 20 minutes during rush hour and 30 minutes off-peak.

Like I said, it would also give Giffords Lane riders access to more popular destinations (the SI Mall and Bay Ridge, as well as shopping on Hylan Blvd)

Agreed.

It's fast, but the S59 and S78 are already a built-in local counterpart. Why not try to speed the trip along the corridor when it's easy to do so? If the SIR ran with subway-like frequencies, maybe it would be a different story, but under the current circumstances, even though it's faster, it's not really an alternative for Hylan Blvd riders.

I mean, if done in conjunction with shortening the layovers in Bay Ridge, it can greatly improve service in the Hylan Blvd corridor at virtually no cost.

My plan for the corridor is as follows:

* Keep S78 service the same.

* Make an S79 limited (at basically the same headways as the current S79).

* Add an S79A that would travel as a local and serve Giffords Lane, thereby keeping the loss of local service to a minimum. It should run every, say 20 minutes during rush hour and 30 minutes off-peak.

Like I said, it would also give Giffords Lane riders access to more popular destinations (the SI Mall and Bay Ridge, as well as shopping on Hylan Blvd)

why not reroute s59 to giffords la selected runs

why not reroute s59 to giffords la selected runs

Two reasons:

1) The local shouldn't deviate too much from the limited (the S59 shouldn't deviate too much from the S89).

2) The S79 runs more frequently, making it easier to have a couple of buses serve Giffords Lane. I wouldn't intend to give them a whole bunch of service: Just basic coverage service that connects them where they want to go.

Also, in addition to (obviously) serving the ETC, you do see a decent crowd emabarking on the S59 at the Eltingville SIR station. While some of them may just be taking the SIR, and it doesn't matter whether they really stay on for an extra stop (or get off a stop early if they're coming from the St. George direction), there are a decent number of riders who just walk up to the SIR station, as there is a lot of activity around the SIR station.

The S79 most certainly could use LTD service. Hylan Blvd can be a traffic nightmare and the S79 suffers terribly from bunching and can be a long commute for those going and coming from Staten Island on the South Shore to Brooklyn.

The S79 most certainly could use LTD service. Hylan Blvd can be a traffic nightmare and the S79 suffers terribly from bunching and can be a long commute for those going and coming from Staten Island on the South Shore to Brooklyn.

Well, limiteds don't fly over traffic (a bus lane would help more for traffic than a limited), but yeah, even if it's fast, there's nothing wrong with making it faster.

I read the Straphangers Report Card, and the S79 was one of the slowest buses on SI, at around 11.8 mph (behind only the S53 and S48). Of course, they might have excluded some routes (and their reports are BS anyway), but it does show that it would help if it went faster.

[GMAPS]:cool:<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a7bc39814bad87e52&ie=UTF8&ll=40.61661,-74.011352&spn=0.052887,0.179772&vpsrc=6&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a7bc39814bad87e52&ie=UTF8&ll=40.61661,-74.011352&spn=0.052887,0.179772&vpsrc=6&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">SI to Brooklyn</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

The blue line would be a LTD service running from St. George to Kings Plaza via Bay St/Vanderbilt Av in Staten Island and via 86 St/Av X in Brooklyn, making the following stops:

All S86 stops between St. George and Narrows Rd/Richmond Rd/Targee St

All S93 stops on Narrows Rd between Richmond Rd and Fingerboard Rd

Ft. Hamilton Pkwy / 92 St

Ft. Hamilton Pkwy / 86 St

86 St / 7 Av

86 St / 13 Av

86 St / 18 Av

86 St / 25 Av

86 St / Stillwell Av

86 St (N) station

86 St / Av X

Av X / Ocean Pkwy

Av X / Coney Island Av

Av Y / Ocean Av

Av Y / Nostrand Av

Nostrand Av / Av U

Kings Plaza

I agree that we should have a St.George-Kings Plaza route. On the subject of routing in Brooklyn, why did you choose the routing you did? The fastest routing would be 86th St -> Avenue U. Since your incarnation of this route is a Limited, I would think we'd want it to be as fast as possible. I wouldn't mind a route following that Avenue X/Avenue Y pattern; I just don't think it should be left up to a Limited route coming all the way from Staten Island.

