Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

from where??

The Kings Plaza - St. George route, likely.

I was just going with Engineerboy's idea of the St. George - K.P. [i'd call it the S70] making Limited Stops. I don't really think it'd b all that duplicative, rather complimenting two well-used corridors, but it would be faster to travel on the Bay Parkway, so be it.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if ridership would be that great though. I mean Staten Islanders tend to go to the malls in New Jersey if anything. Kings Plaza doesn't really offer anything in terms of real high-end stuff. I stopped going there shortly after I moved from Midwood, esp. once I found a nice boutique that sold high end Italian clothing. I mean it became too over run by the wrong crowds and became a bit run down. Malls in New Jersey are classier and offer more luxury shopping. Since Staten Islanders have more disposable income and already are used to suburban living, we prefer New Jersey which offers a more suburban setting, with luxury stores to boot. :cool:

If not that then stores like Saks, Bloomingdales-Williams & Sonoma in the city are more of my cup of tea. :cool:

The Kings Plaza - St. George route, likely.

I was just going with Engineerboy's idea of the St. George - K.P. [i'd call it the S70] making Limited Stops. I don't really think it'd b all that duplicative, rather complimenting two well-used corridors, but it would be faster to travel on the Bay Parkway, so sure, why not.

That's the thing: I'm not even sure if it should go into Staten Island. I'm debating on whether it should just end in Bay Ridge and have people transfer to the SI buses there. I don't know if that transfer would turn people off from using the route, but then again, I don't know if the fact that it is more reliable by staying in Brooklyn would balance it out.

I don't know if ridership would be that great though. I mean Staten Islanders tend to go to the malls in New Jersey if anything. Kings Plaza doesn't really offer anything in terms of real high-end stuff. I stopped going there shortly after I moved from Midwood, esp. once I found a nice boutique that sold high end Italian clothing. I mean it became too over run by the wrong crowds and became a bit run down. Malls in New Jersey are classier and offer more luxury shopping. Since Staten Islanders have more disposable income and already are used to suburban living, we prefer New Jersey which offers a more suburban setting, with luxury stores to boot. :cool:

If not that then stores like Saks, Bloomingdales-Williams & Sonoma in the city are more of my cup of tea. :cool:

Well, orginally, I was thinking to have to terminate at Kings Plaza, but now I'm thinking of something along the lines of BrooklynBus' B22 idea: Going from Bay Ridge to JFK without even going into Staten Island. It would still provide access for Staten Islanders looking to go into Southern Brooklyn (as an alternative to taking 3 subway trains or sitting on the B1 as it slowly makes its way across Brooklyn).

Unfortunately, the obviously problem is that it only connects with 3 routes. Even if a second free transfer were programmed in, people might be wary of making 2 connections.

Well, orginally, I was thinking to have to terminate at Kings Plaza, but now I'm thinking of something along the lines of BrooklynBus' B22 idea: Going from Bay Ridge to JFK without even going into Staten Island. It would still provide access for Staten Islanders looking to go into Southern Brooklyn (as an alternative to taking 3 subway trains or sitting on the B1 as it slowly makes its way across Brooklyn).

Unfortunately, the obviously problem is that it only connects with 3 routes. Even if a second free transfer were programmed in, people might be wary of making 2 connections.

Hmm, I could see that being good. I see a lot of folks taking the express bus into Manhattan for the airport. I think it would be good to have it run every 15 minutes and make limited stops. I think it could run from Staten Island (not sure where) and through Bay Ridge with a few stops in Eastern Brooklyn as well. :cool:

That's the thing: I'm not even sure if it should go into Staten Island. I'm debating on whether it should just end in Bay Ridge and have people transfer to the SI buses there. I don't know if that transfer would turn people off from using the route, but then again, I don't know if the fact that it is more reliable by staying in Brooklyn would balance it out.

one problem are buses even allowed on the belt between sheepshead bay and JFK??? Last I checked the bridges don't allow it

ohh ur talking about jersey gardens??? thanks for the idea which malls do many SI ppl go to???

