Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

True, but all things being equal (equal frequencies, equal crowding, etc), there's always more ridership on Saturday.

The X10 gets less ridership on weekends but the X1s are packed all day on Sunday and right through the night. The X1 only has low ridership on Sundays early morning to Staten Island & early evening to Manhattan. They can take some of those low ridership buses and have the X1 run a bit later at night.

I see no inconvenience. Just have them use that +SBS+ loop and you're done.

Realistically, it won't be much faster than the ferry, though.

Yep, the bus loop would be perfect. The DOT should use buses from Castleton because they're governed very high and CAS will soon have 5 different types of local buses for use (O5s, NGs, Novas, 3Gs, & New Flyers). The ride itself wouldn't be any quicker than the austin & noble but at least the wait for the buses would be shorter which I think outweighs it taking the same time.

As far as the savings go, they are $4.1 million, which I don't think would be enough to boost overnight service to 30 minutes on the connecting routes. But once you're in Staten Island, that's most of the battle. Remember that this could sort of substitute for 24/7 express service, so people could always try to take a taxi home. At least they saved themselves 30 minutes of waiting, and they have an additional stop to choose from (see below)

There's no way the SI politicians are going to allow them to cut overnight ferry service without having the MTA provide buses to meet the ferry shuttle. They managed to save the overnight ferry service from getting the axe earlier this year but they never said that it was off the table.

I'd have 2 stops: One around the Lily Pond Avenue exit, and the other of course being St. George, with maybe 1 stop in between. It would be kind of stupid to have to go all the way to St. George just to double back.

I would have it so that the ferry shuttle line runs in a loop and two buses would depart from the SBS bus loop, clockwise and counter-clockwise. The counter-clockwise route would be the North Shore one running down Bay Street through St George using Richmond Terrace to Broadway where it turns left and heads down to clove road to hylan Blvd & back onto to the expressway. The Clockwise route would do the reverse, the 1st stop would be fingerboard, then head to Hylan & Clove and back up to Richmond Terrace using Clove & Broadway and to expressway using Bay Street.

OR

No stops at all between Manhattan & St George and have the MTA run the buses & train every 30 minutes. The ferry shuttle that wouldn't make any connections to any buses or SIR because they are all hourly, wouldn't have too much ridership and it would the same as if you waited an hour for the ferry.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no way the SI politicians are going to allow them to cut overnight ferry service without having the MTA provide buses to meet the ferry shuttle. They managed to save the overnight ferry service from getting the axe earlier this year but they never said that it was off the table.

When did this happen and how do they expect folks to get off of the island who are not near other alternatives?? :mad::mad:

1) The X10 gets less ridership on weekends but the X1s are packed all day on Sunday and right through the night. The X1 only has low ridership on Sundays early morning to Staten Island & early evening to Manhattan. They can take some of those low ridership buses and have the X1 run a bit later at night.

2) Yep, the bus loop would be perfect. The DOT should use buses from Castleton because they're governed very high and CAS will soon have 5 different types of local buses for use (O5s, NGs, Novas, 3Gs, & New Flyers). The ride itself wouldn't be any quicker than the austin & noble but at least the wait for the buses would be shorter which I think outweighs it taking the same time.

3) There's no way the SI politicians are going to allow them to cut overnight ferry service without having the MTA provide buses to meet the ferry shuttle. They managed to save the overnight ferry service from getting the axe earlier this year but they never said that it was off the table.

4) I would have it so that the ferry shuttle line runs in a loop and two buses would depart from the SBS bus loop, clockwise and counter-clockwise. The counter-clockwise route would be the North Shore one running down Bay Street through St George using Richmond Terrace to Broadway where it turns left and heads down to clove road to hylan Blvd & back onto to the expressway. The Clockwise route would do the reverse, the 1st stop would be fingerboard, then head to Hylan & Clove and back up to Richmond Terrace using Clove & Broadway and to expressway using Bay Street.

OR

No stops at all between Manhattan & St George and have the MTA run the buses & train every 30 minutes. The ferry shuttle that wouldn't make any connections to any buses or SIR because they are all hourly, wouldn't have too much ridership and it would the same as if you waited an hour for the ferry.

1) The problem is that the savings aren't just based on how many buses you run: They are also based at the times you run them. Those early-morning X1s would have to deadhead back to SI anyway to make another trip to Manhattan, so they figure they might as well serve some riders in the process. The same thing applies in the evening Manhattan-bound.

2) Well, that'll appease the riders and politicians, but to me, even if they ran a bus every hour, I wouldn't mind. I'd rather be on a bus than a ferry anyway. But the reason why they'd run the buses every 30 minutes is just for crowd control: If a bus can hold say, 80 people, some of those overnight ferries can get more than that, so obviously, you don't want to leave people behind on 60 minute headways.