Well, limiteds don't fly over traffic (a bus lane would help more for traffic than a limited), but yeah, even if it's fast, there's nothing wrong with making it faster.

I read the Straphangers Report Card, and the S79 was one of the slowest buses on SI, at around 11.8 mph (behind only the S53 and S48). Of course, they might have excluded some routes (and their reports are BS anyway), but it does show that it would help if it went faster.

Well yeah, you'll get no arguments from me. I've been using the X17J to get in of late and we use the bus lane on 34th street and it actually does speed things up. It would help make the X1, X2, X3 and X9 more reliable and faster and help them not bunch as much.

I agree that we should have a St.George-Kings Plaza route. On the subject of routing in Brooklyn, why did you choose the routing you did? The fastest routing would be 86th St -> Avenue U. Since your incarnation of this route is a Limited, I would think we'd want it to be as fast as possible. I wouldn't mind a route following that Avenue X/Avenue Y pattern; I just don't think it should be left up to a Limited route coming all the way from Staten Island.

ur right that rte doesn't make sense in structure just extend B2 via ave P and bay parkway and belt parkway DONE. PPL who see it will eventually use it!!!!!!!

Manipulating ridership habits is what I plan to do. However thanks to points made by engeneerboy I revised my S55 extension instead of ending just at cheesquake It extends to aberdeen matawan train station vis cheesquake. So S55 will have only 2 NJ stops cheesquake and the train station DONE this is for ppl heading TOWARDS CENTRAL NJ NOT to an alternative for manhattan or newark. Let those ppl use S57/54 or S89 to S54/57. S55/56 is to connect central and south NJ from SI and to SI. However S55 to aberdeen is senario 1 of my plan. Senario 2 is S55to cheesquake only. BUT NJT 74 becomes a long distance express/local line with an intermidiate stop at metro park via bloomfield train station and GSP the line will serve cheesquake and aberdeen matawan on selected trips that will replace a segment of the 817 and 834. Other 74 trips will devour other 8xx rtes in monmouth but that is in my NJT plan that I am almost done with. 74 will be like a GSP crosstown express line sort of that is senario 2 where S55 stays put at cheesequake due to connecting lines and help from other NJT regionals like 60 in addition to academy. Consider it as a connection for long distance type travellers. While S56 is for short haul and a mix of long haul as well. In senario 1 NJT 74 is still regional but with different variants. However for that to work GSP needs a HOV between lincroft or PNC and montclair

The fastest routing would actually be the Belt Parkway, assuming the MTA could get a permit for that. B35 via Church came up with a good routing, but I can't remember where he posted it.

Well yeah, you'll get no arguments from me. I've been using the X17J to get in of late and we use the bus lane on 34th street and it actually does speed things up. It would help make the X1, X2, X3 and X9 more reliable and faster and help them not bunch as much.

Now if only the drivers along Hylan Blvd thought the same way. ;)

No offense but the kings plaza rte ur better off extending the B2!!!!!!! over ave P then bay parkway and belt parkway express to st george via vanderbilt. some to SI mall via mclean and richmond hill as a short cut of S79.

Perth amboy again just extend S56 to old bridge via south amboy RR station connecting to NJT's very frequent 139 and their NJCL for shore destinations. Uhh ft hamilton is kinda extreme were you watching my queens ideas???? If that rte is made send it to prospect park area or windsor terrance. S55 will be dependant on academy this will pressure academy a bit to enhance service as GSP bound folk who try it will be exposed to the schedule of academy this increases ridership on their lines due to S55 feeding it S55 is residential many folks here who are not manhattan bound will go to areas served by academy. 139 however may have the opposite effect on S56 and the NJCL will pressure SI ridership and pressure S56 cause if one connecting service is weak ppl will bitch and pressure expansion. I am literally manipulating the lines to dance to my tune. BK no offense but 86th street routing looks like a duplicate of B1 remember MTA HATES DUPLICATES. PPL will use B1 to B3. For knapp street let B74 run as a neptune ave line remember neptune has NO SERVICE NOW!!!!!!!!!! B74 to kings plaza will provide the service via neptune and emmons and knapp street ave u DONE simple keep it simple. If ur gonna make a kings plaza rte it needs the BELT so ppl will see it then they may consider using it in the future. My NJ ideas are similar to maryland devour and conquer is my usual routing style where a rte is replaced. In NYC I extend to nearest major transfer point via the hwy or a direct street that has cars but no bus rte. The lines are then marketed as quick alternatives. Similar to Q64 to ridgewood or broadway jct via central ave or cooper street