My SI plan did indirectly give access to jersey gardens from SI via highway cause the 99 extension requires the line to go down elmora ave guess what NJT's 115 line also goes down elmora ave before going express to jersey gardens mall via NJTP. So in a sense SI will have access to that mall via 26 or 99 from SI and a transfer at the first NJ stop which will also be 115's last sstop en rte to jersey gardens!!!!!!!

Hmm, I could see that being good. I see a lot of folks taking the express bus into Manhattan for the airport. I think it would be good to have it run every 15 minutes and make limited stops. I think it could run from Staten Island (not sure where) and through Bay Ridge with a few stops in Eastern Brooklyn as well. :cool:

That was pretty much what I was thinking.

one problem are buses even allowed on the belt between sheepshead bay and JFK??? Last I checked the bridges don't allow it

If that section is west of Flatbush Avenue, it's alright because the buses can be rerouted via local streets (like I said, it could be a limited of the B1 or B3 if it can't use the Belt Parkway).

If it's east of Flatbush Avenue, that's a problem.

ohh ur talking about jersey gardens??? thanks for the idea which malls do many SI ppl go to???

My SI plan did indirectly give access to jersey gardens from SI via highway cause the 99 extension requires the line to go down elmora ave guess what NJT's 115 line also goes down elmora ave before going express to jersey gardens mall via NJTP. So in a sense SI will have access to that mall via 26 or 99 from SI and a transfer at the first NJ stop which will also be 115's last sstop en rte to jersey gardens!!!!!!!

I've heard the Woodbridge Mall also gets a lot of SI residents. As for my family, we sometimes go to this mall in Bayonne (it's around 34th Street and Rt. 440. We get the carpool discount, so we occasionally go there instead of the SI Stop & Shop. There isn't much else of interest there).

But if Via Garibaldi's saying that they go there because it's more upscale, they're not going to be taking a bus there.

yeah, SI-ers do pan out to Woodbridge, that's nothin new.... it's a notch or two below Short hills (which is ridiculously upscale; I still cannot get over valet parking inside a mall !).... that said, you aint gettin SI-ers to take local buses to that mall (Woodbridge)....

Jersey Gardens would attract more brooklynites than it would staten islanders.... don't think for a second that all that ridership on the NJT111 are all manhattanites....

There's another mall out in NJ that SI-ers tend to drive out to... can't recall the name of it right now... not the shoppes @ old bridge either.... iono, maybe it'll hit me when I get home...

yeah, SI-ers do pan out to Woodbridge, that's nothin new.... it's a notch or two below Short hills (which is ridiculously upscale; I still cannot get over valet parking inside a mall !).... that said, you aint gettin SI-ers to take local buses to that mall (Woodbridge)....

Jersey Gardens would attract more brooklynites than it would staten islanders.... don't think for a second that all that ridership on the NJT111 are all manhattanites....

There's another mall out in NJ that SI-ers tend to drive out to... can't recall the name of it right now... not the shoppes @ old bridge either.... iono, maybe it'll hit me when I get home...

I know thats why I suggested NJT lines get extended for that purpose the lines would run with coaches so they won't have the local bus stigma most NJT lines aren't viewed as local lines well the regional expresses that is. Hence why I was against using MTA bus for service over the gothels or I-278. Plus I see many 111 riders get off at union city so it serves NJ ppl as well. The S54-57 are for transfer purposes only. The NJT lines are for much more like getting ppl to a destination

or linking to other NJT lines while providing transfer ability to MTA.

I would say to leave the S79 as the only SI Mall-Brooklyn route in the area. I just can't see any demand for another SI-Brooklyn route.

Think about it: The MTA can get more value for their money by just improving S79 service. It's not that far a walk from Richmond Road to Hylan Blvd, and people would benefit more from having frequent service where they don't have to look a schedule.

