Police Kill Man Carrying a Fake Gun

NX Express

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/09/nyregion/09shoot.html?ref=nyregion

Police Kill Man Carrying a Fake Gun at a School

A 22-year-old man was fatally shot by the police outside a Brooklyn elementary school on Monday afternoon after he pointed a fake gun at an officer, the authorities said.

The man, identified by a law enforcement official as George D’Amato Jr. of Brooklyn, showed up behind Public School 194, at 3117 Avenue W in the Gerritsen Beach neighborhood, about 3:10 p.m., and someone called 911 to report a man with a gun.

A Police Department spokesman said Mr. D’Amato had waved the fake gun at two adults. School had been let out about half an hour earlier, and no children were in danger, the police said.

When an officer arrived, Mr. D’Amato pointed the fake pistol at him, the police said. The officer then fired three rounds, striking Mr. D’Amato in the neck, torso and arm. The imitation pistol was silver-colored, and the barrel was inscribed “Zebra-II.”

Mr. D’Amato was taken to Coney Island Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 4:11 p.m.

The police were investigating the shooting on Monday night, including the reason Mr. D’Amato had gone to the school. They would not identify the officer who shot Mr. D’Amato but said he was still on duty.

A family member, reached at home, said Mr. D’Amato had taken the day off work to enjoy the warm spell. “He was a good kid,” she said. “His life was cut too short.”

Witnesses described the commotion near the school. “I heard three pops,” said Lydia Boris, who lives nearby. “I saw two cars on the sidewalk and three ambulances. The kids were already out of school. Most of the children were already home, thank God.”

Residents said the neighborhood was quiet.

Diana Dellacerra, who bought a house in the neighborhood 17 years ago with her husband, Gary, said she had always felt safe. “Nothing like this has happened before,” she said about 8 p.m. “Even at this time of night the doors are always unlocked.”

Close call for the officers.

Guys' father seems like a gentleman. I read a quote from the father in one of the stories about this, dad is ex-LEO and was quoted as saying he "fully understood the officers' actions". I don't think they'll be trying to hit the ghetto lottery. It also seems as if this guy had prior issues.

Archived