My Fantasy Map Line Suggestions (no map yet)

MTR Admiralty

I have been thinking of making a fantasy map long time ago and in fact I have actually started and stopped on various hand drawings. (Kinda like the Second Avenue Subway, eh?) But now I decided to switch to drawing the thing on the computer. It is going to be based on the current system (not from scratch), and I intend to incorporate as many Second System lines as possible. With that said, I'm creating this thread so that all of you can throw in additional ideas and suggestions for possible lines.

Two things though: I am NOT going to focus on expanding OUTSIDE of the city. And I will look at the feasibility at each suggestion. I will also return feedback to suggestions.

When I consider when enough is enough, I will use all existing ideas and build out a map. I will not be updating the map after that, unless there is an obviating reason for it.

My plans (rough sketches):

Manhattan

-A Worth Street line connecting to the IND Eighth Avenue Line; this will lead to a Utica Avenue Subway. It will join up at South 4th with the IND Houston Street Line, the Houston Street Line will hook up to the Rockaways.

-A spur of the SAS travelling down Avenue C and East Broadway

-Extension of the (7) to Lower Manhattan by travelling above the median

-A spur of the SAS under 76th Street (connects to Northern Blvd Line)

Queens

-A Northern Blvd Line servicing northern Queens

-A VAL or ALRV line (no physical connection to the subway; but free interchange) running from College Point to Jamaica LIRR (basically tracing the bus routes Q20A/:P

-Light rail travelling along Francis Lewis Blvd with free interchanges to the subway

-Extension of the 7 into Little Neck, the F to Little Neck

-Extension of the Lefferts Branch

-A subway line running through the median of I-495 from Little Neck Pkwy to Queens Blvd, then crossing into the IND Queens Blvd Line

-Use the LIRR Main Line for IND Super Express Service

-Extend the IND/BMT Archer Avenue Lines into Southeast Queens by utilising existing LIRR ROWs

-From South 4th Street, a subway travelling along Grand St (becoming Grand Avenue) then onto the I-495 (joining up with the IND QBL line)

-The proposed RX line

-LGA connection

-White Pot Jct: Trains to Rockaway, some rush hour trains to Rockaway run on the IND 8th Avenue Line

Bronx

-A Third Avenue Line in the Bronx connecting to the IND Second Avenue Subway; a line retaking the former WPR and Dyre Avenue Lines.

-A Fordham Rd Line

-Westchester Avenue/Southern Blvd Split: Realign the Pelham and WPR lines such that they will intersect at a new interchange station at the junction of Southern Blvd and Westchester Avenue. Westchester Avenue trains to go Pelham Bay Park (2)(5). Southern Blvd trains go to East 180th: (6)

-From Yankee Stadium on the Concourse Line, a new line will become the basis for a new Lafayette Avenue Line

-Also the RX line (no thoughts yet on its terminus)

-Extend Pelham Line to Co-op City; extend Concourse Line onto a Gun Hill Rd Line leading to Co-op City

-Extend the 1 further north

Brooklyn

-Utica Avenue Line

-RX Line ends at Sunset Park

-A new subway following the old BMT Culver Shuttle, then crossing straight into East Brooklyn

-Fort Hamilton Line

-Lafayette Avenue Line

Staten Island

-A subway connection crossing onto the VNB, then along the SIE, Victory Blvd and Richmond Avenue to Eltingville. It will connect to the Fort Hamilton Line.

That's it for now

What do you think about a subway connecting Flushing and Jamaica (sorry if you already mentioned this, I'm not a Queens expert).

I'm thinking of using some other technology lines for that, such as VAL or ALRT. If you notice, most Queens lines travel east-west. There are practically no north-south lines in areas east of the Meadows Park. I don't want to use existing subway lines because things can get complicated and also, lines would be unnecessarily long. (You have to think from the crew's perspective) ALRT (AirTrain technology) can also mean that it could link to the existing AirTrain infrastructure, and that means it could then be extended to LGA at a later phase. Subway construction is much more costly than say ALRT and VAL.

I'm thinking of using some other technology lines for that, such as VAL or ALRT. If you notice, most Queens lines travel east-west. There are practically no north-south lines in areas east of the Meadows Park. I don't want to use existing subway lines because things can get complicated and also, lines would be unnecessarily long. (You have to think from the crew's perspective) ALRT (AirTrain technology) can also mean that it could link to the existing AirTrain infrastructure, and that means it could then be extended to LGA at a later phase. Subway construction is much more costly than say ALRT and VAL.

That makes sense! Having one AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica to Flushing to LGA. The thing is, are you sure two-car trains will be able to handle the crowding?

The AirTrain.

Not feasible. For one thing, it has to use Bombardier equipment or stock with specifications like those of the existing stock, if it has to be compatible with the existing standard. Don't forget there are curves and PSDs that are not built to the standard that you're bring up.

So back to the map idea, any other suggestions?

Maybe extend the Fort Ham Pkwy Line via the RX to Utica, and reroute the RX via Kings Highway from Utica to wherever (Sea Beach Line, etc.)

Well I will leave those as they are, because it would avoid unnecessary turns. If you look at Fort Hamilton, it goes NE to SW. The RX route is pretty much east-west. There's going to be an acute angle turn in order for that to happen. I also want to keep the Ft. Ham line elevated, so as to avoid unnecessary subway connection. RX is in a trench, so there you go.

Well I will leave those as they are, because it would avoid unnecessary turns. If you look at Fort Hamilton, it goes NE to SW. The RX route is pretty much east-west. There's going to be an acute angle turn in order for that to happen. I also want to keep the Ft. Ham line elevated, so as to avoid unnecessary subway connection. RX is in a trench, so there you go.

NIMBYs are going to dislike anything above the ground.

That makes sense! Having one AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica to Flushing to LGA. The thing is, are you sure two-car trains will be able to handle the crowding?

If you make it $5 like the current AirTrain, that might be able to keep off some of the crowds. Don't forget, the trains can run more frequently than the subway, since there are fewer merges and turns. I think the freuqency is something like 3 minutes during peak hours, which should be enough to handle the crowds.

If you make it $5 like the current AirTrain, that might be able to keep off some of the crowds. Don't forget, the trains can run more frequently than the subway, since there are fewer merges and turns. I think the freuqency is something like 3 minutes during peak hours, which should be enough to handle the crowds.

Don't forget, Airtrain uses completely different technology than the subway.

@GarbageCanJuice: I do understand the need to make things "IND standards" because of the capacity thing, but when it comes to fantasy map making, I try to be more "conservative" (not political-wise; it only means I keep to the existing standards as much as possible). Like the thing is, if you make the IRT lines all IND/BMT standards that would mean a lot of invasive construction and time/money consuming processes. Working above ground is easy, but you also have to acknowledge the underground part.

• 2 weeks later...

MTR Admiralty: Would the Utica Avenue subway start from the IND. Fulton Street Line or the I.R.T. Eastern Parkway Line and would it run to Kings Highway or further; Also how do you feel about a Nostrand Avenue extension to either Avenue V or to Kings Plaza?

MTR Admiralty: Would the Utica Avenue subway start from the IND. Fulton Street Line or the I.R.T. Eastern Parkway Line and would it run to Kings Highway or further; Also how do you feel about a Nostrand Avenue extension to either Avenue V or to Kings Plaza?

I do agree with an extension of the Nostrand Avenue Line. As for the Utica subway, it would feed into the South 4th Street trunk line, hence it will be IND. It's basically from the IND Second System plan.

Archived