I mean, the transfer from the S74 to the S55/56/59/79/89 is fairly easy, and riders along Richmond Road can just walk down to Hylan Blvd service to Brooklyn.

Richmond Hill Road can't handle a bus. It's too narrow and has too many turns. In fact, it's known as "Snake Hill" by a lot of people.

Snake Hill is dangerous to walk or bike up/down too. Snake Hill is best suited just for car traffic.

why not reroute s59 to giffords la selected runs

Funny you should say this. The old 4, which evolved into the 59, did just that!. The 4 followed the 59's route, turning left on Hylan, then left on Nelson to Amboy then left on Giffords, right on Arthur Kill Rd, ending/starting from Richmondtown, where the County Fair is every September.

Snake Hill is dangerous to walk or bike up/down too. Snake Hill is best suited just for car traffic.

Funny you should say this. The old 4, which evolved into the 59, did just that!. The 4 followed the 59's route, turning left on Hylan, then left on Nelson to Amboy then left on Giffords, right on Arthur Kill Rd, ending/starting from Richmondtown, where the County Fair is every September.

wow. Snake hill ya mean between SI mall and richmond rd???

But if Via Garibaldi's saying that they go there because it's more upscale, they're not going to be taking a bus there.

Correction, they won't be taking a local bus there. I have no problem taking the 163 to the Garden State Plaza because that is an express bus which offers the comforts that I'm used to having on the (MTA) express buses. :cool

Well I frequent the Garden State Plaza and on occasion have frequented the mall in Short Hills. I wouldn't even bother talking about making a local bus or anything though, because Staten Islanders going to these places would more than likely be driving or taking the express bus like I do. For the one in Short Hills I've just used NJ Transit and from the train you can just get car service. :cool:

Well I like walking around in the Short Hills Mall and they do offer a few stores that I like, BUT for men's clothing, it is quite lacking. Their Bloomingdales leaves a lot to desire, esp. in comparison to the Bloomys on 59th. I prefer the Garden State Plaza because it has Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and True Religion stores and those stores I frequent a lot and actually do get very nice things there, plus there is no sales tax. :cool: True Religion I go there for the American made jeans, but I don't buy anything else since some things are "Imported", as in sweat shop made (:(), but all of the jeans are 100% Made in USA. :cool: They can even have custom made jeans made for you, but their straight leg pants, a few styles I like and am loyal to. Neiman Marcus I like too because they have a good selection of cufflinks and they carry a lot of Konstantino makes, which can be hard to find. I'm not wild about their shoe collection though and the ties are iffy in terms of quality when considering the price, so I just go to Saks or occasionally Brooks Brothers if I want a really good hand made tie of quality. As for Nordstrom, I usually get the most stuff from there. They carry some very well made "Made in USA" suits that I've bought and have had suits marked down from say $750.00 to $400.00. :cool: They also carry a few designers that I like, so I tend to get a lot of stuff there.

With that said though, I can't see myself using a local bus on Staten Island to get there. I would consider it however if it was an express bus depending on where it went. When I shop, if I have to go out and actually shop as opposed to online, I like to be discreet on what I buy and buying high end things, I don't like just walking around with those things in any old place, so what I do is take the 163 back to the city and then from there I'll just walk over to the express bus or I'll hail a yellow cab to the express bus. Overall though I do a lot of internet shopping, which is much more convenient, but of course I don't get the tax breaks. :mad:

Correction, they won't be taking a local bus there. I have no problem taking the 163 to the Garden State Plaza because that is an express bus which offers the comforts that I'm used to having on the (MTA) express buses. :cool

Well I frequent the Garden State Plaza and on occasion have frequented the mall in Short Hills. I wouldn't even bother talking about making a local bus or anything though, because Staten Islanders going to these places would more than likely be driving or taking the express bus like I do. For the one in Short Hills I've just used NJ Transit and from the train you can just get car service. :cool:

Well I like walking around in the Short Hills Mall and they do offer a few stores that I like, BUT for men's clothing, it is quite lacking. Their Bloomingdales leaves a lot to desire, esp. in comparison to the Bloomys on 59th. I prefer the Garden State Plaza because it has Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and True Religion stores and those stores I frequent a lot and actually do get very nice things there, plus there is no sales tax. :cool: True Religion I go there for the American made jeans, but I don't buy anything else since some things are "Imported", as in sweat shop made (:(), but all of the jeans are 100% Made in USA. :cool: They can even have custom made jeans made for you, but their straight leg pants, a few styles I like and am loyal to. Neiman Marcus I like too because they have a good selection of cufflinks and they carry a lot of Konstantino makes, which can be hard to find. I'm not wild about their shoe collection though and the ties are iffy in terms of quality when considering the price, so I just go to Saks or occasionally Brooks Brothers if I want a really good hand made tie of quality. As for Nordstrom, I usually get the most stuff from there. They carry some very well made "Made in USA" suits that I've bought and have had suits marked down from say $750.00 to $400.00. :cool: They also carry a few designers that I like, so I tend to get a lot of stuff there.

With that said though, I can't see myself using a local bus on Staten Island to get there. I would consider it however if it was an express bus depending on where it went. When I shop, if I have to go out and actually shop as opposed to online, I like to be discreet on what I buy and buying high end things, I don't like just walking around with those things in any old place, so what I do is take the 163 back to the city and then from there I'll just walk over to the express bus or I'll hail a yellow cab to the express bus. Overall though I do a lot of internet shopping, which is much more convenient, but of course I don't get the tax breaks. :mad:

EXACTLY WHY I CHOSE NOT TO EXTEND AN MTA ROUTE FOR THIS!!!!!!! You just said it EXPRESS BUS!!!!!! That is what my plan creates certain NJT lines become regional thus becoming so called express!!!!!!!! Plus most NJT buses are very comfortable and even their local buses have comfort levels rivaling MTA express routes due to onlly using suburban cushioned seating!!!!! You won't use a local bus. Cause once S54/57 extend they can't be called locals anymore!!!!!!!!! same case with S55/56 yes those 4 lines have nothing to do with your destination or travel types. However I did gain some much needed info to complete my NJT proposal. You do realize from NJT train the stop to reach short hills is actually summit from there NJT70 line takes you there directly and quickly seriously stop wasting money on unnessesary car service when NJT already has you covered for that sheesh.

O FYI once S54 gets secaucus you can use that to get a bergen line train to broadway for NJT 770 to garden state plaza or 171 at radburn (O S54-57 will be express in NJ BTW).

You do realize S54-57 will gain express bus characteristics with their NJ extensions you realize once in SI express buses are as slow as many local buses or as fast as LTD's right since they use local streets and only use highway en rte to manhattan. Same style will apply to S54-57 remember they are in express territory.

EXACTLY WHY I CHOSE NOT TO EXTEND AN MTA ROUTE FOR THIS!!!!!!! You just said it EXPRESS BUS!!!!!! That is what my plan creates certain NJT lines become regional thus becoming so called express!!!!!!!! Plus most NJT buses are very comfortable and even their local buses have comfort levels rivaling MTA express routes due to onlly using suburban cushioned seating!!!!! You won't use a local bus. Cause once S54/57 extend they can't be called locals anymore!!!!!!!!! same case with S55/56 yes those 4 lines have nothing to do with your destination or travel types. However I did gain some much needed info to complete my NJT proposal. You do realize from NJT train the stop to reach short hills is actually summit from there NJT70 line takes you there directly and quickly seriously stop wasting money on unnessesary car service when NJT already has you covered for that sheesh.

O FYI once S54 gets secaucus you can use that to get a bergen line train to broadway for NJT 770 to garden state plaza or 171 at radburn (O S54-57 will be express in NJ BTW).