3) Well that's just stupid on their part. Also, by that logic, the overnight buses across the city should all run every 20 minutes to meet the subway, but they don't.

4) The first route would take too long. I'd just have it go to St. George and leave it at that. The point is to save money: The fact that it better serves the riders is just a bonus.

And the bus that doesn't make the connections would have low ridership, but at least once those people are in St. George, they have other options: They can get a cab and it'll be cheaper than coming all the way from Manhattan (that's why I recommended having a couple of stops along Bay Street as well)

When did this happen and how do they expect folks to get off of the island who are not near other alternatives?? :mad::mad:

There was a plan to bustitute the ferry at night, so he used the wrong term. Technically, they would eliminate the ferry, but they'd run buses to compensate. With the fact that they'll run more frequently than the ferry, it's a win-win.

1) The problem is that the savings aren't just based on how many buses you run: They are also based at the times you run them. Those early-morning X1s would have to deadhead back to SI anyway to make another trip to Manhattan, so they figure they might as well serve some riders in the process. The same thing applies in the evening Manhattan-bound.

2) Well, that'll appease the riders and politicians, but to me, even if they ran a bus every hour, I wouldn't mind. I'd rather be on a bus than a ferry anyway. But the reason why they'd run the buses every 30 minutes is just for crowd control: If a bus can hold say, 80 people, some of those overnight ferries can get more than that, so obviously, you don't want to leave people behind on 60 minute headways.

3) Well that's just stupid on their part. Also, by that logic, the overnight buses across the city should all run every 20 minutes to meet the subway, but they don't.

4) The first route would take too long. I'd just have it go to St. George and leave it at that. The point is to save money: The fact that it better serves the riders is just a bonus.

And the bus that doesn't make the connections would have low ridership, but at least once those people are in St. George, they have other options: They can get a cab and it'll be cheaper than coming all the way from Manhattan (that's why I recommended having a couple of stops along Bay Street as well)

There was a plan to bustitute the ferry at night, so he used the wrong term. Technically, they would eliminate the ferry, but they'd run buses to compensate. With the fact that they'll run more frequently than the ferry, it's a win-win.

If they are gonna be that retarted then yd be better off adding overnight service to all express SI rtes and have em run open door with reduced fare. That eliminates the stupid ferry bus the catch is local service around the ferry will be radically reduced overnight cause many express buses blanket SI anyway DONE. DO NOT try to put ppl in a cab

If they are gonna be that retarted then yd be better off adding overnight service to all express SI rtes and have em run open door with reduced fare. That eliminates the stupid ferry bus the catch is local service around the ferry will be radically reduced overnight cause many express buses blanket SI anyway DONE. DO NOT try to put ppl in a cab

How is that retarted? It saves money and provides better service.

In any case, it's a lot easier to maintain a service (St. George-Lower Manhattan) than it is to cut it and provide service in some other area. Plus, I'm sure there are riders within St. George who need those routes to get around SI, and I don't see how running a bunch of express buses is going to save any money anyway.

How is that retarted? It saves money and provides better service.

In any case, it's a lot easier to maintain a service (St. George-Lower Manhattan) than it is to cut it and provide service in some other area. Plus, I'm sure there are riders within St. George who need those routes to get around SI, and I don't see how running a bunch of express buses is going to save any money anyway.

you want the ferry ppl to roit??? go suggest this to ppl who use the ferry at night then watch the results.

Beacause the bunch of express buses provides almost 80 % network coverage allowing some lines to just not run with exceptions and the express buses are shuttles on steriods and have fare well in this case local fare doing the job of all the lines you suggest. with this only s46,51,44 and 40 would need overnight service. with expresses taking up the slack plus some locals can truncate at night

• 1 month later...

Select bus to Brooklyn? What about 92nd Street (with its one lane for traffic) or 86th Street (with its double parked cars) during the afternoon? Can you imagine 86th Street and 4th Avenue with at least 1 B/1 there (it is their terminal as well) and at least 1 (or two) select buses there? It used to take 10 (or longer) minutes from the bridge to the final stop when there was semi-normal traffic.

I liked the ideas that are presented here and the site for another bus depot : Where else but the now closed Arthur Kill Correctional Facility.

Select bus to Brooklyn? What about 92nd Street (with its one lane for traffic) or 86th Street (with its double parked cars) during the afternoon? Can you imagine 86th Street and 4th Avenue with at least 1 B/1 there (it is their terminal as well) and at least 1 (or two) select buses there? It used to take 10 (or longer) minutes from the bridge to the final stop when there was semi-normal traffic.

I liked the ideas that are presented here and the site for another bus depot: Where else but the now closed Arthur Kill Correctional Facility.

:tup:That makes 2 of us!:cool:

Archived