M8s To Be Used in SLE Service?

gregorygrice

While reviewing CDOT's M8 Project Documents, I came across a section that stated the M8s would be tested on the NEC between New Haven and New London and then will eventually be used for SLE service.

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/cdot-m8-project-documents

(Note: I think you have to download the file to view the second page)

Any Comments?

I believe the plan is to replace all M2's with M8's. Currently there are approximately the following numbers of cars in service:

M2: 244 (Produced between 1972 and 1977)

M4: 54 (Produced between 1987 and 1988)

M6: 48 (Produced in 1993)

For a grand total of 346 cars servicing the New Haven Line and the New Canaan Branch.

The M8 order is for 342 cars with an option for another 38 cars. The M8's will replace all M2's and be used to expand service on SLE since they can run on the different types of catenary power along with running from New Haven to GCT and the New Canaan Branch.

The M4/M6 cars will be used on the main line from New Haven to GCT. Based on manufacture dates, the M4's life expectancy is another 10 years while the M6's could be expected to run for another 15 years.

The SLE cars and trains are planned for future use on a New Haven-Springfield commter route which will remain diesel. I would also expect the Danbury trains to be shifted for more service on the Waterbury and Springfield lines as the hope is they will re-electrify the Danbury line.

So what we should have in the next 10 years is a total of 444 M4/M6/M8 cars running on the New Haven main line along with the New Canaan, Danbury and SLE branches with the M4/M6 cars only running on the mainline. The diesel rolling stock would be running on the Waterbury and Springfield lines.

The extra trains would also allow some trains to service Penn Station via the Hell Gate bridge and Amtrak trackage as some LIRR trains are re-routed to GCT via the East Side Access project.

Overall I would say this is going to be an exciting decade for the New Haven branch of Metro North. We'll see how far things get between now and then.

The extra trains would also allow some trains to service Penn Station via the Hell Gate bridge and Amtrak trackage as some LIRR trains are re-routed to GCT via the East Side Access project.

Would that mean rehabilitating the Hell's Gate part so that it has all four tracks again so that MetroNorth and Amtrak use all four tracks? That looks like the end of the Triboro RX. :(

:(

Yes, M8 can go to Penn Station because its 3rd Rail Shoes are capable to run both under and over the 3rd Rail.

The M8's 3rd Rail shoe is not capable of that. When the M8s run to Penn Station they will continue to use Amtrak's Catenary wires.

Would that mean rehabilitating the Hell's Gate part so that it has all four tracks again so that MetroNorth and Amtrak use all four tracks? That looks like the end of the Triboro RX. :(

Doesn't CSX use one of the tracks between Oak Point Yard and the Fremont Secondary through Middle Village?

SLE using the M8 will happen sometime in 2011. Westbrook is due to get rebuilt sometime this summer so the M8s can make all stops. The M8s will also use the Penn Station Line in 2015 when the ESA opens. Though I have a feeling M8s are going to replace the Meadowlands Express service by 2012. With this SLE might extend there operations to Penn Station only during rush hours though.

SLE using the M8 will happen sometime in 2011. Westbrook is due to get rebuilt sometime this summer so the M8s can make all stops. The M8s will also use the Penn Station Line in 2015 when the ESA opens. Though I have a feeling M8s are going to replace the Meadowlands Express service by 2012. With this SLE might extend there operations to Penn Station only during rush hours though.

That would be a very big extension!

I would agree that MNRR Penn Station service would be more dependent on ARC (Trans-Hudson Express). ESA would have reduced the LIRR load at Penn Station, however since there has been growth for LIRR they will need to continue service at Penn Station while adding GCT service.

Archived