You do realize S54-57 will gain express bus characteristics with their NJ extensions you realize once in SI express buses are as slow as many local buses or as fast as LTD's right since they use local streets and only use highway en rte to manhattan. Same style will apply to S54-57 remember they are in express territory.

LOL! You can call whatever you want, but in my book they are nothing more than local buses, even if they make limited stops.

LOL! You can call whatever you want, but in my book they are nothing more than local buses, even if they make limited stops.

The S54-57 will be closed door in NJ with few exceptions. Plus they have nothing to do with your travel patterns. My NJT plan will take care of that plus unlike my other ideas my dutchess,NY and NJT plans are consolidation proposals regional express routes are simply a side effect of mergers over the highway. Also S54-57 travel faster than most other SI locals right. Besides if my NJT ideas go into effect you will be able to use NJT to short hills with only 2 lines

I think he means it differently. The 4 served Richmond Avenue and Giffords Lane, whereas his plan would just have it serve Giffords Lane.

Yeah, but realistically, can you see a Staten Islander taking any bus to reach Short Hills? I mean, if they're going to an upscale mall, they most likely wouldn't want to deal with having to drag their stuff on and off the buses.

You said yourself that you're different from a lot of express riders in that you're willing to transfer, rather than just jumping into a car as soon as you get off.

Well, I don't think they would have limited stops within Staten Island, considering the fact that there's no local counterpart.

I think he means it differently. The 4 served Richmond Avenue and Giffords Lane, whereas his plan would just have it serve Giffords Lane.

Yeah, but realistically, can you see a Staten Islander taking any bus to reach Short Hills? I mean, if they're going to an upscale mall, they most likely wouldn't want to deal with having to drag their stuff on and off the buses.

You said yourself that you're different from a lot of express riders in that you're willing to transfer, rather than just jumping into a car as soon as you get off.

Well, I don't think they would have limited stops within Staten Island, considering the fact that there's no local counterpart.

Actually for short hills it would be an NJT route so it would have the same closed-door policy in SI as express buses plus the fastest way to short hills mall is either I78 or morris ave again 52 can extend and with 70 already going there along with 58 extension to morris SI ppl will be able to use only 2 buses that's it. O and with the express nature they can manipulate their travel patterns at will. Oh and most NJT lines have racks for baggage. Plus I will say it again ONLY S54,55,56 AND 57 are able to enter NJ without distrupting their routes plus it will be like taking an express bus to NJ.

• 1 month later...

I didn't notice this thread was so far back. I would just like to comment that bus service on SI during September has really improved. The buses are showing up on time and actually running pretty well. The S46 & S53 have most of the novabuses on the lines and they really make a huge difference service-wise because of how fast they are.

The X1 & X10 are also more timely but why does the X1 end so early on Sundays.. If you're gone for a weekend or working a late night shift you have to trek to the ferry and wait forever for that tiny boat with all the drunk people to show up. The sunday schedule for the X1 & X10 should be the same as the saturday schedule. :tdown:

I didn't notice this thread was so far back. I would just like to comment that bus service on SI during September has really improved. The buses are showing up on time and actually running pretty well. The S46 & S53 have most of the novabuses on the lines and they really make a huge difference service-wise because of how fast they are.

The X1 & X10 are also more timely but why does the X1 end so early on Sundays.. If you're gone for a weekend or working a late night shift you have to trek to the ferry and wait forever for that tiny boat with all the drunk people to show up. The sunday schedule for the X1 & X10 should be the same as the saturday schedule. :tdown:

I would guess that more people use the X1 and X10 on Saturday than Sunday.

I would guess that more people use the X1 and X10 on Saturday than Sunday.

