New to the community

nhrrwtby

I stumbled onto your forum after looking for information on NJT train equipment. This looks like the place to be for any railroad information in the NY/NJ/CT area.

I began my love of trains in 1965 at the age of 4 when friends of my mother took me on my first trip from New Haven to GCT. I was in awe as I watched the FL-9 approach New Haven station. Those same friends would take me into the City 2 or 3 times every year, usually via the Waterbury branch to Bridgeport on the old Budd RDC's. In 1974 we moved to NJ. From my bedroom window I could hear the old Erie Lackawanna Gladstone Branch MU's trundle through the crossing down the street. Saturdays were spent devising trips on the EL to Dover, Gladstone, Hoboken and points along the line. I hated to see those old MU's go, wicker seats and all!

After high school and college, military service took me around the world where I was fortunate enough to ride the rails in such places as England, Italy, Germany, Singapore, Australia and Japan. Riding the Shinkansen through the Japanese countryside is a thrill not to be missed. Perhaps my greatest adventure, however, was via a birthday present from my wife a few years back. Through her generosity I participated in the "Your Hand on the Throttle" program offered by the Essex Steam Train folks in CT. A 2-hour classroom session followed by an hour at the controls of the Valley Railroad's coal-burning Mikado #40 was easily the greatest thrill a wannabe-railroader could have.

I hope to be able to add some to the discussion on this board, but mostly I'll just read and learn from you who have made railroading your passion.

PB

:me:

• 1 month later...

Archived