Should the "E" train stop at 75th Av. and Briarwood-Van Wyck at all times?

Shortline Bus

I am sorry i dont have the link but i was reading somewhere online from the Queens neighborhood websites that the community boards near Briarwood and the Hillside Ave local stations were recently now asking the (MTA) to look into having the (E) now stop at both 75th Avenue and the Briarwood(Van Wyck & Queens Blvd) stations at all times including rush hours. They complain about the problems in the (F) line. The (E) already stops at those stops weekdays 8pm-6am and all times weekends. What you guys think?

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this is done just to spite the Springfield Gardeners. They complain so much that the MTA will add on two-three minutes to their commute, yet the other south-Eastern Queens residents will have to suffer.

Back to seriousness, I could see the bypass useful for rush hours only. Other than that, if it makes the MTA save money, I'm for it (in this case).

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this is done just to spite the Springfield Gardeners. They complain so much that the MTA will add on two-three minutes to their commute, yet the other south-Eastern Queens residents will have to suffer.

Back to seriousness, I could see the bypass useful for rush hours only. Other than that, if it makes the MTA save money, I'm for it (in this case).

well said. I wonder what our regular Nel has to say on this since he leaves in Briarwood.

I think the (F) does a great job serving brairwood-van wyck and 75th ave. The only plus would be there would not be a bottleneck between union turnpike and continental with the (E) waiting for the (F) to cross over to the express track after 75th ave or the (F) having to wait for the (E) to pass at 75th to then go express. I have no problem with the (F) only serving those stations during rush hour.

I think the (F) does a great job serving brairwood-van wyck and 75th ave. The only plus would be there would not be a bottleneck between union turnpike and continental with the (E) waiting for the (F) to cross over to the express track after 75th ave or the (F) having to wait for the (E) to pass at 75th to then go express. I have no problem with the (F) only serving those stations during rush hour.

Great point.

No, the (E) should just skip it. That way the (E)(F) will have direct access to there destination in Jamaica rather then have a train be held or something.

Of course Weekends and after 7:45PM till AM during week trains skip that that station since Jamaica Yard is full of stored cars and they need the express track for storage.

Does the (E) run express from 179th to Union Tpk and stop at Parsons or goes local(thrn skip Van Wyck)?

No, the (E) should just skip it. That way the (E)(F) will have direct access to there destination in Jamaica rather then have a train be held or something.

Of course Weekends and after 7:45PM till AM during week trains skip that that station since Jamaica Yard is full of stored cars and they need the express track for storage.

Does the (E) run express from 179th to Union Tpk and stop at Parsons or goes local(thrn skip Van Wyck)?

IIRC 4 (E) trains run express to 179th St. AM and PMs.

Negative; (E) trains bound to Jamaica - 179th Street operate local after Forest Hills. ZMan mentioned so in another thread.

IIRC 4 (E) trains run express to 179th St. AM and PMs.

The 3 out of 15 (E) trains during the rush are out of or bound to Jamaica, but they are really unscheduled. Only one train is scheduled out of 179th Street and heads out at 7:13; two trains out of WTC to 179th leave at 5:08 and 5:29.

In regards to delaying (F) trains. If such an adjustment is made wouldn't that also mean they could adjust the frequency of TPH for said stations to prevent such a delay. I figure they wouldn't stay on the same schedule if service is adjusted to run (E) and (F) trains. Either way I manage to get the E through there when it's running local anyway so it wouldn't affect me.

I always thought it should skip it all times.

I might be lucky enough for them to be proposing sending the (V) over this way now, but before that, my thing was that it is amazing that one station, or three stations (Like the ones further out, when they sent the (R) to cover the local to 179th) could complain and have service modified so they can have a direct express (instead of an across the platform transfer) when over where I am, we don't even have any direct service at all, even with an across the platform transfer. (And nobody over here ever seemed to complain about the poor service).

I always wished I could just get on an (F) or (R) and could either stay on and get to midtown, or just cross the platform for an express or the other trunk line.

The history of 168 street, Sutphin blvd, Van Wyck-Briarwood and 75th ave has always been one local train stopping at these stations going back to where the (E) was the local to 179st and the (F) was the express to 179st. These stations require one good local and the (F) is it, The has the most equipment of any line and run very frequent in my opinion and is a one seat express to midtown. The (V) is not needed anywhere north of continenetal.

Archived