You know what they say when you guess... The (MTA) is just trying to skimp on service and they're under the impression that Sunday ridership is generally lower across the system. However, they clearly know that ridership on Sundays has been growing on both the X1 and X10, hence why they increased the frequencies on the X10 from 45 to 20 minutes in some cases and the 45 minute frequencies should've been at least 30 minutes years ago. :mad: The last X1s and X10s on Saturdays & Sundays have been SRO, especially back in the summertime and I spoke at the board meeting in July urging them about the need for not only better frequencies on the weekends, but particularly expanded service past the current times. They have the X17C service good in terms of going to the city, but the X17C going back to Staten Island should run later. I would have the X10 run until at least 01:30 on Saturdays and the X1 would run until 03:00 in the morning back to Staten Island, and I would keep 30 minute intervals.

The X1, X10 and X17 have the highest ridership in the entire express bus system and I pointed that out to them as well, and in order to keep things "cost neutral", I proposed pulling select buses going to the city that aren't heavily used later in the evening in exchange for having better frequencies later on at night, and later service on Saturday and Sunday. As it is now, I'm sure they could pull 2 or 3 buses and have those buses run later at night. I plan on speaking about it again at the next meeting. I also see that they apparently have what looks like are dispatchers, at least in the city at times. I saw one (at least a parked dispatcher car anyway) during a terrible rain storm last weekend I think there by the last X10 bus stop, but they need to be patrolling more often ON Staten Island on Saturdays and Sundays because those X10s are ridiculously early going to the city and it needs to stop and I intend on writing in and complaining until something is done.

Some X10s are running 10 minutes early going to the city and people ARE indeed being left behind or are being forced to run for the bus. I mean I don't think you should have to show up any earlier than 5 minutes for a bus. Anything past that is too early because if the bus runs every 20 minutes, then how early are you going to show up? :mad:

Well, ridership is definitely lower on Sunday (even counting the displaced X17 riders), but the service should still end at the same time (just add another run at 23:30 for the X10 and 00:00 for the X1)

As far as Saturday service goes, the thing is that they might be hesitant about adding those last couple of runs because it would require them to deadhead all the way back to Manhattan. What I would do is just add a 02:00 X1 trip and a 00:45 trip for the X10, and expand the last run from SI by an hour (the last X1 would leave at 23:00 and the last X10 would leave at 22:00)

But for the life of me, I can't understand why the DOT doesn't want to bustitute the ferry at night. It would save them money and provide more frequent service (every 30 minutes). I just don't see the downside. The MTA doesn't have to provide connecting buses (the ferry bus runs every 30 minutes and the SI buses run every 60 minutes), so there's no added cost there.

Well, ridership is definitely lower on Sunday (even counting the displaced X17 riders), but the service should still end at the same time (just add another run at 23:30 for the X10 and 00:00 for the X1)

As far as Saturday service goes, the thing is that they might be hesitant about adding those last couple of runs because it would require them to deadhead all the way back to Manhattan. What I would do is just add a 02:00 X1 trip and a 00:45 trip for the X10, and expand the last run from SI by an hour (the last X1 would leave at 23:00 and the last X10 would leave at 22:00).

Yeah, but the funny thing is that now I am less hesitant to go to the city on Sundays because of the better frequencies. I mean if I know that I can get a bus to the city every 20 minutes on Sundays in some cases, it makes me more willing to go as opposed to waiting 45 minutes, as was the case in the past for most of the day. I'm sure others had the same mentality.

You know what they say when you guess... The (MTA) is just trying to skimp on service and they're under the impression that Sunday ridership is generally lower across the system. However, they clearly know that ridership on Sundays has been growing on both the X1 and X10, hence why they increased the frequencies on the X10 from 45 to 20 minutes in some cases and the 45 minute frequencies should've been at least 30 minutes years ago. :mad: The last X1s and X10s on Saturdays & Sundays have been SRO, especially back in the summertime and I spoke at the board meeting in July urging them about the need for not only better frequencies on the weekends, but particularly expanded service past the current times. They have the X17C service good in terms of going to the city, but the X17C going back to Staten Island should run later. I would have the X10 run until at least 01:30 on Saturdays and the X1 would run until 03:00 in the morning back to Staten Island, and I would keep 30 minute intervals.

