Spirit Airlines to charge up to $45 for carry on bags on flights

Shortline Bus

Spirit Airlines to charge up to $45 for carry-on bags

BY Clare Trapasso and Bill Hutchinson

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Tuesday, April 6th 2010,

"A U.S. airline known for its ultra-low fares will begin charging fliers as much for their carry-on bags as it charges for a flight to the Bahamas.

Spirit Airlines said Tuesday that beginning Aug. 1, passengers will have to fork over $45 to store their carry-on bags in the overhead bins.

"I'm not going to pay it," said Bryan Root, 42, of Oxford, Conn., as he waited at LaGuardia Airport yesterday to board a Spirit flight to Myrtle Beach, S.C. "I'll drive just out of spite."

Natalie Diberto, 25, of Manhattan, who headed to Detroit on Spirit, said the new fee was sexist.

"Girls will have a hard time with it because we have a purse and typically another bag," Diberto griped.

Spirit is the first U.S. airline to charge passengers for carry-on luggage.

In addition to carry-on bags, the airline will continue to charge passengers $25 for a single checked bag and jack up the fee for a second checked bag to $45.

Spirit's Chief Operating Officer Ken McKenzie said the move will allow the airline to keep its ticket prices low.

A mid-April flight from LaGuardia to Freeport, Grand Bahama, costs $46 one way, only a dollar more than what the airline is poised to charge for a carry-on bag.

"Bring less; pay less. It's simple," said McKenzie, adding that purses, briefcases and small bags that slip under seats remain free. "

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/travel/2010/04/06/2010-04-06_spirit_airlines_to_charge_up_to_45_for_carryon_bags.html#ixzz0kV78Mb2o

Natalie Diberto, 25, of Manhattan, who headed to Detroit on Spirit, said the new fee was sexist.

"Girls will have a hard time with it because we have a purse and typically another bag," Diberto griped.

double-facepalm.jpg

What a moron. Wow. Ever thought of putting the purse in the carry-on bag?

Seriously, I think they should charge, but a bit less.

Remind me not to fly with Spirit Airlines. If the rest of the Airline Industry starts with this crap, I pray that we all as passengers pass up flying and use our cars or Amtrak to go around the country. I'm so tired of these businesses trying to take all my money and I don't get anything good out of it. This is foolishness at its best right here.

What a moron. Wow. Ever thought of putting the purse in the carry-on bag?

Seriously, I think they should charge, but a bit less.

Have you ever seen some of the bags girls use as a purse? They are sometimes the size of a backpack.

On the news today, there was this Scotland airline company who charges customers to go the bathroom. This is just outrageous. Why would they charge people to use the bathrooms?

It's Ryanair, an Irish airline:

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2010/04/ryanair_moves_a.html

This was first suggested about six weeks ago, but given that their top man is such a publicity-crazed knobhead it was dismissed by the media as a stunt, to go with his idea of removing seats and creating a standee area like on a bus...! Sadly it seems he wasn't joking although as they don't go very far you can always have a piss before you get on.

Yeah it's stupid, but I was on their site a few days ago. I could have had a return fare to Poland from my nearest airport for about £10 if I didn't mind travelling at strange times. Given that Poland's about two hours flying away you can't moan. Anyone who doesn't want to pay a tenner plus a couple of quid to use the toilet can easily travel via Lufthansa/BA/Air France etc and pay £150 for their ticket.

Archived