(Z) train saved?

LRG

I never got how does (J)(Z) skip-stop operate? Can someone please explain this?

A train idles in a station for 30 seconds. It has to decelerate and accelerate upon entering and leaving the station, adding more time to the trip. With skip stop, the trains do not lose time for stopping at the stations, sitting at the station, and then starting up again. (J) and (Z) trains operate roughly every five minutes ((J) train-five minutes-(Z) train-five minutes...etc.), and by doing skip-stop, the trip time from Jamaica Center to Marcy Avenue is shaved off between five and ten minutes. Hope that helps.

I never got how does (J)(Z) skip-stop operate? Can someone please explain this?

As best I can, (J)/(Z) trains alternate select stops between Sutphin Boulevard and Myrtle Avenue, to make for an express train where there aren't any express tracks (for the most part), during rush hours only. If I have it right, the (Z) is one stop faster.

As best I can, (J)/(Z) trains alternate select stops between Sutphin Boulevard and Myrtle Avenue, to make for an express train where there aren't any express tracks (for the most part), during rush hours only. If I have it right, the (Z) is one stop faster.

(J):

1. Myrtle Avenue

2. Kosciuszko Street

3. Halsey Street

4. Broadway Junction

5. Alabama Avenue

6. Cleveland Street

7. Crescent Street

8. Cypress Hills

9. 85th Street

10. Woodhaven Boulavard

11. 111th Street

12. Sutphin Boulevard

(Z):

1. Myrtle Avenue

2. Gates Avenue

3. Chauncey Street

4. Broadway Junction

5. Alabama Avenue

6. Van Siclen Avenue

7. Crescent Street

8. 75th Street

9. Woodhaven Boulavard

10. 104th Street

11. 121st Street

12. Sutphin Boulevard

Within the skip-stop zone, both (J) and (Z) trains have 12 stops, but sometimes the (Z) stops at Alabama Avenue so TA employees can have access to ENY.

It would make more sense if the Z train would only do the following stops since they have major transfer points to/from buses and the rest are Manhattan stops:

Sutphin

111st

Woodhaven

Crescent

Eastern Parkway

Broadway/Myrtle

Marcy

Delancy/Essex

Bowery

Canal

Chambers

Fulton

Broad St.

It would make more sense if the Z train would only do the following stops since they have major transfer points to/from buses and the rest are Manhattan stops:

Sutphin

111st

Woodhaven

Crescent

Eastern Parkway

Broadway/Myrtle

Marcy

Delancy/Essex

Bowery

Canal

Chambers

Fulton

Broad St.

How can that be done between Sutphin and Broadway Junction without an express track of some sort?

How can that be done between Sutphin and Broadway Junction without an express track of some sort?

I dont know, It would be nice though if there was a way to save as much time by using both express tracks after eastern parkway.. Then you have a fast express train to manhattan.

I dont know, It would be nice though if there was a way to save as much time by using both express tracks after eastern parkway.. Then you have a fast express train to manhattan.

I agree with you there. If that trackway by Alabama (if you look above near the station entrance) was utilized and continued along Jamaica Avenue, and track was laid along the el segment of Jamaica Avenue, then maybe there would be express service between Broadway Junction and Sutphin, with a stop at Woodhaven Boulevard.

(J):

1. Myrtle Avenue

2. Kosciuszko Street

3. Halsey Street

4. Broadway Junction

5. Alabama Avenue

6. Cleveland Street

7. Crescent Street

8. Cypress Hills

9. 85th Street

10. Woodhaven Boulavard

11. 111th Street

12. Sutphin Boulevard

(Z):

1. Myrtle Avenue

2. Gates Avenue

3. Chauncey Street

4. Broadway Junction

5. Alabama Avenue

6. Van Siclen Avenue

7. Crescent Street

8. 75th Street

9. Woodhaven Boulavard

10. 104th Street

11. 121st Street

12. Sutphin Boulevard

Within the skip-stop zone, both (J) and (Z) trains have 12 stops, but sometimes the (Z) stops at Alabama Avenue so TA employees can have access to ENY.

I think you missed Norwood Avenue, which is a (Z) stop rush hours and (J) at other times.

While I see the logic of skip-stop service, I wonder if the time-saving to a commute would not simply be achieved by having more frequent trains make all stops. In other words, if you miss a (J) or a (Z) train at a non-major station, you now have a 10 minute wait for the next one, and one of the other trains will pass by without stopping. I would much rather have a shorter wait on the platform than a shorter ride in the train. In any case, trains on all lines experience congestion as they near Manhattan during AM rush hours, (especially after the (M) joins the other Nassau St lines in this example) so the time saving cannot be that beneficial. If you are going to save five minutes on your commute, you might as well do so by having (J) trains stop at every station and each station having a train stop there every 4-5 minutes instead of 10.

I've always wondered how fast an express run between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue would be. Suppose the J ran express between those two stations and the Z started its runs at Broadway Junction and ran local into Manhattan. Would a J running from Jamaica Center running express from Broadway Junction be faster than the current skip-stop service?

(J):

1. Myrtle Avenue

2. Kosciuszko Street

3. Halsey Street

4. Broadway Junction

5. Alabama Avenue

6. Cleveland Street

7. Crescent Street

8. Cypress Hills

9. 85th Street

10. Woodhaven Boulavard

11. 111th Street

12. Sutphin Boulevard

(Z):

1. Myrtle Avenue

2. Gates Avenue

3. Chauncey Street

4. Broadway Junction

5. Alabama Avenue

6. Van Siclen Avenue

7. Crescent Street

8. 75th Street

9. Woodhaven Boulavard

10. 104th Street

11. 121st Street

12. Sutphin Boulevard

Yeah, I was going by the (Z) strip map on mta.info, which doesn't even list Alabama. Kind of how the WTC-bound (E) stops at Briarwood-Van Wyck and 75th Ave before 7:30pm on weekdays.

Yeah, I was going by the (Z) strip map on mta.info, which doesn't even list Alabama. Kind of how the WTC-bound (E) stops at Briarwood-Van Wyck and 75th Ave before 7:30pm on weekdays.

I meant Norwood Avenue. Sorry for the confusion.

Someone has to do some data mining, because the only thing that matters to people is that the average time it takes for them to get to their destination is low. If I can get from A to B while factoring in the time it takes for the train to arrive and for the train to get to B and it's reasonable, then I'm happy. Just keep in mind that every minute you're standing on the platform, you are moving at exactly 0 mph; lump that together with your trains average speed, and then do an average of those averages after 30 rides and you get the average time it takes for that trip. If I miss my (N) at Coney Island, I'll gladly take the (Q) local train which is about 3 to 4 minutes slower to get to Manhattan, but better than waiting another 10 minutes for the next (N) to leave.

Someone has to do some data mining, because the only thing that matters to people is that the average time it takes for them to get to their destination is low. If I can get from A to B while factoring in the time it takes for the train to arrive and for the train to get to B and it's reasonable, then I'm happy. Just keep in mind that every minute you're standing on the platform, you are moving at exactly 0 mph; lump that together with your trains average speed, and then do an average of those averages after 30 rides and you get the average time it takes for that trip. If I miss my (N) at Coney Island, I'll gladly take the (Q) local train which is about 3 to 4 minutes slower to get to Manhattan, but better than waiting another 10 minutes for the next (N) to leave.

Well said.

Archived