NJ Transit to roll out new buses this summer

Trainspotter

NJ Transit to roll out new buses this summer

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — This summer, some NJ Transit bus riders will find more leg room, more soothing colors and wider doors on new buses.

The new buses, one of which was on display Wednesday in front of the NJ Transit building, will also contain straphangers, more slip-resistant flooring and automatic announcements that will display and say when a stop is imminent.

The first 229 buses will hit the roads this year, beginning in late June or early July. The buses are part of a total of 1,145 new buses NJ Transit plans to put on the roads over the next six years at a cost of $409 million, said Dan Stessel, a spokesman for NJ Transit.

The new buses will be accessible to disabled customers and contain three security cameras.

The majority of buses will be used for short distances, such as within cities, and won't have some features such as luggage racks found on suburban buses, used for longer trips. Seventy-five of the new buses will be suburban buses.

The suburban buses will also feature reading lights and climate control devices above their seats, similar to amenities found on an airplane, said John Brayshaw, NJ Transit's director of equipment design and engineering.

NJ Transit has also been updating their rail cars. A new fleet of multilevel train cars that offer more leg room, more seating capacity and none of the much-maligned middle seats began appearing on the Northeast Corridor line in 2006.

• 1 month later...

ive heard the engines on these buses and they SUCK!!!! The engine sounds suck ass i almost fell asleep listening to the recordings on these buses on ttmg website. Geez the ways things are going in transit right now i might end up going the road of chris slaght!!!!

ive heard the engines on these buses and they SUCK!!!! The engine sounds suck ass i almost fell asleep listening to the recordings on these buses on ttmg website. Geez the ways things are going in transit right now i might end up going the road of chris slaght!!!!

CAT engine sucks.....that why I don't like new MCI buses...nothing special about them.

CAT engine sucks.....that why I don't like new MCI buses...nothing special about them.

I agree with both of you. It sucks that Detroit Diesel is out of the game!

I dunno what ya'll talking about, that NABI sounds HOT! And the Neos too.

You'll appreciate it more when you ride them. Especially if you ride an NJT Neoplan, pray that 9612, from this recording, http://www.ttmg.org/sounds/tlogan/NJT_Neoplan_9612.mp3 , shows up. It must be the loudest, best sounding Neo ever.

And don't get me started on 5201, it took alot for me to admit that bus is hot, on looks and on how it sounds. Drove me nuts when I rode it on the 158 for the first time.

Boy, with the transmission in those things, just great!

DD is great and all, but these buses don't have em so gonna have to get that out your mind.

And MCIs are perfectly fine, at least the NJT ones. With Jake Brake on those babies, can't go wrong.

I believe those are still in service in South Jersey. I believe on the 400 and 403.

Actually, they are in the Trenton area. Here is a picture of 4002 on the 600.

th_4002.jpg

NJT also has four MCI D4000 hybrids, assigned to Ironbound for the use on routes 111-7. Here is one exiting Ironbound.

th_4004-F.jpgth_4004-R.jpg

Also, those Novas aren't going anywhere until at least 2015...those are 2002 or 2003 model year (retrofitted with hybrid components by ISE Corporation).

Archived