Starting Next Week (Jan 20) 2010....

S78 via Hylan

They should charge a fare at all stations. There is no reason SI should get a free ride.

I was talking to someone that works for (SIR) an he said that the major stations like New Dorp, Eltingville and Grasmere. I agree with him because the stations that barely get any people like Jefferson Av, Nassau, Atlantic would get almost no fare from passengers.

IMO, we shouldn't pay to exit.

Well, until every station has entry fare control, there is still a way to get a free ride.
No, not really. At Tompkinsville Station, Victory Boulevard becomes the access and Hannah Street becomes emergency only on Wednesday January 20th.

The next station down is Stapleton Station at Cebra Avenue and Bay Street with the north access Prospect Street. That's a nice walk to/from the Staten Island Ferry.

Rides will be "free" only between Tottenville Teminal and Stapleton Station.

What if some wise guy rides one stop from St. George to Tompkinsville?

I think the exit fares will only be collected by turnstiles on the northbound/St George-bound platform, so that people can no longer exit and walk to the ferry. If you are travelling Tottenville-bound, there will be no exit fare since you would have had to pay to enter at St George anyway. There would still be an entry fare on the Tottenville-bound direction at Tompkinsville, since otherwise people would be able to walk from the ferry to Tompkinsville and get a free ride.

I was talking to someone that works for (SIR) an he said that the major stations like New Dorp, Eltingville and Grasmere. I agree with him because the stations that barely get any people like Jefferson Av, Nassau, Atlantic would get almost no fare from passengers.

IMO, we shouldn't pay to exit.

You only pay to exit, because at most SIRT stations you don't pay to enter.

Also, the little brochure at the St George terminal said that if you pay to enter at St George, and swipe your Metrocard to exit at Tompkinsville, you aren't charged to exit.

I'm in favor of fare control on the whole line, then again i have never stepped foot on it.

IIRC, they usually cite that the cost to install turnstiles as well as other fences and stuff along the line to ensure that it is a fully fare-paid area would cost more than keeping it a free ride. I think they should have kept collecting the fares on board, but since they haven't, they should really switch to a POP system like that new special-bus route in the Bronx. Not that I would know anything about that..

Before this happened, people could literally ride from Tottenville to lower Manhattan without paying a penny if they got off at Tompkinsville.

My question is, who's trying to do that? It's not worth the long uphill walk along Bay St just to save a couple of dollars, plus you'll miss the connecting ferry. And unless you're going somewhere in Lower Manhattan, you're going to have to pay for the subway or bus eventually, so why put yourself through the trouble.

It seems like everyone who's not from Staten Island thinks that anyone getting off at Tompkinsville is trying to beat the fare at St. George. When in fact, Tompkinsville itself is a major destination on Staten Island.

IIRC, they usually cite that the cost to install turnstiles as well as other fences and stuff along the line to ensure that it is a fully fare-paid area would cost more than keeping it a free ride. I think they should have kept collecting the fares on board, but since they haven't, they should really switch to a POP system like that new special-bus route in the Bronx. Not that I would know anything about that..

I agree with you there. A POP system should have been considered long ago.

My question is, who's trying to do that? It's not worth the long uphill walk along Bay St just to save a couple of dollars, plus you'll miss the connecting ferry. And unless you're going somewhere in Lower Manhattan, you're going to have to pay for the subway or bus eventually, so why put yourself through the trouble.

It seems like everyone who's not from Staten Island thinks that anyone getting off at Tompkinsville is trying to beat the fare at St. George. When in fact, Tompkinsville itself is a major destination on Staten Island.

It has been a long time since people got off at Tompkinsville to walk to the ferry.

Archived