The B2 should be eliminated and replaced with more frequent B100 service. Rather than have two not-so-frequent routes a block apart, it's better to have one frequent route along one street.

In any case, extending the B2 all the way to SI sounds like your plan to convert the Q79 into some type of regional route: The people just want a shuttle within their neighborhood, not some route all the way out to The Bronx (or in this case Staten Island).

That's the point I kept on bringing up in the SI thread: I have no problem with extending the routes to fill a gap (in SI-NJ service), but all that's needed is to connect to the nearest train station (and the S56 and S98 end close to the bridges, whereas the B2 doesn't)

As far as duplication goes, you're right. The purpose of the route should be to provide faster service to Southern Brooklyn. Yeah, going along 86th Street saves a transfer, but going along the Belt Parkway is where the real time savings would come from.

The fastest routing would actually be the Belt Parkway, assuming the MTA could get a permit for that. B35 via Church came up with a good routing, but I can't remember where he posted it.

Now if only the drivers along Hylan Blvd thought the same way. :P

The B2 should be eliminated and replaced with more frequent B100 service. Rather than have two not-so-frequent routes a block apart, it's better to have one frequent route along one street.

In any case, extending the B2 all the way to SI sounds like your plan to convert the Q79 into some type of regional route: The people just want a shuttle within their neighborhood, not some route all the way out to The Bronx (or in this case Staten Island).

That's the point I kept on bringing up in the SI thread: I have no problem with extending the routes to fill a gap (in SI-NJ service), but all that's needed is to connect to the nearest train station (and the S56 and S98 end close to the bridges, whereas the B2 doesn't)

As far as duplication goes, you're right. The purpose of the route should be to provide faster service to Southern Brooklyn. Yeah, going along 86th Street saves a transfer, but going along the Belt Parkway is where the real time savings would come from.

exactly however I'd make B100 go down ocean parkway to coney island hospital via quentin rd. Thus making B2 and B100 completely different!!!!!!!!!! Plus this means B100 is the neighborhood rte while B2 is not and becomes regional. Plus my Q79 plan was cut back to bay terrance. PPL can transfer to a shortline or rockland coaches rte to get to GWB

exactly however I'd make B100 go down ocean parkway to coney island hospital via quentin rd. Thus making B2 and B100 completely different!!!!!!!!!! Plus this means B100 is the neighborhood rte while B2 is not and becomes regional. Plus my Q79 plan was cut back to bay terrance. PPL can transfer to a shortline or rockland coaches rte to get to GWB

But that's the thing: I don't think that area really wants a regional route. If a regional route is created, it should be a completely seperate route, so that people going to the subway aren't messed up on a long-distance delay.

How about this: The B100 goes to CI Hospital, the B31 gets extended to Bay Ridge (via Avenue P->65th Street->Bay Ridge Avenue, replacing the northern part of the B64, similar to BrooklynBus' plan), and a new route is created to travel along the Belt Parkway.

But that's the thing: I don't think that area really wants a regional route. If a regional route is created, it should be a completely seperate route, so that people going to the subway aren't messed up on a long-distance delay.

How about this: The B100 goes to CI Hospital, the B31 gets extended to Bay Ridge (via Avenue P->65th Street->Bay Ridge Avenue, replacing the northern part of the B64, similar to BrooklynBus' plan), and a new route is created to travel along the Belt Parkway.

from where??

Archived