The X1, X10 and X17 have the highest ridership in the entire express bus system and I pointed that out to them as well, and in order to keep things "cost neutral", I proposed pulling select buses going to the city that aren't heavily used later in the evening in exchange for having better frequencies later on at night, and later service on Saturday and Sunday. As it is now, I'm sure they could pull 2 or 3 buses and have those buses run later at night. I plan on speaking about it again at the next meeting. I also see that they apparently have what looks like are dispatchers, at least in the city at times. I saw one (at least a parked dispatcher car anyway) during a terrible rain storm last weekend I think there by the last X10 bus stop, but they need to be patrolling more often ON Staten Island on Saturdays and Sundays because those X10s are ridiculously early going to the city and it needs to stop and I intend on writing in and complaining until something is done.

Some X10s are running 10 minutes early going to the city and people ARE indeed being left behind or are being forced to run for the bus. I mean I don't think you should have to show up any earlier than 5 minutes for a bus. Anything past that is too early because if the bus runs every 20 minutes, then how early are you going to show up? :mad:

You've definitely hit the nail on the head... The frequencies on the X1 & X10 don't really need to be increased after 10-11pm but if they ran later towards SI, it would help out many people especially on the weekends.

And when it comes to the X10, unless you live in Port Richmond the rule of thumb is that you should be at the bus stop at least 10 minutes early. The MTA schedules the X10 so that it has about 35 minutes to travel in Staten Island towards the VZ Bridge, when in actuality it only takes them 20-22 minutes on average. I don't mind the X10s running early though, as it means for a quick ride and the buses are usually full regardless, so you just have to figure out for yourself what time the X10 gets to your stop. (until bustime is activated)

But for the life of me, I can't understand why the DOT doesn't want to bustitute the ferry at night. It would save them money and provide more frequent service (every 30 minutes). I just don't see the downside. The MTA doesn't have to provide connecting buses (the ferry bus runs every 30 minutes and the SI buses run every 60 minutes), so there's no added cost there.

I agree, they should definitely consider that especially considering the fact that the city is strapped for money. Replacing overnight ferry service may first seem as a huge inconvenience but if you take the express at night, it only takes them 10 minutes to travel the Gowanus. The other 6-8 minutes would be spent traveling down an empty Bay Street. With the money saved from not running the ferry, I wonder if that could be used to up the overnight SI locals to every 30 minutes to match the ferry bus service.

Yeah, but the funny thing is that now I am less hesitant to go to the city on Sundays because of the better frequencies. I mean if I know that I can get a bus to the city every 20 minutes on Sundays in some cases, it makes me more willing to go as opposed to waiting 45 minutes, as was the case in the past for most of the day. I'm sure others had the same mentality.

True, but all things being equal (equal frequencies, equal crowding, etc), there's always more ridership on Saturday.

I agree, they should definitely consider that especially considering the fact that the city is strapped for money. Replacing overnight ferry service may first seem as a huge inconvenience but if you take the express at night, it only takes them 10 minutes to travel the Gowanus. The other 6-8 minutes would be spent traveling down an empty Bay Street. With the money saved from not running the ferry, I wonder if that could be used to up the overnight SI locals to every 30 minutes to match the ferry bus service.

I see no inconvenience. Just have them use that +SBS+ loop and you're done.

Realistically, it won't be much faster than the ferry, though.

As far as the savings go, they are $4.1 million, which I don't think would be enough to boost overnight service to 30 minutes on the connecting routes. But once you're in Staten Island, that's most of the battle. Remember that this could sort of substitute for 24/7 express service, so people could always try to take a taxi home. At least they saved themselves 30 minutes of waiting, and they have an additional stop to choose from (see below)

I'd have 2 stops: One around the Lily Pond Avenue exit, and the other of course being St. George, with maybe 1 stop in between. It would be kind of stupid to have to go all the way to St. George just to double back.

Archived